Super Mario 64 vs. Banjo Kazooie

Reserved for classic gaming discussions.
jon

Super Mario 64 vs. Banjo Kazooie

Postby jon » November 28th, 2022, 11:05 pm

I've been playing Super Mario 64 so much the last year or so and I know there was a discussion about the levels. What I've found, is that even the bad levels you can get through pretty quickly if you know how to speed things up. Universally, Dire Dire Docks is probably viewed as one of the worst levels. But even though it sucks, I just got through it in like 10 minutes. I know the maker of the game wanted their to be something like 25 levels. But I think this is a rare case of having to meet deadlines helping the game. I will admit that I still think the Carpet Ride level is my least favorite. But at least they saved the worst for last.

I've all but given up on Banjo Kazooie. I used to love it, but that mole having to teach you all the moves in just about every level destroys the fun factor. Also, I don't think its wacky sense of humor has aged well. I'll have to give it another try. It's unfortunate because I believe Rusty Bucket Bay is the best water platforming level of all time and the Christmas level is the best Christmas themed level of all time.

LoganRuckman

Re: Super Mario 64 vs. Banjo Kazooie

Postby LoganRuckman » December 23rd, 2022, 7:18 am

I adore Banjo-Kazooie! It has so much charm, so much character, so much personality! I love the silliness, and the cartoony nature. The moveset is huge and varied. The worlds are massive and mostly well designed. I love how it has more of a puzzle bent to it than Super Mario 64, and the increased emphasis on collecting. It's almost like an action-adventure platformer. While clearly taking influence from Super Mario 64, it's very much its own game with its own personality, and a legendary and influential platformer in its own right.

But it's still no Mario 64. Mario 64 is still unsurpassed in terms of fluid and satisfying movement, replayability, and just playing around in the levels.

Both are great games, but Mario wins this one.

jon

Postby jon » December 23rd, 2022, 2:47 pm

LoganRuckman wrote:I adore Banjo-Kazooie! It has so much charm, so much character, so much personality! I love the silliness, and the cartoony nature. The moveset is huge and varied. The worlds are massive and mostly well designed. I love how it has more of a puzzle bent to it than Super Mario 64, and the increased emphasis on collecting. It's almost like an action-adventure platformer. While clearly taking influence from Super Mario 64, it's very much its own game with its own personality, and a legendary and influential platformer in its own right.

But it's still no Mario 64. Mario 64 is still unsurpassed in terms of fluid and satisfying movement, replayability, and just playing around in the levels.

Both are great games, but Mario wins this one.

I agree. If there was ever a case for a 3d arcade platformer it would be Super Mario 64. I actually think this might be one of the few times (if not the only time) in video game history where not being able to meet deadlines was a great thing. I've read that the maker said that he wanted it to be bigger with 40 levels. But it's perfect the way it is. I recently tried to see how fast I could get the 120 stars and beat the game, and I was on fire the 1st try, I did it in like 4 and a half hours. That's pretty perfect for a 3d platformer. I did get lucky in a lot of spots though. One major thing was beating the Carpet Ride with no problems at all, especially the 100 coins, and the other place I did quick was on that same floor where there are all the clouds and you have to go up and down to get the 8 red coins. Now maybe the deadline meant no Luigi or no rideable Yoshi. But it's fun to fly around outside the castle getting jumped out of the cannon. As for Banjo, I think I just needed a long break for it and will get back into it.

jon

Postby jon » January 6th, 2023, 6:07 pm

I’m no expert on 3d platformers but if you know what you’re doing it’s easy to get through all the 120 stars in less than 4 hours like I just did. That’s a great pace. The only other one I’ve played from the 5th gen is Banjo and I remember it taking forever and when I looked it up it says something like 40 hours it takes. So I’d say they compliment each other very well the 2 games.

I have to think that less than 4 hours is the fastest to beat a 3d platformer that I can think of. It seems like especially the Mario ones starting with Sunshine it takes forever.

But it does lag for a while starting with Dire Dire Docks which is such a slog. From there it’s best to go to Jolly Roger Bay and it’s almost an hour of boredom. Of course chasing that darn rabbit is so annoying too. I wish there was a way to kill it.

Return to “Classic Gaming”