Atari Max cartridges?

Reserved for classic gaming discussions.
Sut

Re: Atari Max cartridges?

Postby Sut » November 11th, 2017, 2:12 pm

Somewhat tentatively related is there a multi-cart for the Jaguar. I’m interested in the console due to poor state of emulation but don’t want to spend a fortune on games.

Atariboy

Postby Atariboy » November 11th, 2017, 10:51 pm

One is under development.

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/254003 ... dge/page-1

I haven't been following closely, but last I saw months ago, it's even going to support the playing of Jaguar CD images without an expensive and fragile Jaguar CD attached to the console (Thanks to the Jaguar CD basically being nothing more than a CD drive, which doesn't otherwise add any capabilities to the stock hardware).

Sut

Postby Sut » November 12th, 2017, 10:22 am

Thanks Atariboy I shall follow that thread with interest.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » January 7th, 2018, 2:06 pm

I want to review some of the more obscure Atari computer games, so looking into buying an Atarimax cart. I notice a lot of 1MB versions are available on Ebay. Any recommendations?
How do you load ROMs into these things? Do they have a cable connector or an SD card?
Please advise!

LuckyWDFN

Postby LuckyWDFN » January 7th, 2018, 2:50 pm

I went to buy the AtariMax Flash Milti Cart system but my Atari 800XL died so I have to replace it before I start digging into it myself. So my suggestions here is only based on my research and not anything I've tried yet. I've been in contact with Steve at AtariMax (he actually sent me chips to help me repair my 800XL) and got some pointers from him.

Basically, this video explains everything.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SDlIOKlC0Ms&t=114s

You download his program to a laptop or desktop, drag and drop all the games onto a 1mb or 8mb cart. 1 8mb cart goes A LONG WAY with being able to store these games. If you get sick of playing games, you can just format the cart and drag and drop more games on it and start all over again.

Once I finally get my 800XL figured out or purchase one from ebay, I'm going to order the Maxflash USB Cartridge Programmer Kit AND 5 pack of blank 8mb Flash Carts. It's going to total about $160, which is steep, but if that video is any indication, I can store my entrie 800XL library PLUS dozens of other games onto a few carts and be set for life.

https://www.atarimax.com/flashcart/documentation/

If I get to this before you do, I'll be sure to update to let you know how it goes, if you get to it before me, I'm looking forward to a future VGC review on this. I can't wait to get my XL fixed.

LuckyWDFN

Postby LuckyWDFN » February 23rd, 2018, 4:16 pm

I finally got my Atari 800XL fixed and purchased the Atarimax Maxflash USB Cartridge Programmer w/ Maxflash Studio Software. The software is incredibly easy to use and I was able to program 23 Atari 8-bit arcade XEX files to an 8mb cart - it only took a minute and I still had a lot more room on the cart for other games.

https://www.atarimax.com/

If you already have an Atari emulator and Atari ROMS you want to put on a cartridge, you're ready to go and the system is extremely easy to use.

I never messed around with emulators before (I didn't because I was using original carts & 30+ year old diskettes) so my situation was a little different. Once I downloaded the recommended emulator and set up all the folders I needed, I just downloaded the ROMS i wanted from this (recommended by Atarimax) site http://a8.fandal.cz/games.php

Using the Atarimax, it's extremely easy to just "drag and drop" the ROMS (XEX or ATR files) into a playlist and program a cart like you would a CD from iTunes.

The carts are re-programmable. You can erase a cart easily.

It comes with
Atari Maxflash Studio Software Installation Disk
Atari Maxflash USB Programmer
3rd-Party USB Cable

It does not come with
Blank 8mbit Flash Cartridges (but Atarimax does sell them, and 1mbit carts separately)
Atari Games or Atari ROMs (but Atarimax website suggests websites to obtain the ROMS from and even suggests Atari 800 emulators to test them on before you program the cart)

I bought the Atarimax Maxflash USB Cartridge Programmer w/ Maxflash Studio Software for $60 and spent another $100 on 5 blank 8mb carts. It's a pretty hefty price, but I was able to condense my entire collection of games onto 2 cartridges and eliminate the need for my disk drive (except to play the Ultimas and 7 Cities of Gold). Plus, I have access to literally thousands of games I've never played.

Return to “Classic Gaming”