Chinese Handhelds

Reserved for classic gaming discussions.
txsizzler

Chinese Handhelds

Postby txsizzler » September 27th, 2022, 8:04 am

So, what is everyone's take on these handhelds from companies like Anbernic, Retroid, Miyoo, etc?

I have a few of these, including the Bittboy (New Bittboy V2), Anbernic RG351V, Retroid Pocket 2+ and 3, and a few on the way from good ol' AliExpress (RG353V, Miyoo Mini V2, PowKiddy RGB20). For me, they are quite nice for the most part, and the improvements that have been made in the firmwares (especially custom firmwares), have made these great for emulation, from 8/16 bit systems, all the way to PS1/PSP/N64/some Saturn, GameCube, and even a few PS2 titles! The screens, buttons, speakers, cosmetics, and build quality have come a long ways on these units.

envytomdead

Re: Chinese Handhelds

Postby envytomdead » September 30th, 2022, 10:36 pm

I have been thinking about getting one of these but have not as yet. Do you know if any of them can use a better Atari 7800 emulator than Prosystem? I'd probably buy one of it could run a7800.

txsizzler

Postby txsizzler » October 1st, 2022, 9:15 am

envytomdead wrote:I have been thinking about getting one of these but have not as yet. Do you know if any of them can use a better Atari 7800 emulator than Prosystem? I'd probably buy one of it could run a7800.

All the newer models, starting from the Anbernic RG350 series and up, Retroid Pockets, Miyoo, and the later Powkiddy systems can play the 7800 games nearly flawlessly. The only difference, is you will be using a D-Pad or an Switch-like stick for your controller.

envytomdead

Postby envytomdead » October 11th, 2022, 8:11 pm

txsizzler wrote:
envytomdead wrote:I have been thinking about getting one of these but have not as yet. Do you know if any of them can use a better Atari 7800 emulator than Prosystem? I'd probably buy one of it could run a7800.

All the newer models, starting from the Anbernic RG350 series and up, Retroid Pockets, Miyoo, and the later Powkiddy systems can play the 7800 games nearly flawlessly. The only difference, is you will be using a D-Pad or an Switch-like stick for your controller.

I think they all use the prosystem emulator like RetroArch which has problems with some of the newer homebrews.

GeoX

Postby GeoX » October 13th, 2022, 4:04 am

I don’t know the make and model of mine but I am very pleased with it considering it’s cost ($45). It can play up to ps1 pretty well though some ps1 games, especially the racers, trip it up. With the mini sd card it’s amazing all the games you can play
The best part of course is the ability to save state any where in the game regardless if you weren’t able to in the original game.
I’m thinking about upgrading to one that can play atari 7800 games.

Return to “Classic Gaming”