Happy 50th Atari

Reserved for classic gaming discussions.
ThePixelatedGenocide

Re: Happy 50th Atari

Postby ThePixelatedGenocide » July 5th, 2022, 12:09 am

matmico399 wrote:Regarding consoles, what other major success did they have besides the 2600? I cherish my 2600 but I basically have no interest in obtaining the other systems. With the exception of a few exclusives is it really worth it? I mean if you have a lot of cash I understand but for the average gamer I just don't see it. I was interested in the 5200 at one time, but I can get most of those games on other systems without having to deal with the sorry joystick.

The Atari ST was a huge European success for a few years, as the more affordable alternative to the Amiga.

It earned Atari some serious UK credibility. They'd immediately lay waste to that credibility afterwards, but you could make a case for the 16-bit library being the best thing they ever put their name to.

Stalvern

Postby Stalvern » July 5th, 2022, 1:00 pm

Every ST game is a barely playable slide show with the grainiest graphics ever drawn and piercing Master System sound. I can't think of hardware from that period less suited to games (unless you want to make the case that EGA-based PCs count, but I think they distinctly belong to a previous era).

Atariboy

Postby Atariboy » July 5th, 2022, 8:37 pm

There are fun ST games like Vroom that are fast, have smooth frame rates, and are pleasant on the ears. But I never thought of it as an amazing games machine.

I'd of much rather of had an Amiga.

borntorun

Postby borntorun » July 8th, 2022, 8:53 am

I loved my ST and still do to this day. There are some phenomenal games, and I kind of like the chip tunes. My ST library is huge, and I probably go back to it more than any other system.

Return to “Classic Gaming”