Console that most people really like but you don't care for

Reserved for classic gaming discussions.
Alucard1191

Re: Console that most people really like but you don't care for

Postby Alucard1191 » September 22nd, 2021, 10:44 pm

The claim re: Saturn Sales is that it kept up with Sony in Japan. That is patently false. Like I said, I love my Saturn, but lets be realistic. The worldwide sales for the Saturn are listed as 9.26 million. (Per Google.) Sony Playstation sold 19 million units JUST IN JAPAN. More than double the world figures.

And yeah, Saturn did 2D games well, in the polygon era. And they didn't play to the strengths of the system. (Sega had a habit with this, like the Sega CD for example.) Those great RAM expansion games? The bulk of them are Japan only. This is again... part of the revisionist history I'm talking about. The Saturn, which again is one of my favorite systems, got CRUSHED in almost every way in that generation. Because it has good games and is so unique it gets seen with rose tinted goggles.

MSR1701

Postby MSR1701 » September 22nd, 2021, 10:49 pm

Alucard1191 wrote:The claim re: Saturn Sales is that it kept up with Sony in Japan. That is patently false. Like I said, I love my Saturn, but lets be realistic. The worldwide sales for the Saturn are listed as 9.26 million. (Per Google.) Sony Playstation sold 19 million units JUST IN JAPAN. More than double the world figures.

And yeah, Saturn did 2D games well, in the polygon era. And they didn't play to the strengths of the system. (Sega had a habit with this, like the Sega CD for example.) Those great RAM expansion games? The bulk of them are Japan only. This is again... part of the revisionist history I'm talking about. The Saturn, which again is one of my favorite systems, got CRUSHED in almost every way in that generation. Because it has good games and is so unique it gets seen with rose tinted goggles.

I recall hearing the Saturn sold strongly early on in Japan (1994 n part of 1995), though large sale number data Sega reported was from units sold to stores, not thru to users.

jon

Postby jon » September 23rd, 2021, 9:54 pm

Wow, if it's true that Sega counted Saturn's sold to stores in Japan and not to users, that's pretty interesting. Even the figures that I've seen, they're obviously getting punked by the PS1. And what I found really interesting is that the N64 sold about as much as the Saturn in Japan. And that's not taking into account the possibility of Sega counting Saturn's sold to stores and not users. It makes a lot of sense. All I've been hearing is how popular it was in Japan, and it kind of sounded hard to believe to be honest. It's hard to believe Sega was taking significant market share from Sony, which is the story.

MSR1701

Postby MSR1701 » September 23rd, 2021, 10:07 pm

jon wrote:Wow, if it's true that Sega counted Saturn's sold to stores in Japan and not to users, that's pretty interesting. Even the figures that I've seen, they're obviously getting punked by the PS1. And what I found really interesting is that the N64 sold about as much as the Saturn in Japan. And that's not taking into account the possibility of Sega counting Saturn's sold to stores and not users. It makes a lot of sense. All I've been hearing is how popular it was in Japan, and it kind of sounded hard to believe to be honest. It's hard to believe Sega was taking significant market share from Sony, which is the story.

Never heard Sega being said to take significant market share from Sony in Japan, only that they had a diehard fan base for the Saturn. PSX dominated Japan, with N64 n Saturn as the next biggest competitors.

Alucard1191

Postby Alucard1191 » September 23rd, 2021, 10:41 pm

Other things I've read/heard about the Saturn were that if you have the RAM cartridges, all your games are better. Nope, the game has to be designed to work with them. Having a 4mb RAM cartridge isn't going to suddenly eliminate the slow down in Guardian Heroes, for example.

Man... if Sega made that cartridge slot compatible for the Genesis, or at least with a converter like they did with the master system, I bet that would have boosted sales quite a bit too. Oh well.

On topic though, the Master System also doesn't really appeal to me. I've heard some good things about it, but it holds no nostalgia for me and there appear to be a lot of games for it that have better versions on Genesis.

Breaker

Postby Breaker » September 24th, 2021, 3:49 pm

I'll state that I've never really cared for the SNES. Probably just a factor of growing up with a Genesis and not getting in to collecting other systems until I was in my 30s. I have a SNES and a number of highly regarded games, but I just have never got into them. Any games that I have that are on both the SNES and Genesis, I've preferred to play them on the Genny.

ActRaiser

Postby ActRaiser » September 24th, 2021, 4:27 pm

Breaker wrote:I'll state that I've never really cared for the SNES. Probably just a factor of growing up with a Genesis and not getting in to collecting other systems until I was in my 30s. I have a SNES and a number of highly regarded games, but I just have never got into them. Any games that I have that are on both the SNES and Genesis, I've preferred to play them on the Genny.

Swap SNES for Genesis for me. For all of the exact same reasons you mentioned. I even bought a Sega CD and 32x. The game that got the most play was Snatcher. Other than that I've barely played on the system even with having a good number of its top games. I told myself that one day when I retire I'll play all of them. Yeah, that's probably not going to happen as I'll play the latest of whatever is out there or have moved on entirely to different hobbies. :)

Return to “Classic Gaming”