Sega CD-Panic

Reserved for classic gaming discussions.
matmico399

Sega CD-Panic

Postby matmico399 » June 9th, 2023, 4:41 pm

I remember playing this back in the day and it was absolutely horrible. Just a few sentences from some dude who reviewed it.

"Panic! is terrific for social gatherings, an evening here and there. This game, like so many others, deserves a larger audience.

SCORE: 9 out of 10"

Considering it ranks high on the VGC's top 50 worst games of all time I just burst out laughing. This guy must have been compensated very well for writing that. :lol:

JohanOberg

Re: Sega CD-Panic

Postby JohanOberg » June 14th, 2023, 3:42 am

Panic, called Switch in Japan, was apparently popular enough to get a PS2 port in 2002.

Stalvern

Postby Stalvern » June 14th, 2023, 10:00 am

It might have been a cute enough WarioWare-style goof if the jokes didn't repeat so much and the overall structure wasn't a big horrible maze that you have to laboriously wander through. There's a contingent of niche gamers who want it to be some buried gem that those Americans just don't get, but nah. It's interesting for sure, but it's not good.

LoganRuckman

Postby LoganRuckman » June 14th, 2023, 10:36 am

Stalvern wrote:It might have been a cute enough WarioWare-style goof if the jokes didn't repeat so much and the overall structure wasn't a big horrible maze that you have to laboriously wander through. There's a contingent of niche gamers who want it to be some buried gem that those Americans just don't get, but nah. It's interesting for sure, but it's not good.

I was gonna say, I thought this game had a cult following. I know there was a lot of negative backlash towards this game, but I've also seen plenty of people defending it and calling it underrated.

I can't hate, I love the 1993 Super Mario Bros. Movie, and I also overall enjoy Vince Russo as a wrestling booker and feel like he's a bit underrated and underappreciated.

goldenband

Postby goldenband » June 15th, 2023, 12:56 am

My wife and I had fun with Panic! Sure, it gets tedious to finish it off, but it really wasn't too much of a hassle. I think it just depends on whether you're the kind of person who enjoys mapping things out (we are), and whether you find its humor amusing (we did). And neither of us are hardcore Japanophiles by a long shot, so that's not what's at work here.

ThePixelatedGenocide

Postby ThePixelatedGenocide » June 16th, 2023, 2:36 pm

It's like LSD on PS1; it's more of an interactive art gallery than an actual game.

That said, anyone else remember the days when you had no idea what you'd get from hitting a question block in the Mushroom kingdom? It felt like it might be anything?

Or you discovered a hidden warp for the first time?

Panic reminded me of exploring those small mysteries, even if it stripped out the everything else.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » June 16th, 2023, 4:35 pm

I feel like I need to give this one another look, maybe with friends.

Apparently it has a "meta" quality that may have gone over my head the first time...

ThePixelatedGenocide

Postby ThePixelatedGenocide » June 17th, 2023, 3:18 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote:I feel like I need to give this one another look, maybe with friends.

Apparently it has a "meta" quality that may have gone over my head the first time...

Friends really do help. But I wonder if the internet's made us take this kind of random troll humor for granted? Back when it released, this was a unique experience for console gamers.

I wonder what kids as young as the main character would make of the game's maturity level?

Return to “Classic Gaming”