Classic Gaming Tips and Tricks

Reserved for classic gaming discussions.
charlie

Re: Classic Gaming Tips and Tricks

Postby charlie » August 4th, 2021, 9:41 am

007 Fast Run:

In 007 Golden Eye for the N64, you move forwards and backwards with the analog stick, and strafe from side-to-side with the C buttons. If you strafe while running forwards, you maintain the same forward speed while moving to the left or right. Essentially this means you can run faster than anyone else if you 'aim' towards your goal at a 45 degree angle. You can probably cover somewhere between 1.5 to 2 times the amount of ground this way.

This helps a lot in the game, but it really shines in the multiplayer verses mode, especially if your friends don't know the trick (or don't understand it). Back in the late 90s I was the only one in my crew that knew how to do this. Massive advantage. I think I told my friends about it, but it didn't register with them.

Maybe this was common knowledge to most people? Not sure, I didn't read many video game forums at the time.

charlie

Postby charlie » August 4th, 2021, 9:52 am

007 Temple Headshot Trick

So I could massacre most of my friends in 007 because I knew the 'fast running' trick and they didn't. I also did 3D modeling of car parts all day at work, basically 8 hours per day in a 3D environment getting ready to play 007 in the evening, ha ha.

Anyways, a few times a year I would visit some friends in another town, and I couldn't win a single match against these guys. They could headshot me with the magnum, even if I was all the way across the largest area (like the big room in The Temple). I could never figure out how they did it, and they wouldn't tell me. I assumed they were just amazing with the aim feature.

A few years ago at a retro game party, my bro-in-law did the same thing to me. At the end of the session he was kind enough to explain how. Either one or two quick taps up on the C pad aiming buttons would line you up for a headshot. One tap for a mid-distance shot, two taps for a long-distance shot. Then you only have to worry about lining up the player horizontally, which is pretty easy. I was shocked it was that simple, but glad to know how it was done, even if it was nearly 20 years to late, ha.

PS I think this apply to a scenario where auto-aim was turned off (that's how we always played).

ActRaiser

Postby ActRaiser » August 4th, 2021, 10:49 am

I'm sure everyone on here knows this but to get the best ending in Metroid for the NES beat it in under 2 hours.

Now, when you're 10 years old, that's not going to happen.

But what you can do is enter the JUSTIN BAILEY password and start the game at the end all powered up and in your swimming suit. After entering the name use the blank spaces for the second line and you're golden to thrash everything within Zebes.

That's the type of tip that really made the game fun when I was a kid.

Voor

Postby Voor » August 4th, 2021, 5:54 pm

charlie wrote:007 Fast Run:

In 007 Golden Eye for the N64, you move forwards and backwards with the analog stick, and strafe from side-to-side with the C buttons. If you strafe while running forwards, you maintain the same forward speed while moving to the left or right. Essentially this means you can run faster than anyone else if you 'aim' towards your goal at a 45 degree angle. You can probably cover somewhere between 1.5 to 2 times the amount of ground this way.

This helps a lot in the game, but it really shines in the multiplayer verses mode, especially if your friends don't know the trick (or don't understand it). Back in the late 90s I was the only one in my crew that knew how to do this. Massive advantage. I think I told my friends about it, but it didn't register with them.

Maybe this was common knowledge to most people? Not sure, I didn't read many video game forums at the time.

I learned this years ago watching GE Speedruns. Half of those runs are made of of guys running at 45 degree angles while looking at the ground (which also increases your speed).

https://youtu.be/U9DZC3HQnFQ

charlie

Postby charlie » August 4th, 2021, 6:46 pm

Voor wrote:I learned this years ago watching GE Speedruns. Half of those runs are made of of guys running at 45 degree angles while looking at the ground (which also increases your speed).

https://youtu.be/U9DZC3HQnFQ

Very cool! I didn't know about the looking at the ground part, I should try that out sometime. That guy in the video is amazing.

Return to “Classic Gaming”