Arcade games without home ports

Reserved for classic gaming discussions.
Wehrwolf

Re: Arcade games without home ports

Postby Wehrwolf » March 24th, 2023, 2:46 pm

If compilations don’t count, then something like Sinistar wouldn’t count, and that seems wrong with how many places it’s been.

bigfriendly

Postby bigfriendly » March 24th, 2023, 4:23 pm

I don't remember ever playing Star Castle at home. I think the Vectrex had a port but I never had that system.

Robotrek

Postby Robotrek » March 24th, 2023, 5:17 pm

I'm 90% sure Bagman got a release, but it was called "Gilligan's Gold".

mbd36

Postby mbd36 » March 25th, 2023, 7:22 pm

lynchie137 wrote:WWF Superstars and WWF Wrestlefest. Now granted, if these two games were ported to any of the home consoles that were going at the time, some major concessions would have to been made in order for them to be playable. But even so, they still would have been better than most of the WWF wrestling games that were available. And probably even better than some of the non WWF themed games as well. Both are pure classics, and I would LOVE to see the fine folks at Evercade release them on a wrestling themed compilation cart. Assuming they can get the rights to do so, that is...

Also, I wouldn't have minded seeing Mat Mania ported to a console like the NES or Sega Master System. Again, some concessions would have to been made. But seeing as how that's a much simpler game, I think that both consoles could come really close to making it as close to the arcade as possible.

Mat Mania got what looks to be a horrible port on the 7800. Too bad it wasn't on the NES. It could've looked and sounded much better.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d09YrNfVQuc

lynchie137

Postby lynchie137 » March 29th, 2023, 7:43 pm

mbd36 wrote:
lynchie137 wrote:WWF Superstars and WWF Wrestlefest. Now granted, if these two games were ported to any of the home consoles that were going at the time, some major concessions would have to been made in order for them to be playable. But even so, they still would have been better than most of the WWF wrestling games that were available. And probably even better than some of the non WWF themed games as well. Both are pure classics, and I would LOVE to see the fine folks at Evercade release them on a wrestling themed compilation cart. Assuming they can get the rights to do so, that is...

Also, I wouldn't have minded seeing Mat Mania ported to a console like the NES or Sega Master System. Again, some concessions would have to been made. But seeing as how that's a much simpler game, I think that both consoles could come really close to making it as close to the arcade as possible.

Mat Mania got what looks to be a horrible port on the 7800. Too bad it wasn't on the NES. It could've looked and sounded much better.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d09YrNfVQuc

Oh, man. You weren't kidding. That looks absolutely horrendous. And that music that loops throughout will surely drive one insane

Zack Burner

Postby Zack Burner » March 30th, 2023, 11:32 am

There's another arcade game without a port I forgot to mention: Aliens (Konami) the side-scrolling shooter where you can play as Ripley or Hicks against a variety of Aliens, you even get to use a powerloader and there are vehicle shooting levels as well!

DocHix

Postby DocHix » March 30th, 2023, 5:45 pm

bigfriendly wrote:I don't remember ever playing Star Castle at home. I think the Vectrex had a port but I never had that system.

bigfriendly...here's a link to a really nice homebrew for the 2600 called "Star Castle Arcade" just in case you haven't heard about it. Other than the Vectrex port you mentioned, I think it's the only way to the play the game on a home console.
https://atariage.com/store/index.php?l= ... ail&p=1046

ASalvaro

Postby ASalvaro » March 30th, 2023, 6:42 pm

the holy grail of a great arcade game without a home port

Star Rider!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=soQbVEb3-TQ

Stalvern

Postby Stalvern » March 30th, 2023, 9:38 pm

Thanks for posting that one. One of the coolest games ever that nobody talks about.

Matchstick

Postby Matchstick » March 31st, 2023, 3:55 am

ASalvaro wrote:Star Rider!

Oh, great - now I have Foreigner stuck in my head! Thaaaaaaaanks... :lol:

Return to “Classic Gaming”