Atari 2600 Flashback Gold 50th Anniversary

Reserved for classic gaming discussions.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Atari 2600 Flashback Gold 50th Anniversary

Postby VideoGameCritic » March 22nd, 2023, 4:32 pm

Well it looks like they finally got it right this time!
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0BGY ... UTF8&psc=1

130 games including Activision titles!
joysticks and paddles included
can plug in a card to upload your own ROMs!
HDMI output

I'm tempted to buy this, but I have already bought these games (and Flashback systems) so many times!

What do you think?

Stalvern

Re: Atari 2600 Flashback Gold 50th Anniversary

Postby Stalvern » March 22nd, 2023, 7:58 pm

If they "finally got it right", you might as well reward them. At the very least, you'll have the best Flashback.

bigfriendly

Postby bigfriendly » March 26th, 2023, 1:24 pm

I'd imagine that the controllers are low grade when compared to the actual real ones aren't they? The original joystick controllers seemed to hold up pretty well back in the 80s. I've had sticks literally break off from the base in recent years with all of these knock offs.

scotland

Postby scotland » March 26th, 2023, 2:46 pm

Neat! But same issue with having bought Atari hardware and software more times then I have teeth.

I like this one - but I may be Atari tapped out

Wehrwolf

Postby Wehrwolf » March 26th, 2023, 4:06 pm

The paddles don’t feel right, doesn’t sound like they’re analog. Regular joysticks are okay.

It was very easy to add other games to it; there’s a youtube video for how to do it that made it easy (when I wouldn’t have figured it out myself, needing things like an OTG cable when I never had heard of one…). It’s nice that the AtariAge forum members made a collection of 900 games that include cover art for them, makes jogging my memory and nostalgia easier. Only tough sometimes to tell what’s homebrew and what’s a cheaply made game from a minor publisher I haven’t seen.

The functional switches on the Atari system are nice, and the joystick 1 has 4 other buttons on it for menu and start and such so switching games is quick.

The instructions are decent for saying what the different game options are, a usual weakness on Atari 2600 collections.

At first I had no audio and tried reseting the cables and unplugging it, using different hdmi, and so on to no avail. Tried it on another tv, worked fine. Tried it back on the first tv it had problems on and it now works fine. (Shrug)

Overall happy with it, despite being disappointed in the paddle controllers.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » March 27th, 2023, 8:54 pm

Wehrwolf - thanks for posting your findings. Very disappointing to hear about the paddles. I don't think you're the first to complain about those. Funny how hard it is to recreate 1977 technology in 2023!!

Atariboy

Postby Atariboy » March 28th, 2023, 12:54 am

Wehrwolf wrote:At first I had no audio and tried reseting the cables and unplugging it, using different hdmi, and so on to no avail. Tried it on another tv, worked fine. Tried it back on the first tv it had problems on and it now works fine. (Shrug)

AtGames doesn't seem to fully respect HDMI standards.

While a power cycle always has fixed it for me, it's not uncommon to have my Atari Flashback 9 or Legends Flashback start up with no audio.

No other HDMI equipped devices in my collection have ever given me issues.

Return to “Classic Gaming”