Favorite NFL/NCAA/Arena Football Games

Reserved for classic gaming discussions.
MSR1701

Favorite NFL/NCAA/Arena Football Games

Postby MSR1701 » October 12th, 2021, 11:03 am

Tis the season of pigskin and gridiron! What are your favorite NFL (Pro), NCAA (College), Arena or other American Football game(s)?

Matchstick

Re: Favorite NFL/NCAA/Arena Football Games

Postby Matchstick » October 12th, 2021, 2:57 pm

Hee hee heeeee... This is a dead horse I will gladly beat again, MSR :D

Tecmo Super Bowl
Bo Jackson Football / Baseball (Tiger LCD Handheld. Yes, seriously.)
John Madden Football '93
Mutant League Football
NFL Gameday (the OG) and Gamebreaker (also the OG)
Madden 64 (Basically Madden '98 - IN 3D!! I would love to see a review of this one here on the site, someday.)
NCAA College Football 2K2
NFL 2K (The Original) and 2K5 (The Best)
NFL Blitz (The original version, on N64, preferably. Gotta love the Big-Head Raiden cheat!)
Blitz: The League
Mutant Football League (the most played game on my Switch - period.)

I'm sure I'm leaving a few out, but this is what comes to mind before I've had my morning coffee...

After-Coffee Edit:

NES Play Action Football
NFL Quarterback Club '99 (great Create-A-Team) and 2002 (for the QB Challenge Mode)
NCAA Gamebreaker 2004 (for the time, it had an incredible TV-style presentation)

matmico399

Postby matmico399 » October 12th, 2021, 7:32 pm

All my favorite football games were on the Genesis and the PlayStation 2. I haven't really enjoyed many before or since. NFL 2K on the PlayStation was phenomenal. Any of the John Madden games on Genesis for great and EA on the Genesis made a college game called Bill Walsh. Basically Madden with college teams. A lot of good memories.

ThePixelatedGenocide

Postby ThePixelatedGenocide » October 13th, 2021, 11:29 am

Mattel Football.

Going to grandma's house was as close as any of us could get to owning a videogame back in the days when even a 2600, adjusted for inflation, cost more than I usually spend for a computer.

Sure, the gameplay was more symbolic than sim, but that just made it more accessible to those of us who think a fleaflicker is what happens when the fleas overload the dog's cpu.

Plus, the red vs. red action was over a decade and a half ahead of Nintendo's portable efforts. And it was actually portable.

MSR1701

Postby MSR1701 » October 13th, 2021, 11:40 am

ThePixelatedGenocide wrote:Mattel Football.

Going to grandma's house was as close as any of us could get to owning a videogame back in the days when even a 2600, adjusted for inflation, cost more than I usually spend for a computer.

Sure, the gameplay was more symbolic than sim, but that just made it more accessible to those of us who thought a fleaflicker is what happens when the fleas overload a dog's cpu.

Plus, the red vs. red action was over a decade and a half ahead of Nintendo's portable efforts. And it was actually portable.

LOL

When I was growing up in the late 80s/early 90s, I played my dad's Mattel Soccer game. No clue what I was doing, but it was fun! Haven't tried the Football version, would be interesting.

For me, I like to sample the odd 16-bit NFL/NCAA game, even the absolutely terrible ones. Even the dredge of the 16-bit Football games can be of note, even if it only because they forgot to implement a key feature (penalties? what are those?) or because they have a small detail that is neat (the NCAA/NFL games by SEGA with the voice samples were quite cool for 16-bit games).

I do have to point out, as a UGA/SEC fan, the NCAA Football 09 PSP game ticked me off; I was playing as the Bama Tide and had an absurdly great season, insane game stats and was undefeated. The game featured mini-news mags with headlines from the weekly games, and NEVER ONCE DID THE SEC/BAMA FEATURE ON THEM!!!! Oh sure, Big 10, Big XII and other conferences appeared regularly and always had a tag line and artwork on the mini-mags, but it was not until about the 5th week or so that I even had a headline tag of my game, and that only referencing a Win. The whole season, it was like the SEC didn't exist...

A bit too close to reality, though in recent years the SEC has been noticed more and more.

Matchstick

Postby Matchstick » October 13th, 2021, 4:24 pm

ThePixelatedGenocide wrote:Mattel Football

Timeless. Absolutely timeless. I never had this one, myself, but I definitely saw it around when I was growing up, on the school bus and whatnot. While I can't say it was a personal favorite of mine (as I never got to do much more than just watch someone else play it) its impact on those that had it can't be understated.

Even my boss at one of my old jobs would wax on about how much he liked playing Mattel Football - while he was riding in the back of a VW Van, on "Dead Tour" with his friends. That's some universal appeal, right there!

icepeople

Postby icepeople » October 14th, 2021, 2:41 am

You're almost correct...that'd be Mattel Football 2 – the kick returns and passing remain unequaled on the LED gridiron.

ThePixelatedGenocide wrote:Mattel Football.

Sure, the gameplay was more symbolic than sim, but that just made it more accessible to those of us who think a fleaflicker is what happens when the fleas overload the dog's cpu.

Robotrek

Postby Robotrek » October 14th, 2021, 9:46 am

I had an electric football game made by Bambino and it was a lot of fun. It still plays really really well.

MSR1701

Postby MSR1701 » October 14th, 2021, 9:48 am

Robotrek wrote:I had an electric football game made by Bambino and it was a lot of fun. It still plays really really well.

You mean this?

I miss when tech toys had "futuristic" designs... This looks really cool, I hope it plays as well as you said. :)

Robotrek

Postby Robotrek » October 14th, 2021, 10:18 am

MSR1701 wrote:
Robotrek wrote:I had an electric football game made by Bambino and it was a lot of fun. It still plays really really well.

You mean this?

I miss when tech toys had "futuristic" designs... This looks really cool, I hope it plays as well as you said. :)

That's it. :)

Return to “Classic Gaming”