PS1 vs Saturn... FIGHT!

Reserved for classic gaming discussions.
BanjoPickles

Re: PS1 vs Saturn... FIGHT!

Postby BanjoPickles » February 27th, 2024, 5:20 am

Talk about timing! One of my favorite YouTubers—Sega Lord X—just released the third part of his Saturn Vs. Arcade series, where he explores a number of different Saturn ports. Good stuff!

https://youtu.be/NO9M_wieb2c?si=zjud8hebT4bOvHpZ

CharlieR

Postby CharlieR » February 27th, 2024, 1:05 pm

JWK wrote:
You can certainly throw in the N64 if you want. Maybe the 3D0 or Jaguar, but I don’t consider those much competition.

An honest question I have is this, do you find the Saturn to be more comparable to the PS1? Do you find the N64 and PS1 to be comparable at all?

I've never owned a Saturn, so I'm genuinely curious. The Ps1 and N64 were the more popular systems of that time, but I'm curious to see if you found those systems similar at all.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » February 27th, 2024, 3:23 pm

I think all three are comparable in terms of computing power and types of games they support. However, they each have their own distinctive style in terms of graphics. I could like at just about any game and tell you which of the three systems it's on.

jon

Postby jon » February 29th, 2024, 5:38 pm

The thing that people don’t think about is how much better things are now. I mean, if you get a PS5 or whatever you have access not only to its library, but a million other games from the past. Back in 1997 when the reality of the pecking order was setting in, if you didn’t like the PS1 or N64 you had nothing to play. There wasn’t access through these services to find all these other games. And to top that off it was right when I was into video games more than ever. Now that I thought about it I’d choose the Saturn over the PS1. It’s just that the stigma was humongous. They couldn’t give away Saturn’s for free by 1997 much less for $199 with 3 arcade ports.

Quick_Man

Postby Quick_Man » February 29th, 2024, 6:04 pm

Yeah, half the hate/dislike towards the Saturn is purely reputational based. A lot of major people in the retro gaming scene, particularly American YouTubers, love to just go "it's bad, it sucks, it's crap" and then move on. It's a fantastic system if you're willing to give it a chance, it's a shame some people never do though.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » February 29th, 2024, 7:36 pm

Another thing to keep in mind is that the Dreamcast arrived in 1999. That would mean that by 1998 Sega would have had to have shifted almost all of its resources from the Saturn to Dreamcast development. 1998 was when the Playstation was just hitting its stride, just three years after the systems were introduced.

In retrospect it's remarkable what a quickly-shifting landscape the video game industry was back them. Now the industry seems to move like snail in comparison.

mbd36

Postby mbd36 » February 29th, 2024, 9:50 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote:Another thing to keep in mind is that the Dreamcast arrived in 1999. That would mean that by 1998 Sega would have had to have shifted almost all of its resources from the Saturn to Dreamcast development. 1998 was when the Playstation was just hitting its stride, just three years after the systems were introduced.

In retrospect it's remarkable what a quickly-shifting landscape the video game industry was back them. Now the industry seems to move like snail in comparison.

The Dreamcast debuted in Japan only two years after Tomb Raider came out for PC and the original Playstation. That's crazy to think about.

jon

Postby jon » February 29th, 2024, 10:10 pm

The thing with the Saturn is that it was marketed as a 3d system and the games that ended up giving the system perceived legitimacy are 2d games and the Model 2 ports. So it's basically like plan A didn't work and lets see what sticks. It obviously wasn't their plan. And therefore I do believe 3d minded gamers around 1996-1997 had a reason to think it was ridiculous compared to the PS1. I mean, it didn't deliver 3d games which was the whole reason to even release the system. Just think about that deal in 1997. All they had in their attempt to unload inventory (knowing the system was going to soon be discontinued) was the Model 2 ports, and this is 3 years after it's Japan launch.

DrLitch

Postby DrLitch » March 21st, 2024, 12:00 pm

Choosing between PS1, Saturn, and N64 is like choosing which elixir to drink for influenza. Each will induce temporary euphoria if you let it. If I had to list my personal top tens for all three, and then select a winner, it might be the N64, despite both Castlevania SOTN and FF VII being among the greatest games ever made. The Saturn... Sega Rally, and nostalgia for VF2 soundtrack, Sarah's stage, Pai's stage, perhaps enough for me to love the console. PS1, God Tier for JRPG's. Old hat today, but still charming and relevant. I pick PS1, gaming library being too strong to ignore. Graphics? Worst generation for that, by a mile.

jon

Postby jon » March 23rd, 2024, 8:38 pm

I thought that those amazing 3d arcade games those couple years before 1995 was going to be how the graphics on the 5th gen consoles would look like once released in 1995 or so.

I didn’t know that the Model 2 hardware was extremely expensive and wouldn’t be able to have those graphics on a console. So that made 1993-1994 fascinating, but it all ended up disappointing. I point to 1997 when I realized it was a huge letdown. I thought the Model 2 graphics were going to be a baseline for the kind of 3d the 5th gen would offer.

I loved the backgrounds to the Model 2 games. All the buildings looked so cool, like office buildings. It seemed like a cool place to be inside. And the backgrounds to Virtua Fighter 2 are my favorite in any game ever. I had no idea they’d have to be scaled down to 2d.

Return to “Classic Gaming”