High Maintenance Console

Reserved for classic gaming discussions.
lynchie137

Re: High Maintenance Console

Postby lynchie137 » May 27th, 2023, 12:54 am

noah98 wrote:
lynchie137 wrote:Surprised no one has mentioned the good old front loading NES. I love the console, I love the games. But man oh MAN, is it a real nuisance getting it to work, and to me it is the literal dictionary definition of high maintenance...

Just use this, and you'll never have problems with the Nes pin connector again:

https://www.arcadeworks.net/products/bl ... 3581116569

Thanks for the link. I'll definitely have to look into this.

noah98

Postby noah98 » May 27th, 2023, 8:55 am

lynchie137 wrote:
noah98 wrote:
lynchie137 wrote:Surprised no one has mentioned the good old front loading NES. I love the console, I love the games. But man oh MAN, is it a real nuisance getting it to work, and to me it is the literal dictionary definition of high maintenance...

Just use this, and you'll never have problems with the Nes pin connector again:

https://www.arcadeworks.net/products/bl ... 3581116569

Thanks for the link. I'll definitely have to look into this.

I've had mine for years with no issues. It is a tight grip, but other than that, it's great. Instead of having to push the cart down, which causes the wear on the pins, you just slide it in.

CaptainCruch

Postby CaptainCruch » May 27th, 2023, 10:17 am

Probably the Xbox 360. Red Ring of Death (2x). Also not a red ring, but the console just stopped working. The disc tray gets stuck when I don't leave a cd in it. Console gets pretty loud and hot (so those the battery output). And the chargeable batteries for the the joypad died so many ties, I now use regular AA-batteries again. Despite all these technical problems, this is still one of my favorite consoles of all time by the time. And the best joypad on any console I ever had.

velcrozombie

Postby velcrozombie » May 27th, 2023, 10:47 am

I've never had a PS2 that didn't need its laser adjusted at one point or another.

I have fixed the disc drive on my 360 a few times. The rubber belt that allows the drive to open and close. Thankfully a cheap and relatively simple job. No RRODs despite owning it since 2010.

I had the front-loading NES as my first console and there was always a lot of tears shed trying to get that thing to play a game. Me and my cousins had a bunch of little tricks that worked with varying levels of effectiveness - I remember one of them was to insert the game just far enough that it cleared the threshold and then push it down so that it was scraping the inside of the opening and it was basically stuck in place (this actually seemed to help the chances of the cartridge being read).

My original PS3 Slim got to the point that it would only read a disc if I tilted the console upwards at an angle. I was planning on replacing the Blu-ray drive but for the same cost I got a used PS3 and 25 games on Facebook. I kept the old system and installed homebrew on it.

matmico399

Postby matmico399 » May 27th, 2023, 10:38 pm

One word. Colecovion.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » May 28th, 2023, 10:39 am

matmico399 wrote:One word. Colecovion.

Amen to this. It's the Millenium Falcon of consoles. No picture? Bang on it a few times...

This is why I invested in a Collectorvision Phoenix console. That thing is worth its weight in gold!

ThePixelatedGenocide

Postby ThePixelatedGenocide » May 29th, 2023, 8:12 am

I've honestly lost count of how many dead/broken PSPs I've seen. They're built like glass grenades.

But most of the time, they seem to eventually just die peacefully in their sleep, then never power on again.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » May 29th, 2023, 10:54 am

ThePixelatedGenocide wrote:I've honestly lost count of how many dead/broken PSPs I've seen. They're built like glass grenades.

But most of the time, they seem to eventually just die peacefully in their sleep, then never power on again.

Sony was ahead of their time, producing the first single-use portable gaming console!

Whoops, shouldn't give them any ideas...

BlasteroidAli

Postby BlasteroidAli » May 31st, 2023, 1:23 pm

I nominate by GameStick Android console. Okay, it is dead so they are no longer producing games for it. You had to use their game pad which was horrible. I tried it last year. It always was odd but now it is shovelware. The battery on the joypad went so it has to be plugged in to work. Next up, only half the games worked. It was a nice idea that was not technically feasible when it came out. Now everything is the size of it. Years ahead of its time. If you see one out in the wilds do not buy it. The game store has left the internet and it is now only second hand ones with game on it that work.

Though even when it came out it was under powered. As such it could not get the best new Android games to work on it. Plus the controller was awful. It was so bad it made the Intellivision disc seem a great idea for playing games.

Oh yes.. and Colecovision.

Plus Colecovision Adam. A computer that was destined to die from the very start. I watched a you tube video where it said that the way the tape drive was set up, sometimes the adam deleted everything on the tape drive. Rendering it useless.

Stalvern

Postby Stalvern » June 1st, 2023, 10:28 am

My favorite thing about the Adam is that the power supply was a friggin' printer. One of the most deranged ideas ever.

Return to “Classic Gaming”