Turbo Duo audio problem

Reserved for classic gaming discussions.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Turbo Duo audio problem

Postby VideoGameCritic » August 15th, 2014, 4:41 pm

I was trying to review Last Alert and Final Zone II on my Turbo Duo (CDs) and the sounds started getting fuzzy and cutting out.  

I did a little research and it seems like it's not too uncommon.  I found this link that includes instructions on how to replace two capacitors that are likely the source of the problem.

I'm not electrically inclined so I sent an email to my buddy Brent to see if it might be something he can do.  Hopefully it won't be a big deal because the Duo is one of my most valuable systems.  I bought it new about 15 years ago.

Anybody else have experience with this type of problem?

Sut1

Turbo Duo audio problem

Postby Sut1 » August 15th, 2014, 5:13 pm

http://youtu.be/zszqex-b48I

Yup the Game Sack guys recently had a similar issue.

kew9820001

Turbo Duo audio problem

Postby kew9820001 » August 15th, 2014, 8:07 pm

The culprit it definately in your capacitors. The Turbo Duo as well as the Turbo Express were notorious for having defective capacitors. I just recently replaced all the capacitors in my Turbo Express as a matter of fact. Now its as good as new. I'd recommend you replace ALL the capacitors on your Turbo Duo. It's not really that hard to do. Just make sure your polarity is correct and that you use capacitors of the same uf or microfarad and make sure your replacement capacitors are the same voltages or higher. For example, if you have a 33uf capacitor that was originally 6.3 volts, you can use a 33uf capacitor with 6.3 volts or higher. Hope this helps, critic. Good Luck!

rift1

Turbo Duo audio problem

Postby rift1 » August 17th, 2014, 7:25 pm

Yes, you should replace all the caps, as well as clean the laser.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Turbo Duo audio problem

Postby VideoGameCritic » September 9th, 2014, 11:30 pm

My friend Brent fixed this for me.

When he opened it up I remembered I had some work done by Old School Gamer on the system in 2009. Turns out he had replaced the capacitors, but some looked like they didn't have a good connection.  Brent re-flowed these and that seemed to do the trick.

Crisis averted.  More Turbo Duo reviews coming up!

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Turbo Duo audio problem

Postby VideoGameCritic » September 17th, 2014, 7:01 pm

I spoke too soon!  *sad face*

My Turbo Duo audio is cutting out again.

This time I ordered a complete set of replacement capacitors from Console5.

Hopefully this will do the trick.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Turbo Duo audio problem

Postby VideoGameCritic » November 4th, 2014, 8:18 pm

Finally got around to having my friend Brent look at this again, and he was going to replace all the capacitors before he noticed two were practically falling off.  All he had to do was touch them and they fell off.

So he just replaced those two and it seemed to fix the problem.  Replacing all the capacitors would take a while, so I think I'm only going to do it on an as-needed basis.

kew9820001

Turbo Duo audio problem

Postby kew9820001 » November 8th, 2014, 10:29 pm

Better to take the time to replace them all now instead of waiting for each one to fail one at a time. NEC used really crappy capacitors at the time, which means ALL of them are bound to fail sooner or later. In my opinion, Critic, replace them all now with high quality ones and enjoy your Turbo Duo for years to come. Trust me on this.

Return to “Classic Gaming”