Solar Fox for the 2600

Reserved for classic gaming discussions.
Teddybear1

Solar Fox for the 2600

Postby Teddybear1 » August 30th, 2013, 10:05 am

Solar Fox has been getting some heavy play time this summer on my Atari 2600.  I have had this one for years but have just truly discovered the gem that it is.  I'm still not sure if I like the control mechanism - it does offer pin-point precision on my well-broke in Gemstick but I can't think of another Atari game that leaves my wrist a little sore after long playing sessions.  Simple, challenging and so addictive.....check this one out!

And this game is the only time that I ever want to "SKIP A RACK"!

Think about it! [wink]

Leo1

Solar Fox for the 2600

Postby Leo1 » August 31st, 2013, 1:06 am

Give a Genesis gamepad a try with this game. That should help make it more comfortable.

This is the first videogame I have any recollections of playing. I suspect there was probably arcade games before this, but Solar Fox on Christmas day when I was about five on my new Coleco Gemini is my earliest videogame memory. That probably helps my love of it but I think this is genuinely one of the 2600's gems. Precise controls, challenging gameplay, variety, colorful and sharp graphics, and nice audio. Doesn't get much better than this. 

Was sad to see the arcade original never given any attention on any Midway compilations. It's a fun game (Although I prefer the 2600 effort) with several major differences like Sentinels around the entire perimeter and your ship is armed and can disable them temporarily (Elements present on the other home port on the C64).

But I think CBS improved upon it on the more limited 2600. 

Astrosmasher1

Solar Fox for the 2600

Postby Astrosmasher1 » August 31st, 2013, 9:09 am

A cracking game.

Return to “Classic Gaming”