Does Mario Sunshine Hold Up?

Reserved for classic gaming discussions.
ActRaiser

Re: Does Mario Sunshine Hold Up?

Postby ActRaiser » June 13th, 2024, 8:40 am

I couldn't get into it 20 years ago and most recently on the Switch I quickly lost interest again. I don't know if that's due to the control issues or playing a game where your job is to clean stuff up. I have to do that in real life. Maybe, that's why I've never been a super fan of it.

BanjoPickles

Postby BanjoPickles » June 17th, 2024, 11:11 pm

I will always love Sunshine, and it holds a special place for me:

It was the first Mario game released during my adult life, and it arrived two months after I had started working as a data conversion operator for the post office. I was working third shift, pulling in pretty decent money, and I have so many great memories getting off work at 7 in the morning, and coming home to get a few shines before going to bed.

The game felt like a little tropical vacation that I could take any time I wanted, and I think that’s one of many reasons why I loved it. The water effects were hypnotic, and I was hooked on uncovering every last Secret, every hidden blue coin, and every hard-to-reach shine. It was unlike any Mario game I had ever played before, and I loved it!

Actually, I think that’s what made the Gamecube so special. It was Nintendo at their most daring! They knew that people wanted another Ocarina of Time, but instead they gave us Wind Waker. The hatred for that game, at the time, was immense (remember how it was mockingly referred to as Celda?). Remember how people were literally crying when Twilight Princess was unveiled? Which Zelda has stood the rest of time? Nintendo knew exactly what they were doing!

Two players per kart in Double Dash; Mario with a spray pack; Luigi with a vacuum cleaner; cel shaded Zelda; a first-person Metroid. Nintendo took some big risks that generation, and even though they didn’t always translate into huge sales numbers, the games were memorable.

After I finished Sunshine again on Mario 3D All Stars, I immediately booted up Mario Galaxy and…..I was honestly underwhelmed. I was so used to FLUDD that not having it was kind of jarring.

ActRaiser

Postby ActRaiser » June 18th, 2024, 9:57 am

BanjoPickles wrote:It was the first Mario game released during my adult life, and it arrived two months after I had started working as a data conversion operator for the post office. I was working third shift, pulling in pretty decent money, and I have so many great memories getting off work at 7 in the morning, and coming home to get a few shines before going to bed.

The game felt like a little tropical vacation that I could take any time I wanted, and I think that’s one of many reasons why I loved it. The water effects were hypnotic, and I was hooked on uncovering every last Secret, every hidden blue coin, and every hard-to-reach shine. It was unlike any Mario game I had ever played before, and I loved it!

Great story! Yeah, there's something special about that time when you get out on your own and start making a little bit more than before and you still have lots of spare time. That generation of consoles is probably my favorite for that very reason.

BanjoPickles

Postby BanjoPickles » June 19th, 2024, 10:48 am

ActRaiser wrote:
BanjoPickles wrote:It was the first Mario game released during my adult life, and it arrived two months after I had started working as a data conversion operator for the post office. I was working third shift, pulling in pretty decent money, and I have so many great memories getting off work at 7 in the morning, and coming home to get a few shines before going to bed.

Great story! Yeah, there's something special about that time when you get out on your own and start making a little bit more than before and you still have lots of spare time. That generation of consoles is probably my favorite for that very reason.

Definitely! It was the last true couch co-op generation. I miss getting off work and coming home to play Soul Caliber II, Ultimate Wrestling, and Baldur’s Gate with my roommates over morning beers. It was an amazing moment in my life, really. I was two years out of high school and two years away from getting married and starting a family. It was basically the last time in my life when I could still be a kid, in some respects.

Return to “Classic Gaming”