New ZX Spectrum to be released April

Reserved for classic gaming discussions.
Sut1

Postby Sut1 » January 16th, 2015, 12:26 pm

http://m.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-nottinghamshire-30810148

I know the guys over the pond probably won't be as excited about this as us Brits, but the nations favourite micro computer is making a come back. It's also being manufactured in my home county of Nottinghamshire!

Working similar to the recent flashback consoles it will come pre-loaded with 1000 games !
Although it won't feature a full keyboard which could be an issue with some games.

Looking forward to seeing this in action.

scotland171

Postby scotland171 » January 16th, 2015, 7:45 pm

That sounds really fun for those who remember the Speccy fondly. A 1000 games and an SD slot too. Shame about using a virtual keyboard though.

Probably will not make the colonies over here, but I wish it success. Sounds like it was crowd funded, and a piece of the price goes to charity. Is the joypad a 9 pin like the C64 or did the Vega go with a modern USB port? Sounds a bit pricey, but quantities might be limited, and can you imagine having 1000 games back in the 80s.

If you get one, please tell us about it!

FinalLapTwinkie1

Postby FinalLapTwinkie1 » January 18th, 2015, 6:11 am

Not a computer I am familiar with but I do hope it sells well and others take notice. Strong interest made lead to someone releasing a Commodore 64 flashback.

Sut1

Postby Sut1 » January 18th, 2015, 8:07 am

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/sinclair-zx-spectrum-vega#description

Sorry I don't think it will have the classic 9-pin port, probably USB. This is something I don't really need as I have two original Spectrums and load games from an iPod.

However I will still buy one to show backing to the project and support future projects. The Spectrum was the UK's 2600 so I think it will sell extremely well here, but I'm not convinced it will in other territories as the systems quirks that we find so endearing may be lost on new unfamiliar audiences who have no nostalgia for this wonderful machine.

TheLastNightmare1

Postby TheLastNightmare1 » January 18th, 2015, 12:21 pm

^Lowers the color clashed flag to half mast.^

Blasphemy! How do you create a Spectrum that can't be programmed to play your very own Spectrum games? It's sold it's soul for a piece of that pseudo-retro Flashback market - just imagine all the thousands of new games we won't be playing now! Boo! Hiss! Will it even work in the states? Nevermind me! I'm only buying one to protect someone else from this unholy abortion. As soon as possible! How many games built-in?

I'll never be free from the devil's grip again.

Okay...I admit it, I just really, really, want one.

But I still feel sort of dirty...

scotland

Re: Spectrum Next

Postby scotland » May 9th, 2016, 1:29 pm

This thread was originally about the Vega, and more recently a Vega portable project still underway, I think.

There is a new hardware FPGA Spectrum console in the works - the Spectrum Next
http://www.specnext.com/

scotland

Re: New ZX Spectrum to be released April

Postby scotland » December 23rd, 2016, 8:58 am

Just reading a review of the ZX Spectrum Vega+ handheld.

http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/review/2476479/zx-spectrum-vega-hands-on-review
This article is 2 months old, so not sure if they ever want on sale before Christmas. Apparently there is a story about how it went from crowd funding to production. The review above is pretty positive. The system has 1000 games in it, an SD slot to add more, good controls, nice screen, etc. You can even connect up a keyboard, which is quite important. Its got a D-pad for controls, but maybe the Speccy users always used joypads instead of us yanks who favored joysticks during those heady days.

Stalvern

Postby Stalvern » December 27th, 2016, 12:55 am

Nah, they used joysticks. Joysticks and baffling two-handed keyboard configurations.

scotland

Postby scotland » June 6th, 2018, 10:56 pm

The Vega Plus is in the news - and in a Coleco Chameleon kind of way.

The portable ZX Speccy raised almost $700,000 in 2016, and was supposed to have released in 2016. Well, its 2018, and its debated if there is even a prototype let alone actual production models, and Indiegogo is contracting debt collectors.

Return to “Classic Gaming”