Must Have Games for the NES?

Reserved for classic gaming discussions.
JustLikeHeaven1

Postby JustLikeHeaven1 » November 4th, 2014, 3:01 pm

Alright, so lately I've been on a big retro kick...especially with the NES.  After a few years of laying dormant I'm going to start collecting for the system again.  So I'm looking to compile a sort of short list of games I need to get my hands on. 

So I'm looking for a list of recommendations of great NES games...but don't include the obvious stuff.  I have all the Mario games, Mega Man, Castlevania, Bionic Commando, Punch Out, Zeldas....I grabbed all of those classics years ago.  I'm looking for that next tier of NES classics if you will.  

Feel free to post a couple of suggestions or post a list of Top 10 or Top 20!  Thanks so much!

Sut1

Postby Sut1 » November 4th, 2014, 4:01 pm

I find the NES a curious beast, America loved the thing, here in Europe....we didn't care.

I've not played much NES, put it down to the usual European apathy towards Nintendo but the ones I've enjoyed are Probotector (Contra), Duck Tales, Micro Machines and I actually used to enjoy Teenage Mutant Hero Turtles as well.

nesfan1

Postby nesfan1 » November 4th, 2014, 5:55 pm

I'll give you a top 20. Well not really a top 20, just a list of 20 good ones. If you're wanting to play NES, you gotta play:
  1. Startropics and Startropics II
  2. Little Nemo: The Dream Master
  3. Blades of Steel
  4. Marble Madness
  5. The Little Mermaid
  6. Super Dodgeball
  7. River City Ransom
  8. Adventures of Lolo
  9. Kirby's Adventure
  10. Crystalis
  11. Final Fantasy
  12. Dragon Warrior series
  13. Stinger (Twinbee)
  14. Life Force
  15. Xevious
  16. Shatterhand
  17. MC Kids
  18. Spy vs. Spy
  19. Bubble Bobble
  20. Paperboy

velcrozombie1

Postby velcrozombie1 » November 4th, 2014, 8:05 pm

Some of my favorites were already mentioned (Startropics and Crystalis, especially), but I'll try to name a few other.

I've always heard that Vice: Project Doom is one of the best NES games, but I've never played it myself. It has a mix of Ninja Gaiden-style action stages, driving stages and Operation Wolf-style shooting stages.

Code Name Viper is Capcom's Rolling Thunder clone, but it's very fun (not to mention very difficult).

I don't know how obvious a choice it is, but the first Batman game for the NES is amazing, especially if you're already a fan of Ninja Gaiden and Mega Man.

1943 is a very fun WWII-themed shooter by Capcom that I poured many hours into.

I put a TON of time in Legacy of the Wizard, but it's the type of game that might work better in the age of the Internet walkthrough (the game's world is both enormous and confusing). If you enjoy exploring, you might get a lot out of this game.

I loved Cobra Triangle when I was younger, although I don't know how well it holds up. It's certainly unique (as are many Rare games).

Even though it has very little to do with the arcade-style action games that it's derived from, I always liked the NES version of Strider. Not a classic, but a pretty solid nonlinear globetrotting action-adventure game.

For multiplayer: North and South, Archon and Ice Hockey

Ferf131

Postby Ferf131 » November 4th, 2014, 9:03 pm

Here are some suggestions

Archon
Commando
Double Dribble
Elevator action
Excitebike
Galaga
Gradius
Gun.Smoke
Kings of the Beach
Kung Fu
Pinball
Popeye
R.C. Pro-Am
Rescue: The Embassy Mission
Super Off-Road
Tecmo Super Bowl
Track & Field

Oltobaz1

Postby Oltobaz1 » November 5th, 2014, 1:42 am

Batman, Double Dragon 2, Faxanadu, Life Force.. To name a few.

JustLikeHeaven1

Postby JustLikeHeaven1 » November 5th, 2014, 9:55 am

[QUOTE=nesfan]I'll give you a top 20. Well not really a top 20, just a list of 20 good ones. If you're wanting to play NES, you gotta play:
  1. Startropics and Startropics II
  2. Little Nemo: The Dream Master
  3. Blades of Steel
  4. Marble Madness
  5. The Little Mermaid
  6. Super Dodgeball
  7. River City Ransom
  8. Adventures of Lolo
  9. Kirby's Adventure
  10. Crystalis
  11. Final Fantasy
  12. Dragon Warrior series
  13. Stinger (Twinbee)
  14. Life Force
  15. Xevious
  16. Shatterhand
  17. MC Kids
  18. Spy vs. Spy
  19. Bubble Bobble
  20. Paperboy
[/QUOTE]

1. Startropics and Startropics II - Own both of these
  2. Little Nemo: The Dream Master - Own
  3. Blades of Steel - Own
  4. Marble Madness - Own 
  5. The Little Mermaid - Think I need Duck Tales before this lol
  6. Super Dodgeball - Own
  7. River City Ransom - Need to get
  8. Adventures of Lolo - Own
  9. Kirby's Adventure - Need to get (have the Wii Compilation that includes this though)
  10. Crystalis - Own
  11. Final Fantasy - Don't own the NES cart...but I have several versions of this game
  12. Dragon Warrior series - Need to get
  13. Stinger (Twinbee) - Was always curious about this one
  14. Life Force - Own
  15. Xevious - On the want list
  16. Shatterhand - Need to get
  17. MC Kids - Not all that interested...but should I be?
  18. Spy vs. Spy - Will need to get at some point
  19. Bubble Bobble - Own
  20. Paperboy - Own

Thanks for the great list Nesfan!  As you can see I've got quite a few of these.  I'll certainly add the rest to my short list though.

JustLikeHeaven1

Postby JustLikeHeaven1 » November 5th, 2014, 9:58 am

[QUOTE=Josh]A game that I hope that I may one day be able to finish is That Battle of Olympus. It's kind of like Zelda II. It's also sort of a cult classic.

It's pretty well known but I also really enjoyed Jackal as a kid. If I can recall anymore, I'll post. I've been getting the retro feel lately as well. I'm thinking about downloading Shovel Knight.[/QUOTE]

I actually bought a complete copy of The Battle of Olympus about 7 years ago.  I've never really dug into it though.  I knew that it was like Zelda II though.  Perhaps I should give it a go and post some thoughts.  It's odd, I vividly remember the advertisements for the game and it got good reviews.  You NEVER hear anyone talk about it now though.

I also own Jackal.  That game is great and a must own for NES collectors.

Return to “Classic Gaming”