What FMV 'Interactive Movies' would you have in your Sega Mega CD Collection ?

Reserved for classic gaming discussions.
Captain_Crunch1

Postby Captain_Crunch1 » November 20th, 2014, 2:20 pm

If you liked 'Snatcher' I'd recommend 'Rise of the Dragon'. It's not a FMV game, but - like Snatcher - a dark noir graphic adventure game that's really enjoyable.

Sut1

Postby Sut1 » November 20th, 2014, 3:14 pm

Thanks for that Captain, I don't think it ever saw a PAL release though, I will see if I can use the Everdrive as a region unlocking device for the Sega CD.

Rev1

Postby Rev1 » November 20th, 2014, 6:34 pm

[QUOTE=Captain_Crunch]If you liked 'Snatcher' I'd recommend 'Rise of the Dragon'. It's not a FMV game, but - like Snatcher - a dark noir graphic adventure game that's really enjoyable.[/QUOTE]

Rise of the Dragon is really good. The only thing I disliked was how easy it was to get lost in the game. In Snatcher I could always figure it out but it was easy to actually miss some key plot points which prevented you from progressing. Still, it is definitely a good game for Snatcher fans (plus it is a lot cheaper).

PSX1

Postby PSX1 » November 22nd, 2014, 11:34 pm

[QUOTE=Rev]I think Road Avenger, Night Trap, and Time Gal are typically the quintessential FMV games for the Sega CD. They are all "okay" but if you are a fan of FMV games then these are probably the best of the best. Road Avenger is at least interesting and Night Trap is kind of like watching a bad horror movie (like really bad).[/QUOTE]

Well put Rev, I was just about to give the same list. The general consensus from all the reviews, literature, etc. that I've read is that these three are considered the top FMV games on Sega CD.  The Digital Press guide refers to Road Avenger as one of "arguably the best full-motion video games ever designed," and the VGC's review seems to concur.  I can't back that up, though, as I've never played any of these games.  Haven't played many FMV games at all actually.

Enjoy Snatcher, though.  Just 4 years ago, I bought my complete copy for $125 on Amazon.  I've never seen a game shoot up in value so fast, but, as you know, it now goes for about $275-$350.  I just finally played and beat it a few months ago.  I do think it's a bit overrated, but I still enjoyed it a lot.  I'll say this-- there were a lot of times when I was bored going through the point-and-click routine, but the story is compelling enough that it's the type of game that really sticks with you long after it's done.  I'm now finally playing through Metal Gear Solid 4 and I love the Snatcher references and inside jokes.

nesfan1

Postby nesfan1 » November 23rd, 2014, 3:02 am

I've never really been interested in the FMV genre but whenever I get around to buying a Sega CD, there are two that I want to pick up. The anime fan in me wants to play Time Gal. I also really want to play Road Avenger because, well... Have you seen Road Avenger? That game is ridiculous.

goldenband1

Postby goldenband1 » November 30th, 2014, 10:52 am

I'll throw in another recommendation for Wirehead, which I played through with my wife and liked a lot. The lack of a save function is a drag, but otherwise it's great fun. We also enjoyed Panic a great deal. Mansion of Hidden Souls was easy, but pleasant.

Fahrenheit was fun to figure out, but it definitely gets nasty on the hardest difficulty. We wanted to like Dracula Unleashed and Sherlock Holmes, but found them both completely frustrating. We haven't tried Night Trap or Double Switch yet -- they're on our list.

Most of these games benefit tremendously from having two players, where one navigates and makes a map of all the possible choices and their consequences. It's an absolute must for Fahrenheit.

As for solo gaming, I liked Tomcat Alley, but found that Midnight Raiders crossed the line into frustration and tedium. Supreme Warrior is surprisingly playable on Easy (at least given all the reviews that claim it's impossible), but I can't imagine playing it without all the cues.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » November 30th, 2014, 6:56 pm

I also enjoy FMV games.  I just bought a copy of Wirehead due to this thread. 

rift1

Postby rift1 » December 1st, 2014, 5:39 pm

No one has mentioned my favorite Sega CD fmv game yet - Ground Zero: Texas

Written and directed by the duo who brought you Halloween 4: The Return of Michael Myers!

It's cheesy fun and not too hard to beat

Return to “Classic Gaming”