Atari VCS going to major retailers 06/15?!

Reserved for classic gaming discussions.
Wehrwolf

Re: Atari VCS going to major retailers 06/15?!

Postby Wehrwolf » November 29th, 2021, 11:36 am

Allpaul wrote:If anyone cares, Microcenter has these on sale for $250:

https://www.microcenter.com/product/627 ... toreid=061

Looks like the sale already ended (it was still going at 3am local time this morning, but not now)
Last edited by Wehrwolf on November 29th, 2021, 11:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

Allpaul

Postby Allpaul » November 29th, 2021, 2:14 pm

Wehrwolf wrote:
Allpaul wrote:If anyone cares, Microcenter has these on sale for $250:

https://www.microcenter.com/product/627 ... toreid=061

Looks like the sale already ended (it was still going at 3am local time this morning, but not now)

Too bad. I was actually thinking of picking another one up.

BlasteroidAli

Postby BlasteroidAli » December 13th, 2021, 11:22 am

Allpaul wrote:I bought one, and I'm enjoying it. There are some UI things that are taking some time to get used to, but they are releasing updates all the time. I like that it's upgradable. I just bought an internal drive for it, so I'll probably put another OS on it and dual boot.

I might have won Ninja Golf on the VCS via Facebook. If I have I will pm you the code as I do not have one.

MSR1701

Postby MSR1701 » December 13th, 2021, 11:27 am

BlasteroidAli wrote:
Allpaul wrote:I bought one, and I'm enjoying it. There are some UI things that are taking some time to get used to, but they are releasing updates all the time. I like that it's upgradable. I just bought an internal drive for it, so I'll probably put another OS on it and dual boot.

I might have won Ninja Golf on the VCS via Facebook. If I have I will pm you the code as I do not have one.

If this the same Ninja Golf as the 7800/Evercade release, or a "reworked" version?

BlasteroidAli

Postby BlasteroidAli » December 13th, 2021, 8:36 pm

MSR1701 wrote:
BlasteroidAli wrote:

If this the same Ninja Golf as the 7800/Evercade release, or a "reworked" version?

Looks to be a straight port. Emulated to play on the VCS. Though there are new versions of old games out. Black Widow, Centipede and Asteroids. Also food fight is getting an update.

GeoX

Postby GeoX » December 14th, 2021, 1:02 am

VideoGameCritic wrote:Was this one of those kickstarter projects?

The only thing I can think is that they just needed to put out ANYTHING in order to fulfill their obligations necessary to keep all the cash.

Looking at it I don’t think this is the case in this instance. IF their website is honest it appears it has a good mix of gaming capabilities along with allowing people to use it as a computer (I do like their remotes with the full alphabet keyboard!) and it says you can load other emulators onto it. I actually like the look of some of those games. If they are blatantly lieing we will find soon enough when guys start shelling out 400 bucks for something half-baked.
As for the inflated price it’s a trap a lot of entrepreneurs fall into on their kickstarter projects…. price creep. They don’t seem to be very good at estimating the true cost of their creation or they don’t want to scare away investors with a high price.
I think this is overpriced by about a $150 (I wrote this before finding out about the microcenter sale). It looks like a pretty versatile machine.

Eric

GeoX

Postby GeoX » December 14th, 2021, 1:12 am

VideoGameCritic wrote:I seriously think I would prefer to play my Fairchild Channel F!

My local videogame store just got one in yesterday! In awesome condition, original box, controllers in almost mint shape and a stack of games. Of course with all these games to choose from what were they playing. HANGMAN, ugh, c’mon guys!
They were asking $300 which I would consider if they included all the games and If I had any money. :|
As it is I suspect it will be a tough sale and they will have to bring the price down.
They also have an Odyssey 2, with box, for a $130!

Eric

Allpaul

Postby Allpaul » December 18th, 2021, 12:08 pm

BlasteroidAli wrote:

I really appreciate that, but I already bought it. I'm sure there's people on Atariage that would jump all over this.

Return to “Classic Gaming”