Trading dilemma. Any advice?

Reserved for classic gaming discussions.
kew9820001

Postby kew9820001 » April 29th, 2014, 5:17 pm

Over the weekend, I met a guy at a yard sale that is an avid gaming collector as me. Somewhere in our conversation we started talking about the Turbografx-16. I told him I had recently acquired a Turbo Express and was overall satisfied with it with the exception of the hard to see, small screen and the fact I couldn't hook it up to a TV like you can do with the Sega Nomad. He told me that he had an actual working Turbografx-16 home console with 2 controllers, RF cable, and power adapter and that he would be willing to trade me even. This is where I have my dilemma, the advantages I see with the home console would be a bigger screen and the option to have the Turbo Booster+ to have composite video and save games without a password. There's also the CD-Rom, attachment. The only advantages of the Turbo Express I see is its portability, rarity, and TV tuner, which is obsolete now since TV stations have gone digital. I have read on the internet that there is a video mod that can be done so that you can hook the Turbo Express up to a TV. There's also, of course, the LCD mod. Anyone have any advice as to what I should do? I'm really at a loss here, lol.[confused]

Oltobaz1

Postby Oltobaz1 » April 29th, 2014, 6:24 pm

Nec consoles are so awesome. I'd keep the Turbo Express, save some money (if it's an issue), and eventually get a TG16. But then, I'd realize I'm missing out on Japanese Hu cards, and would be on the look out for a PC Engine, a  Coregraphx, or, better yet, a Supergraphx.. 

ptdebate1

Postby ptdebate1 » April 29th, 2014, 6:52 pm

I'd say you should look at what your goals with the system are. If you're going to be doing much "hardcore" gaming, poor battery life of the Express and inevitable failure of its LCD screen are major factors to consider. If you want to play a lot of TG games, I would recommend getting the home system. If your goal with the hardware is primarily to collect, then definitely hold on to the Express. A working one is far more valuable in the long run than what he's offering you. 

Rev1

Postby Rev1 » April 29th, 2014, 9:32 pm

Collector's opinion... I would keep the turbo express. A t-16 by itself isn't worth as much as the handheld is. Turbo Express is worth about $175 for all the usual hookups. The T-16 is worth probably around $85-105 with 2 controllers and all hook ups. The T-16 has jumped up a lot in price but so has the Turbo Express. If you're solely interested in being able to play T-16 games on a tv, and you don't want to collect the Turbo Express, I'd recommend selling it online or trying to get a better trade out of him. At least have him throw in a couple of decent games.

kew9820001

Postby kew9820001 » April 30th, 2014, 11:52 am

Thanks for the feedback! I've decided to go ahead and keep the Express. I consider myself more of a collector than a hardcore gamer and from my research, the Express will be worth a lot more in the long run. Although I do enjoy gaming, I prefer to do it casually with all my retro systems. I did run across a site that that deals specifically in modding the Turbo Express. For $90 I can get a 3.5 inch LCD mod, region mod, and the video out mod done. I am kind of apprehensive about doing because I don't know how reputable the modder is and I don't want to do anything to decrease the value of my Turbo Express. Any thoughts?

Wallyworld1

Postby Wallyworld1 » April 30th, 2014, 1:42 pm

I have a modded Nomad with modern screen. One benefit you get with modern screen you might not think of is increased battery life. New screens are much more efficient. My Nomad also has modded battery pack to lithium battery. Gives it an 9 hour battery life with an awesome lcd screen.

Rev1

Postby Rev1 » April 30th, 2014, 6:41 pm

It's really hard to tell if a mod will increase the value of the console/handheld because on one hand, you suddenly have a whole new audience who would have passed on the handheld before, but on the other, it is no longer an original turbo express which a decent chunk of collectors might not want.... If you actually want to play it I'd say go for it as long as you can trust the modder. I'm honestly unsure because the value could totally depend on the timing of your sale. It is very hard to actually get a value of a modded console/handheld since they usually are held onto or have different mods (since you can usually do a variety of mods). I would guess that it would probably increase the value by a bit since it would allow more people to enjoy the handheld, which gamers tend to want to enjoy their collections. In addition, the Turbo Express is pretty rare anyways so it probably wouldn't hurt the value, especially if the mods are desirable (most are).

Oltobaz1

Postby Oltobaz1 » May 1st, 2014, 1:43 am

It will hurt the value, as a collector's item, but might increase it as a gamer item. Should you eventually sell it, it will come down to skill, you might be able to part with it for a good price, 'console of yesteryear with today's techno', and voila. Diehard collectors won't be interested, but retrogamers just might. Then again, I personnally think (I have a PC Engine GT) the original screen is actually super sweet, even though fonts are hard to make out. Still, the PC Engine LT is way better even, but super rare and expensive, any console collection crown jewel if you ask me.

Return to “Classic Gaming”