High Maintenance Console

Reserved for classic gaming discussions.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Re: High Maintenance Console

Postby VideoGameCritic » June 1st, 2023, 7:10 pm

Stalvern wrote:My favorite thing about the Adam is that the power supply was a friggin' printer. One of the most deranged ideas ever.

Seriously?!? I remember seeing pictures of that system, and the printer was GIGANTIC. It was like a laser printer. This helps explain why!!

latedep31

Postby latedep31 » June 1st, 2023, 9:46 pm

First off, hi!

Second, about the ColecoVision: does the malfunctioning ones have like graphic glitches during gameplay? Mine had this problem, too, and I fixed by opening the console up and spraying contact cleaner into the power switch, then flipping the switch back and forth until I thought it was cleaned good. Put it back together and plugged it in, and it works perfectly now!

noah98

Postby noah98 » June 2nd, 2023, 2:11 pm

latedep31 wrote:First off, hi!

Second, about the ColecoVision: does the malfunctioning ones have like graphic glitches during gameplay? Mine had this problem, too, and I fixed by opening the console up and spraying contact cleaner into the power switch, then flipping the switch back and forth until I thought it was cleaned good. Put it back together and plugged it in, and it works perfectly now!

The switch is a problem, for sure, but also the power supply. Unfortunately, the problem that killed mine was this:

The original video RAM used in the Colecovision requires +5v, +12v, and -5v to operate correctly. If everything isn't "just right", graphics will be corrupted or gameplay will be incorrect. Worn and dirty power switches only serve to exacerbate the problem.

I tried to solder the new ram, but that just destroyed the console.

latedep31

Postby latedep31 » June 2nd, 2023, 3:20 pm

I didn't know that.

Guess I got really lucky with mine, then! :mrgreen:

BlasteroidAli

Postby BlasteroidAli » June 2nd, 2023, 4:21 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote:
Stalvern wrote:My favorite thing about the Adam is that the power supply was a friggin' printer. One of the most deranged ideas ever.

Seriously?!? I remember seeing pictures of that system, and the printer was GIGANTIC. It was like a laser printer. This helps explain why!!

It was a daisy wheel printer I think. By All accounts the thing was really loud as well. My friend bought one from Silica shop in Slough South East England. He sent it back and said it did not work as it was so bad. This is a guy who bought a cd 32. If he thought it was bad it must have been terrible.

matmico399

Postby matmico399 » June 5th, 2023, 8:01 pm

I never had any problems except for the Sega CD and the PS2. But I have no problem with the latter, I played that so much back in the day it was bound to wear out. Otherwise no issues.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » June 5th, 2023, 8:26 pm

BlasteroidAli wrote:
VideoGameCritic wrote:It was a daisy wheel printer I think. By All accounts the thing was really loud as well. My friend bought one from Silica shop in Slough South East England. He sent it back and said it did not work as it was so bad. This is a guy who bought a cd 32. If he thought it was bad it must have been terrible.

Wait, this same guy invested his hard-earned money in a Colecovision ADAM and a CD-32? This guy is legendary! Did he get a Stadia too? LOL

Return to “Classic Gaming”