Anybody remember Oddworld: Abe's Oddysee (PS1)?

Reserved for classic gaming discussions.
Van Halbgott

Anybody remember Oddworld: Abe's Oddysee (PS1)?

Postby Van Halbgott » May 15th, 2024, 10:18 am

I also posted this on the AtariAge forums because I don’t think they’ve discussed the Sony PlayStation (the first one) yet considering they discuss all the other consoles like us.

What a hardcore gem that game was! I haven’t beat it yet but I worked on getting all the Mudokons while I still played it and they’re hidden everywhere. If you murder them all you get commended by the Glukkons, and I think they were going to make a ‘cinematic universe’ out of the games just by look at the back of the manual before Marvel did that and ruined Hollywood in my opinion, but that’s another topic altogether and this one is supposed to be about Oddworld and the original Sony PlayStation.

What do you Mudokons think about your savior Abe?

Stalvern

Re: Anybody remember Oddworld: Abe’s Oddysee (PS1)?

Postby Stalvern » May 15th, 2024, 12:26 pm

One of the best games ever made. Probably in my top ten.

Quick_Man

Postby Quick_Man » May 15th, 2024, 2:07 pm

I considered it an absolute classic and an evolution of games like Another World, Flashback, etc. But man, am I BAD at these specific "cinematic" platformers.

Voor

Postby Voor » May 15th, 2024, 3:12 pm

I love 2D puzzle platformers, so of course, this is one of my favorites. I need to pick up the remake.

I’m very curious about soulstorm, but I heard it’s not as good.

Interestingly, I both hate and suck at 3D puzzle games. Like they are impossible for me.
Last edited by Voor on May 17th, 2024, 7:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

strat

Postby strat » May 15th, 2024, 6:12 pm

I may have rescued all the Mudokens in Oddysee, definitely not Exodus

Munch's Odyssey didn't have the same charm to me. Stranger's Wrath is a solid game.

Retro STrife

Re: Anybody remember Oddworld: Abe's Oddysee (PS1)?

Postby Retro STrife » May 17th, 2024, 2:20 am

I just played this for the first time in the past month. Have always wanted to play it. I played about an hour so far. It’s hard to get into a game like this these days, but I want to stick with it.

I’m actually playing this on PS4- but it’s the PS1 version. I bought the remake too. Both were super cheap a few weeks ago (like under $5 each). I have the disc on PS1, but sadly, it’s much more convenient to play a digital copy on a new console..

Anchoa79

Postby Anchoa79 » May 17th, 2024, 9:12 am

One of the better games on the system... PS1 was also good in 2D games!!!!

Crummylion

Postby Crummylion » May 18th, 2024, 2:36 am

One of those games that I discovered from a family member's old playstation collection. Had no idea it was a blockbuster/maintained a cult following. I just thought the alien guy was goofy.
I also like how it did the genocide route idea before Undertale did. Kill all mudokens for a secret bonus.
It also feels like the series suffers from a type of ambition that's gonna leave the intended story arc unfinished. They only got 2/5 done and started over, with the remake of the spin off game now the actual sequel. Wondering if the creator will live long enough to finish his series without resorting to making it a film series. I know some other series could benefit from that... like Shenmue...

Quick_Man

Postby Quick_Man » May 20th, 2024, 11:59 am

After Shenmue III, a pretty middling game in the first place, finished with literally zero progression or development of the actual plot from the end of Shenmue II, I unfortunately had to accept that that particular story is just never going to be finished.

Return to “Classic Gaming”