Dreamcast Guns No Longer Work

Reserved for classic gaming discussions.
Matchstick

Re: Dreamcast Guns No Longer Work

Postby Matchstick » October 9th, 2021, 9:23 pm

ActRaiser wrote:I've heard LED lights can interfere. No idea if it's true or not. Goodluck buying incandescents but maybe try playing with the lights off.

This... is fantastic advice. I hadn’t even considered LED lighting as a source of interference. It’s definitely worth a shot!!

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » October 10th, 2021, 9:17 am

Well I tried them without any lights and it was the same thing. It was definitely a good idea though.

Herschie

Postby Herschie » October 21st, 2021, 5:41 pm

Yet my NES Zapper is still chugging along making feathers fly in Duck Hunt. Everything truly was better in the 80s.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » October 24th, 2021, 8:44 pm

So while going thru my "gun bin" today I stumbled upon another Dreamcast light gun I didn't know I had, made by Pelican. I gave it a try, and guess what - it works! Don't get me wrong - it's not super accurate - but it's at least functional.

Matchstick

Postby Matchstick » October 24th, 2021, 10:20 pm

Hey, there's some good news! Glad you had one on hand that did the trick for you, Critic. It's interesting that every single one of your Dreamcast Light Guns were made by a different company. I guess there were a ton of third party producers back then, come to think of it...

VideoGameCritic wrote:...made by Pelican

Yeah, that's one I haven't thought about in a loooooooong time. Off the top of my head, Performance, InterAct, and MadCatz come to mind. I had forgotten all about Pelican, even though I owned several of their products. Weren't a lot of their products purple, or some other garish shade of violet??

I wonder how many of these brand names were actually the same company selling identical goods with different labels and boxes. Might make for a fun read if I decide to look into it later tonight.

Also, whether it's full of video game accessories or not, knowing that you have a "Gun Bin" in your home guarantees that I will never - ever - mess with you :lol:

noah98

Postby noah98 » October 26th, 2021, 8:06 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote:Yes

Does your CRT have a flat screen or a curved one? I find that light guns work better with the older curved screens.

Buttermancan

Postby Buttermancan » October 27th, 2021, 7:46 am

VideoGameCritic wrote:I took matchstick up on his suggestion but no luck.

I wasn't able to open the Mad Catz controller because I couldn't remove some of those tiny screws.

I was however able to open the Interact gun, and the sensor is so tiny I was like "where IS it"? Wiped it and the lens with a Q-tip, but after putting it back together I didn't notice any difference.

I'm kind of looking forward to going back and re-reviewing House of the Dead 2 with normal controllers.

I dunno if it's a great idea re- reviewing these Light gun games with a controller. Lightgun games are amongst my favourites but I won't play them without Light guns. It's just not the same. Quite often these games play terribly with a controller. Virtua Cop 2 is one of my favourite games but there's a reason I haven't played it in nearly 20 years and that's cos the experience is ruined with control pad.

Tron

Postby Tron » November 2nd, 2021, 1:54 am

Me thinks that them guns just weren’t made to last. I couldn’t get my Saturn gun to work 10+ years ago and haven’t tried again since

BlasteroidAli

Postby BlasteroidAli » November 4th, 2021, 6:38 pm

https://www.ebay.com/itm/194482289553?hash=item2d480c3b91:g:CjUAAOSwJwNhaJHq
buy another one. not sure i like how the cable is wrapped.

Return to “Classic Gaming”