Top 10 favorite RPGs of all time?

Reserved for classic gaming discussions.
scotland171

Postby scotland171 » March 29th, 2014, 1:21 pm

Based on everyone's suggestions, Chrono Trigger seems to be the blue ribbon, with Final Fantasy VI as the main challenger. 

m0zart1

Postby m0zart1 » March 30th, 2014, 10:06 pm

[QUOTE=Marriott_Guy]KOTOR 2[/QUOTE]

Kotor 2 but not Kotor huh?  Man, I don't think I could disagree more.  Different strokes I guess.

JWK1

Postby JWK1 » April 2nd, 2014, 12:53 pm

Man I'd love to find an affordable version of Suikoden II in the wild, but it hasn't happened yet.  I had a chance to get one for just under $100, but I felt that was too much for any single game.  Looking back, I should have bought it.  Here's hoping Konami puts the darn thing on PSN before too long.

Ditto Valkyrie Profile.  Word is the "Lenneth" version on PSP isn't as good as the NA release on PSOne.  Luckily it seems to have gone down in price, so I might be able to snag it for $70 or so.  Getting into some of the deeper cuts of JRPG history can be an expensive proposition.

darkrage61

Postby darkrage61 » April 2nd, 2014, 2:00 pm

There are a few copies of Suikoden 2 on Ebay going for less then 100$, though those are the Japanese versions.

weallmissedme1

Postby weallmissedme1 » April 2nd, 2014, 8:33 pm

5. FF7
4. Final Fantasy Legend 2
3. Vandal Hearts
2. Shining Force 2
1. Paper Mario!

JustLikeHeaven1

Postby JustLikeHeaven1 » April 3rd, 2014, 10:52 am

These are my favorites and the ones that I can always go back and play

1.  Star Control 2 (3DO) - Many people don't consider this an RPG...it is.  It's the best RPG ever made.  Epic space conflict, unique alien races, excellent writing, open galaxy to explore and much more.  It's worth purchasing a used 3DO JUST for this game. 

2.  Final Fantasy Tactics (PS1) - There have been many great Final Fantasy games over the past couple decades, but this is my favorite.  The highly customizable 'job system' is amazing to play around with.  Satisfying combat, coupled with a great plot makes it an amazing game.  I think you can get this on the iPad now...I highly recommend it.

3.  Fable (XBOX) - Screw the haters lol!  I LOVE this game.  Yes it has flaws, but it's just so damn good.  You have to play it with a sense of.... get this - 'role playing'.  The game easily lets you do what you want...but trying playing through as an evil wizard or a holy paladin and DON'T deviate from that path.  It's a very rewarding experience.  Plus this ramps up the replayability.  

4.  Fallout (PC) - This game blew my mind when I was a teenager.  I had never played anything like this...it was gritty, grim and funny. The action was intense and it felt like your choices really matter.  Also, it was great to play through the game with different skills.  For example if you had no charisma everyone you spoke with treated you like crap!  That type of stuff was fantastic.  

5.  Deception (PS1) - Deception is a weird one.  It's a first person game where you are wrongfully killed and then make a pact with the devil to get your revenge.  Revenge is served by luring people to your castle, setting up traps and maiming them to death, home alone style.  It's really out there...but it's a great game.  Tecmo has surprisingly made several more of these games, with the latest one being released in March on the PS3.

6.  Earthbound (SNES) - This is one of my favorite games that Nintendo has ever put out.  I tend to like RPGs with atypical settings...and this one scores high in that regard.  The game is funny, the gameplay is tight and the story is good.  I wish Nintendo would release a this on the 3DS or something...being on the Wii U is good, but I'd love for a physical release.

7   Jade Empire (XBOX) - I'm not really a big fan of BioWare.  I don't particularly care for their bloated style and overwrought scripts.  Their new stuff bores me to tears.  However, in the original XBOX days, they hit a couple of homeruns with KOTOR and Jade Empire.  I love the fantasy Chinese setting and how easy this game played.  It was beautiful to look at and I could play it for hours on end.

8.  Final Fantasy Legends (GB) - I played the mess out of this game as a kid.  Recently, I went back and gave it another go...it still rocks.  It's very primative and not actually part of the Final Fantasy series (it's part of something called SaGa Frontier).  However, I loved the story, the quick battles and endless variety of monsters.  Great game and totally worth tracking down.

9.  Final Fantasy VI (SNES) - I've put more time into FF VII, but I enjoy this one quite a bit more.  It has amazing music, a quirky sense of humor, awesome battle system, TONS of playable characters and a great villian.  Square perfected the FF formula with this one.  I could play this every few years and never tire of it.

10. Persona 2 - Eternal Punishment (PS1) - Like FF, there are tons of great Persona games out there.  However, I feel like this PS1 classic just edges out Persona 3.  It's dark and brooding, very grim...but still highly enjoyable.  The fact that you can use demons as part of the battles has been a series trademark and it sucks me in everytime.  Over the past couple of years, JRPG fans have handed the crown to Atlus' Persona series as best in the genre.  It's hard to argue with them when these games are just so good.

nesfan1

Postby nesfan1 » April 5th, 2014, 4:05 pm

Final Fantasy VI just turned 20 years old. It was released in Japan on April 2, 1994. So if anyone who has never played it is looking for an excuse to try it out, well there's that.

Greisha1

Postby Greisha1 » April 13th, 2014, 4:28 pm

I saw that Marriott Guy put Dragon Quest VIII on his list, and decided to get a copy.

Here's hoping it's better than Dragon Warrior/Quest VII! That one REALLY disappointed me.

JWK1

Postby JWK1 » April 16th, 2014, 12:24 pm

@Greisha - If you talk to major Dragon Quest fans, they tend to site DQ 5 or 8 as their favorite.  And (if it makes you feel better) DQ7 tends to be near the bottom of the list.  I've never played 7, as the PSOne discs tend to be expensive, but I'm hoping we get the 3DS remake someday.

JustLikeHeaven1

Postby JustLikeHeaven1 » April 16th, 2014, 2:50 pm

I really wish that Square Enix would release a Dragon Quest Collection on the PS3 or Xbox 360 or Wii U.  It seems like they've translated most of the games for DS versions.  It would be nice to play these on a big screen TV.  

Return to “Classic Gaming”