Best 90's Computer Games

Reserved for classic gaming discussions.
CaptainCruch

Re: Best 90's Computer Games

Postby CaptainCruch » May 12th, 2024, 11:46 am

Scubagon wrote:
CaptainCruch wrote:I

Wolfenstein 3D (slow, but it was easy to get add-ons for it)
Marathon (I have the trilogy, only really played around with the first one, though... thankfully, those games are now freeware)
Vette (the Mac port is much better than the PC version, and it has a bug where you can get the car to over 1000 MPH)
Spectre
Tristan Pinball
8-Ball Deluxe Pinball
Loony Labyrinth Pinball
Crystal Caliburn Pinball
Pathways Into Darkness
Glider Pro
Doom (I only had the shareware version for a while, though I eventually found The Ultimate Doom for $5 new in a store)
Pax Imperia
Prince of Persia 1 & 2
Mortal Pongbat

I know there are others, but those are some off the top of my head that came to mind.

How could I forget Spectre!

jon

Postby jon » May 20th, 2024, 11:21 pm

Guys I can’t believe all the responses. I’ve got some point and click war and strategy games coming from around 1995-1996. I know I’ve mentioned my just atrocious memory. I’ve enjoyed adventure games like Kings Quest IV but I never got far Bc I literally can’t remember anything.

I didn’t mention this but a couple years ago I tried out this acclaimed Neo Geo Pocket Color RPG and it was so cool but I just couldn’t keep up with the text. Maybe I say bad things about RPG’s just like skateboarding Bc secretly I wish I was good at them. But these point and click war games I’m really excited about in a couple weeks. I really trust Sierra as far as the quality of their games.

Quick_Man

Postby Quick_Man » May 21st, 2024, 9:02 am

I also have to recommend One Must Fall 2097. It really stands out at a time where pretty much all fighting games on computers were either bad ports or... stuff like Rise of the Robots.

(Actually, to be fair, I hear the PC version of the original Mortal Kombat was a good conversion.)

Verm3

Postby Verm3 » May 21st, 2024, 12:31 pm

On the subject of PC exclusive fighters, I had a lot of fun with FX fighter turbo. The original FX fighter was billed as PC's answer to Viruta fighter, Toshinden etc.

Pray for death also wasn't that bad.

Lucifixion

Postby Lucifixion » June 1st, 2024, 2:36 pm

Here's a couple classics nobody mentioned:

Heroes of Might & Magic III (HoMM3)
Deadlock

HoMM3 still gets a reasonable amount of attention with fan-made HD patches still being updated along with gameplay tweeks and balances. It's my favourite turn-based strategy game of all-time. JUST ONE MORE TURN at 10pm results in your next look at the clock showing 3am! Terribly addictive!

Deadlock seems to be much more obscure, as I spent many years trying to track it down via many avenues only to first discover Good Old Games (gog dot com). An admittedly dated game under even 20 year old standards, there's just something charming about this turn-based strategy. A friend back in middle school was obsessed with this game, which we managed to play all of once or twice due to his ridiculously strict parents limiting him to one hour per week of ANY screen time (That strictness resulted in years of drug addiction. Good job Drs. Mom and Stepdad). I guess there was a feeling of unfinished business on my behalf many years later, and I admit this is one I probably play more for nostalgia's sake than any real love of the game itself. Still, if you like the genre it is worth a whirl.

Lucifixion

Re: Best 90’s Computer Games

Postby Lucifixion » June 1st, 2024, 2:40 pm

Scubagon wrote:Hello all! Long time lurker, first time poster.

PC gaming in the 1990s was amazing. There were so many great titles:

Wolfenstein 3D / Spear of Destiny
Doom / Doom 2
Hexen
Descent
Elder Scrolls Arena (As buggy as it was, I enjoyed this one)
Sid Meier's Colonization
Metal Marines
Quake II (I didn't care for the first one, though the remastered version is good)
Need for Speed 1 - 4 (I still think the 4th one in the series, High Stakes, is the best NFS game ever made)
Test Drive 4 and 5
One Must Fall: 2097
Duke Nukem 3D
Shadow Warrior
Blood
Redneck Rampage

Loads more than these too.

The games themselves were amazing, but for the ones that could be played in multiplayer via LAN, or even null modem cable (with dialup modems as well) were far beyond anything that any console could do. I have so many fond memories of playing a lot of those games with friends years ago.

Have you ever played Metal Marines 2 player?!? I have never figured out how to make this work. I have downloaded the Windows 95 version and played a little single player, but this game BEGS to be played against another human!

Scubagon

Re: Best 90’s Computer Games

Postby Scubagon » June 1st, 2024, 7:12 pm

Lucifixion wrote:
Scubagon wrote:Hello all! Long time lurker, first time poster.

PC gaming in the 1990s was amazing. There were so many great titles:

Wolfenstein 3D / Spear of Destiny
Doom / Doom 2
Hexen
Descent
Elder Scrolls Arena (As buggy as it was, I enjoyed this one)
Sid Meier's Colonization
Metal Marines
Quake II (I didn't care for the first one, though the remastered version is good)
Need for Speed 1 - 4 (I still think the 4th one in the series, High Stakes, is the best NFS game ever made)
Test Drive 4 and 5
One Must Fall: 2097
Duke Nukem 3D
Shadow Warrior
Blood
Redneck Rampage

Loads more than these too.

The games themselves were amazing, but for the ones that could be played in multiplayer via LAN, or even null modem cable (with dialup modems as well) were far beyond anything that any console could do. I have so many fond memories of playing a lot of those games with friends years ago.

Have you ever played Metal Marines 2 player?!? I have never figured out how to make this work. I have downloaded the Windows 95 version and played a little single player, but this game BEGS to be played against another human!

Yes, I've played a two player game of Metal Marines one time. I played against my brother via dialup modem. He kicked my butt pretty quickly. Fun game, though.

I actually have a couple of IBM Thinkpads sitting on a shelf that I can connect together with a null modem cable to play a two player game. I did that once because I wanted to see what the ICBM (I think that's what the huge missile was, I don't remember offhand) did. I was disappointed, it just destroyed a 3x3 area with no huge explosion.

Gentlegamer

Postby Gentlegamer » June 1st, 2024, 7:15 pm

jon wrote:Guys I can’t believe all the responses. I’ve got some point and click war and strategy games coming from around 1995-1996.

Your first source should be gog.com

comchia

Postby comchia » June 2nd, 2024, 2:08 am

MS-DOS and classic Macintosh are my favorite classic gaming platforms. I love their diverse and fun libraries, especially the higher resolution and unique feel of vintage Mac.

For MS-DOS, I think my favourite games are Star Wars: X-Wing/TIE Fighter, Falcon 3.0, and Doom I/II. I'm also a die hard fan of many of MicroProse's old sims.

For classic Macintosh, I like Falcon MC and A-10 Attack best. I love their aesthetic and rewarding gameplay.

Gentlegamer

Postby Gentlegamer » June 2nd, 2024, 9:32 am

To be authentically 90s...

Solitaire
Minesweeper

-Windows 3.1

Return to “Classic Gaming”