Is the GameBoy Color Underrated?

Reserved for classic gaming discussions.
Blueguy1

Postby Blueguy1 » April 24th, 2013, 8:57 pm

It kind of just occurred to me that the Game Boy Color isn't talked about as much as the Game Boy or Game Boy Advance. It was around for like 2 years and fades when the GBA was released.

Of course, I have fond memories of it. It was the first system I owned, and Pokemon Yellow (technically a GB game but whatever) was the first game I ever played, and I loved it.

Three great games I played endlessly were Super Mario Bros Deluxe (My twin brother and I played multiplayer on it via links for hours), Pokemon Gold/Silver/Crystal (Possibly the best Pokemon generation ever), and Wario Land 3 (I LOVE THIS GAME SO MUCH!!!!)

Of course I played game boy games on it like the Game and Watch Gallery games (which are awesome), but other than that, I didn't have much more of it because I was sinking my teeth in the new Game Boy Advance in 2001. I will say its underrated, even though it did sell 50 million copies worldwide.

Your thoughts?

Greisha1

Postby Greisha1 » April 24th, 2013, 11:16 pm

I don't think it was really under or over rated ... it was just "there." Too incremental of a hardware upgrade and came too close to the GBA release.

I did like SMB Deluxe, though. That game was solid.

Rev1

Postby Rev1 » April 24th, 2013, 11:21 pm

While the GBC didn't really up the ante like GBA did (it was basically a GB with slightly better graphics and COLOR!) it really had a solid library. I don't think the console was underrated as it was huge during it's time. While many refer to the GBA I still play quite a few GBC titles either through my Game boy Player or through emulation. I really have a lot of fond memories of the handheld and it was my first new handheld I ever bought. I also thought it was nice how it was the first backwards compatible handheld released, allowing you to not only play your GB games but also ad some needed color to many titles.

Blueguy1

Postby Blueguy1 » April 25th, 2013, 2:05 am

I completely forgot about the GBC version of Mario Tennis. That game was one of my favorites back in the early 2000's, and I became addicted to the RPG mode (best gaming concept ever). It's sad that a 2000 GBC Mario Tennis is way better than the 3DS version, since for some reason Nintendo was too lazy to put an RPG mode in.

Oltobaz1

Postby Oltobaz1 » April 25th, 2013, 2:43 am

It wasn't underrated when it came out, but its short life span sort of explains why it might seem this way today. It does have some great games, what with its own Metal Gear, the definite Link's Awakening version, titles you guys have brought up, and hidden gems like Shantae.

Algus1

Postby Algus1 » April 30th, 2013, 6:53 pm

Many of the games that came out when the GBC was new were also backwards compatible with GB.  I don't know how big the list of GBC exclusives is but I can't imagine it is very large.  To me the GBC was very much just an upgrade of GB than a new handheld.   I know I loved mine though.  I played it till the battery cover fell off and I kept using it after I had to use tape to keep the batteries in place.   Not sure what happened to mine now as I eventually replaced it with a GBA but I'd like to get another one some day.   

Return to “Classic Gaming”