Consoles hurt the worst by bad marketing or business decisions.

Reserved for classic gaming discussions.
BanjoPickles

Re: Consoles hurt the worst by bad marketing or business decisions.

Postby BanjoPickles » March 2nd, 2024, 1:26 pm

The Atari 5200! Very few console exclusives, wayyyyy too big, never really had an identity of its own, one of the most poorly-designed controllers ever made, and Atari never seemed to put forth an effort to help it succeed. They prioritized the 2600 from day one. It would be like if Nintendo treated the SNES like an afterthought, opting to release games like Mario World and Link to the Past on NES instead.

And don’t get me started on the Vita. Sony never really started supporting that thing!

ASalvaro

Postby ASalvaro » March 2nd, 2024, 4:56 pm

the Intellivision Amico and every Atari console after the 2600

MaverickMoPete

Postby MaverickMoPete » March 2nd, 2024, 5:37 pm

ASalvaro wrote:the Intellivision Amico and every Atari console after the 2600

Actually, if you think about it, it was every Atari Console including the 2600. It was terrible business decisions that led to the downfall of the 2600 as well.

strat

Postby strat » March 2nd, 2024, 6:08 pm

Nintendo made three major mistakes with N64 - using carts (for the sake of playability I'm glad they did but it was undeniably a huge trade-off), their half-baked policy of making every game exclusive to the console which fell by the wayside (it was quickly undermined by Mortal Kombat Trilogy, heaven forbid they should get Megaman X4 and Tomb Raider) and mostly targeting the no-disposable-income demographic apart from throwing a few bones to the older crowd.

(Edit out of boredom) The 64DD is a bonus problem. It may not have hampered the console directly since Nintendo didn't release it outside Japan (and even in Japan it was mostly available as a send-away kit with limited retail release) but it's likely someone held off on buying the N64 expecting many of its most anticipated games to be disk-exclusive. When "Zelda 64" was planned for DD I wasn't thrilled about the prospect of buying an add-on. And it couldn't have done the third party support any favors with nobody knowing if that thing would actually come out.

Supergrafx - Somebody must've fretted over Super Famicom to dash this out with what ended up being 6 games and a half-baked upgrade over the PC-Engine (it's basically nothing more than extra ram and an added background layer). Imagine the parallax scrolling we could've had in Dracula X if this thing got the proper support, lol.

(Edit: Just noticed these were mentioned already)
Console-ized computers featuring Commodore 64GS, Amstrad GX4000, Atari XEGS and Amiga CD32. These were just the guts of existing computers thrown in a box and passed off as a new game system, speaks for itself. Not to mention this nugget
Wait, sorry, I don't really play on a C64GS since it doesn't have a keyboard
Last edited by strat on March 3rd, 2024, 2:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

C64_Critic

Postby C64_Critic » March 2nd, 2024, 6:56 pm

CaptainCruch wrote:In random order, these come to mind:
3 - Commodore 64GS

Can't disagree with this one, I was (obviously) a big Commodore fan in the late 80's, totally into their ecosystem, yet somehow I wasn't aware that they ever released this thing until a few years ago. If it went over the head of a big C64 fan like myself, it definitely sailed over the head of the public at large.

ASalvaro

Postby ASalvaro » March 2nd, 2024, 7:23 pm

C64_Critic wrote:
3 - Commodore 64GS

Can't disagree with this one, I was (obviously) a big Commodore fan in the late 80's, totally into their ecosystem, yet somehow I wasn't aware that they ever released this thing until a few years ago. If it went over the head of a big C64 fan like myself, it definitely sailed over the head of the public at large.

i bought stock in Commodore right before the Amiga CD32 was released..it was a longshot that didn't pay off :lol:

lynchie137

Postby lynchie137 » March 7th, 2024, 4:15 pm

Atari when they delayed the release of the 7800 by a whole two years, putting it out in 1986 instead of 1984. And by the time it did finally hit the store shelves, the NES and the Master System were already out, and there was no way it was ever gonna be a serious contender after that. Which makes me wonder had it came out in '84, would things be different? Perhaps. But I think it might have wound up failing anyways simply because the game library wasn't as good or as deep as the NES library. Yes, they had some really solid games for sure. But most of these were ports of arcade games that were out for several years by that point. And were also available on other consoles. Whereas Nintendo were putting out more groundbreaking and innovative titles. Most of which like Super Mario Brothers and Mega Man, were exclusive only to the NES. So when you take this and other factors into consideration, the 7800 was dead on arrival upon release. And that is a shame to this video game fan right here....

BlasteroidAli

Postby BlasteroidAli » March 8th, 2024, 12:21 pm

ASalvaro wrote:
C64_Critic wrote:
3 - Commodore 64GS

i bought stock in Commodore right before the Amiga CD32 was released..it was a longshot that didn't pay off :lol:

I hear the American govt told Commodore that it had to pay 38 million to them for back taxes and it sank the company. So it was the finances that ultimately did it in. Plus, an amiga console? I played it and was like, it is okay I suppose. Though I think if it had had a longer shelf life it might have been a contender.

Gleebergloben123

Postby Gleebergloben123 » March 11th, 2024, 12:12 pm

Don’t get me wrong, I love George Plimpton in a tight angora sweater more than anyone, but him advertising INTV games in the early 80’s was……..an interesting choice. He was about 55 at the time of the commercials, which is a bit long in the tooth in appealing to teenage gamers. But execs at INTV wanted to show off the “sophistication” of their graphics and their sports games. Since Plimpton was a rather known sports writer, INTV execs thought “Bingo! And nailed it!”

George Plimpton also wrote the fictitious “Sidd Finch” article for SI in 1985, pretty brilliant. A lot of people believed he was the savior of the Mets. Hard to believe Finch had a 168mph fast ball. Wonder if it was a four seamer or two?

https://www.si.com/mlb/2014/10/15/curio ... sidd-finch

Quick_Man

Postby Quick_Man » March 11th, 2024, 1:43 pm

BlasteroidAli wrote:
ASalvaro wrote:
C64_Critic wrote:Can't disagree with this one, I was (obviously) a big Commodore fan in the late 80's, totally into their ecosystem, yet somehow I wasn't aware that they ever released this thing until a few years ago. If it went over the head of a big C64 fan like myself, it definitely sailed over the head of the public at large.

I hear the American govt told Commodore that it had to pay 38 million to them for back taxes and it sank the company. So it was the finances that ultimately did it in. Plus, an amiga console? I played it and was like, it is okay I suppose. Though I think if it had had a longer shelf life it might have been a contender.

Even people like me who have a lot of love for the actual Commodore Amiga computers and their games can't really justify the CD32 very much. Commodore had a knack for releasing products nobody was asking for and the CD32 was just one of them. Commodore going under in 1994 after floundering so hard in just a couple years hurt, but was inevitable. I recommend the Kim Justice video "The Rise and Fall of the Commodore Amiga".

Return to “Classic Gaming”