Neo Geo vs SNES

Reserved for classic gaming discussions.
Hagane

Re: Neo Geo vs SNES

Postby Hagane » January 24th, 2022, 4:37 pm

ThePixelatedGenocide wrote:
Fanboy.

It's an easy way to dismiss someone and their observations, rather than face them head on.

Are you kidding right? I used the term ”fanboy” in a general sense, it could have been any fanboy/fanatic for anything, go read it again and learn to interpret it right, it wasn’t strictly about you, if I were to insult you you would know believe me, you clearly lost the plot and trying to play it dirty, if you don’t know how to interpret sentences then it’s not my problem. I’m done already, I've prove my points already, if it’s hard for you to accept it then I can’t do nothing anymore. Have a nice day.

ThePixelatedGenocide

Postby ThePixelatedGenocide » January 24th, 2022, 5:31 pm

Hagane wrote:
Fanboy.

It's an easy way to dismiss someone and their observations, rather than face them head on.

Are you kidding right? I used the term ”fanboy” in a general sense, it could have been any fanboy/fanatic for anything, go read it again and learn to interpret it right, it wasn’t strictly about you, if I were to insult you you would know believe me

A mild insult is still an insult. And apparently, it's still a way for you to avoid converations you can't win.

If you don't think it's a big deal, don't make it a big deal.

I've prove my points already,

Some. You got a lot of things wrong, too.

if it’s hard for you to accept it then I can’t do nothing anymore.

Ironic. I acknowledged my own shortcomings, and even gave you credit for knowing more about the present state of the Sonic demo than I did. This has been an enjoyable debate, when you actually debate.

Have a nice day.

Don't slam the door.

Robotrek

Postby Robotrek » January 24th, 2022, 6:11 pm

Hagane wrote:
Fanboy.

Are you kidding right? I used the term ”fanboy” in a general sense, it could have been any fanboy/fanatic for anything, go read it again and learn to interpret it right, it wasn’t strictly about you, if I were to insult you you would know believe me

A mild insult is still an insult. And apparently, it's still a way for you to avoid converations you can't win.

If you don't think it's a big deal, don't make it a big deal.

I've prove my points already,

Some. You got a lot of things wrong, too.

if it’s hard for you to accept it then I can’t do nothing anymore.

Ironic. I acknowledged my own shortcomings, and even gave you credit for knowing more about the present state of the Sonic demo than I did. This has been an enjoyable debate, when you actually debate.

Have a nice day.

Don't slam the door.

JERRY! JERRY! JERRY!

DrLitch

Postby DrLitch » January 24th, 2022, 6:24 pm

I usually enjoy debating on topics like this but I do not know jack about the 16 bit hardware so I cannot contribute. Talking about visual aesthetics is not semantics, I would be rendered foolish, and fast :(

I also could not enter a debate when clearly biased towards a console, my hands are tied in this respect.

That said I got to commend Nintendo on developing some of their finest software during this generation.

Thanks for putting the debate points in, this is dissemination of information at it's finest, you guys put the hard work in, I read and learn in minutes what took you hours or even years of research. It is unfair, but selfless service does not go unappreciated :D

MSR1701

Postby MSR1701 » January 24th, 2022, 6:43 pm

DrLitch wrote:I usually enjoy debating on topics like this but I do not know jack about the 16 bit hardware so I cannot contribute. Talking about visual aesthetics is not semantics, I would be rendered foolish, and fast :(

I also could not enter a debate when clearly biased towards a console, my hands are tied in this respect.

That said I got to commend Nintendo on developing some of their finest software during this generation.

Thanks for putting the debate points in, this is dissemination of information at it's finest, you guys put the hard work in, I read and learn in minutes what took you hours or even years of research. It is unfair, but selfless service does not go unappreciated :D

Hear hear!

Voor

Postby Voor » January 24th, 2022, 8:48 pm

For real. Lol. I have a friend that I will often get to watch a series and then tell me what happens. He’s a good story teller and it takes a tenth of the time.

I never was a Genesis guy and one reason is that the controller always felt bulky and weird to me. I’m sure I would have gottten used to it, but it never felt natural to me.

JWK

Postby JWK » January 25th, 2022, 3:03 pm

I’m late to this thread but haven’t been on the site in a while. The second I read the title to this thread, I knew it was jon’s. And when I realized I was right, I knew it was just a matter of time before jon claimed all the SNES could do was RPGs. I wasn’t disappointed. Lol. Jon has literally been making these claims for years and it doesn’t matter how many hundreds of posts prove him wrong, he’s not going to change his tune. That’s fine, theoretically; console and game preference are subjective anyway, but it’s nice to read the responses of others who aren’t quite so poisoned against one of the consoles.

I still believe the order is SNES>Genesis>>>>>Neo Geo. SNES and Genesis are incredibly close, both have such amazing games and were really great hardware-wise with distinct advantages over each other. This is a point for a different thread, but the Sega Saturn really took the advantages of the SNES and Genesis and combined them. Still the fast processor with a chip set well suited for 2d arcade games (like the Mega Drive) but with superior color, pixel art and sound capabilities of the SNES. It’s why I love the Saturn so much… and dislike the N64 since it did none of those things. Lol. Again, a thread for a different time. But we could have dozens of pages going back and forth about the best games for the Genesis and SNES, across every genre. The Neo Geo is certainly fun, too. While there’s a lot of truth to the accusation that the NG relied heavily on 2D fighting games, it’s also a little more varied than you might think. Baseball Stars 2 and WindJammers are two of the best sports games of that generation. Sengoku 3 is a pretty great beat ‘em up. We all know about the excellence of Metal Slug 1/X/3 in the run and gun genre, but Shock Troopers might be even better. And as a massive shmup fan, I believe most of the Neo Geo shoot ‘em ups to be fairly average, but Pulstar and especially Blazing Star are must plays. The Neo Geo has some great games, no doubt. But the SNES and Genesis had about 10x the number of great games. Each. And the variety isn’t even close. Forget RPGs and Strategy games, the Neo Geo doesn’t even have something like Castlevania Bloodlines, much less Super Metroid or A Link to the Past. You also can’t use ignorance of the NG library or inaccessibility as an excuse anymore; we’ve been able to play Neo Geo games on modern consoles for more than a decade now. They’re short, good, pretty 2D games. But if you want some variety you’ll likely need to look to the SNES, Genesis and PC Engine during that console generation. But forget the comparisons and contrasts. We should be grateful we live in a world where games from these systems are relatively easy and accessible to play. If you’re a retro gamer— pretty much everyone who posts here is— you won’t go wrong with playing games on any of these systems.

DrLitch

Postby DrLitch » January 25th, 2022, 8:43 pm

JWK wrote:... knew it was just a matter of time before jon claimed all the SNES could do was RPGs.

The SNES did compete in a space with 16/32 bit hardware like PC Engine, Genesis, Neo Geo, Sharp 68000, Amiga 500, 3D0, Atari Jaguar to name but a few. I recollect it did quite well and Nintendo only has two mainline consoles outselling it at this time of writing. JRPG's not enough to keep it locked in battle, not in western markets anyway.

JWK wrote: I still believe the order is SNES>Genesis>>>>>Neo Geo. SNES and Genesis are incredibly close, both have such amazing games and were really great hardware-wise with distinct advantages over each other.

If that gen were running today, SNES and Genesis were no brainer choices over the Neo Geo. Today? I have played the crap out of the Genesis or SNES, you know you have hit the bottom of the barrel when Cyborg Justice or Spin Dizzy gets inserted into the cart slot. If I never play on these consoles again it is fine by me. SNK has a certain freshness. Then there are little quirks. Mr Karate has a super long nose. Why? Search and learn. My two DM's.

jon

Postby jon » January 26th, 2022, 9:08 am

The only members that ever disagree with me on this are all into games like Zelda. I think Pixelated described the SNES perfectly as a "thoughtful" console. It was for slow paced adventure games and RPG's. The fast games were just poor attempts to match the Genesis hardware when it couldn't. The only reason the SNES was so successful is because of it's core franchises like Mario and Donkey Kong. The fact the Genesis even had a chance and a market was due to the SNES being terrible at a lot of genres due to it's slow as molasses processor and inability to put more than a couple sprites on the screen. And the sprites look forced compared to the Genesis like it's pushing the hardware too much or just isn't made for sprites.

ActRaiser

Postby ActRaiser » January 26th, 2022, 9:18 am

jon wrote:The only members that ever disagree with me on this are all into games like Zelda. I think Pixelated described the SNES perfectly as a "thoughtful" console. It was for slow paced adventure games and RPG's. The fast games were just poor attempts to match the Genesis hardware when it couldn't. The only reason the SNES was so successful is because of it's core franchises like Mario and Donkey Kong. The fact the Genesis even had a chance and a market was due to the SNES being terrible at a lot of genres due to it's slow as molasses processor and inability to put more than a couple sprites on the screen. And the sprites look forced compared to the Genesis like it's pushing the hardware too much or just isn't made for sprites.

Yeah, I agree F-Zero was slow as snails marching on slippery ice.

Axelay was a terrible shooter. Contra III could barely function.

Who could enjoy such garbage?

Geesh, how did we ever survive such horrible non-RPG, slow paced adventure games <sarcasm>

My hunch is, Jon, you never actually played any of the above games on actual SNES hardware on a CRT. They played fine, looked great, and were a ton of fun. You can emulate this stuff all you want on a PC but try it on actual hardware. They're all great games.

Return to “Classic Gaming”