Intellivision LIVES!

Reserved for classic gaming discussions.
Alienblue

Intellivision LIVES!

Postby Alienblue » August 6th, 2006, 6:17 am

Thank you for the info! I was hoping it was (at long long last) a real INTELLIVISION THREE, an updated version of a classic 2-D console. I'd be happier if it came with "burgertime2"! I too appreciate REAL competition but I seriously doubt this will affect the wii/Ps3/360 war at ALL, unless they intend to seriously undercut them pricewise, selling a "real" system for REAL cheap, say $99...the necessity of both cards and CDs hints at that possibility...we'll see.

Atarifever1

Intellivision LIVES!

Postby Atarifever1 » August 6th, 2006, 8:29 am

[QUOTE=Anayo]
I'm a little more wary. This thing could end up being like the plug and play games you see at Wal-Mart, or those "Video Now" handheld things that can play games. I think this thing could be pretty spiffy, or it could just be a kids toy marketed to an audience who wouldn't be able to differentiate something of cheaper, lesser quality than a "real" gaming system.
[/QUOTE]
My biggest concern is that, as the cards will probably be the major money source, the games will be a secondary concern and  may not really be all that playable without them.  Perhaps the X-Men game, for example, will only have 2 characters selectable by the player without the cards, or a shooter might only have a couple weak weapons available at first.  I believe the news post points out that there will be hundreds of cards per game.  However,  if there are hundreds of characters for a fighter for a low budget system, I have trouble believing it'll stay balanced.

Anayo1

Intellivision LIVES!

Postby Anayo1 » August 6th, 2006, 1:00 pm

[QUOTE=Atarifever][QUOTE=Anayo]
I'm a little more wary. This thing could end up being like the plug and play games you see at Wal-Mart, or those "Video Now" handheld things that can play games. I think this thing could be pretty spiffy, or it could just be a kids toy marketed to an audience who wouldn't be able to differentiate something of cheaper, lesser quality than a "real" gaming system.
[/QUOTE]
My biggest concern is that, as the cards will probably be the major money source, the games will be a secondary concern and  may not really be all that playable without them.  Perhaps the X-Men game, for example, will only have 2 characters selectable by the player without the cards, or a shooter might only have a couple weak weapons available at first.  I believe the news post points out that there will be hundreds of cards per game.  However,  if there are hundreds of characters for a fighter for a low budget system, I have trouble believing it'll stay balanced.
[/QUOTE]

Yeah, something like that. It's a two edged sword of sorts that could either be really cool or really gimmicky. Good prediction... I don't see that being too unlikely. Who knows, though. We'll see.

Anyone know if this thing can do realtime 3D, by the way?

Paul Campbell

Intellivision LIVES!

Postby Paul Campbell » August 6th, 2006, 9:17 pm

[QUOTE=Anayo][QUOTE=Paul Campbell]I'll support any new system that has anything going for it.  We need as much competition as possible so things keep moving foreward.  I'm excited about this one.  Especially being an Intellivision fan.  I know it's not an INTV, but it's something.
[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

You're totally right.  In fact, what you said is what I meant by "anything going for it".  If it turns out to be a glorified plug-n-play, count me out.  But if it has something real to offer, I'm in.

Robotrek

Re: Intellivision LIVES!

Postby Robotrek » May 14th, 2022, 12:26 pm

In light of the Amico debacle, it's fun to look back on oddball systems like this. I remember this thing confusing the hell out of me back in the day. A plug and play style system that used CDs and RFID cards? Seemed ridiculous. And it was.

Return to “Classic Gaming”