Redesigned NES Analogue Nt Now Available for Pre-Order at a whopping $500

Reserved for classic gaming discussions.
Wallyworld1

Postby Wallyworld1 » May 13th, 2014, 12:11 pm

Everywhere I read about this thing said it uses original hardware. So it's not emulation and that's pretty cool. The fact it ouputs HDMI is also sweet. I would think about buying one if I had $500 to blow. (I don't)

They are also selling original controller cib for $50.  That's pretty steep for an NES controller.

Bluenote1

Postby Bluenote1 » May 13th, 2014, 12:20 pm

[QUOTE=Atarifever][QUOTE=Vexer]I very much doubt that, why on earth anyone would pay 500 bucks for something they could normally get for 10 times less is beyond me.[/QUOTE]

The entire food industry says hello.  Also, bottled water says hello and reminds you that it actually holds a product that falls out of the sky for free.  Out of the sky![/QUOTE]

I heard a comedian once say that people will constantly complain about paying $1.40 for a litre of gas, but will happily pay $2.00 for a litre of bottled water that they can get for free! 

Very true.

ptdebate1

Postby ptdebate1 » May 13th, 2014, 12:39 pm

I applaud the workmanship and artistry that went into this piece of hardware. NES games in pure RGB? I'm going to start saving up immediately.

Vexer1

Postby Vexer1 » May 13th, 2014, 2:51 pm

Atarifever- I really don't see what on earth the food industry and bottled water has to do with this topic at all, they're even not remotely the same thing.

People buy bottled water because for them it's convenient(though i've never wasted my money on that stuff), but there's nothing convenient about a 500 dollar console that you can easily get for less then 30 dollars. 

ptdebate1

Postby ptdebate1 » May 13th, 2014, 3:16 pm

[QUOTE=Vexer]

Atarifever- I really don't see what on earth the food industry and bottled water has to do with this topic at all, they're even not remotely the same thing.

People buy bottled water because for them it's convenient(though i've never wasted my money on that stuff), but there's nothing convenient about a 500 dollar console that you can easily get for less then 30 dollars. 

[/QUOTE]

NES consoles of all varieties share two things in common: lack of high-quality video output and poor build quality.

What you sacrifice in purchasing the more reliable alternative, the "top loader" is $60 and a visual downgrade that has to be seen to be fully understood.

It wasn't until the SFC/SNES that Nintendo became known for well-made (and well-designed) electronics. The consoles are so durable that even children can't break them. 23 years later, it's outside the norm to find one that's NOT working--the opposite of the NES situation. 

In addition to quality and reliability, all SFC/SNES consoles are built with the capability of outputting a pure analog RGB signal, just like other 16 and 32-bit consoles including the Genesis/MD and Atari Jaguar. The difference in quality between composite and RGB is another massive leap that must be seen to be fully understood.

For gamers that prefer a consistent, high quality experience to endless tinkering and repairing only to achieve subpar results, the Analogue NES may be the best thing that's ever happened to retro gaming since M2.

Tron1

Postby Tron1 » May 13th, 2014, 6:51 pm

I would love to have this just as much as all of you guys, but seriously $500? That's straight up outrageously stupid. I'd happily pay upwards of $200 for this, but that isn't even half way to the actual price. It's really a dang shame that whomever built and marketed this idol didn't decide to make it affordable.

kew9820001

Postby kew9820001 » May 13th, 2014, 9:38 pm

[QUOTE=Bluenote]It's too bad, because it outputs HDMI which a lot of retro gamers would love, but they chose to use really expensive materials.  If it used just a plastic case, and sold for $100, then I would guess it would sell like crazy.[/QUOTE]

I would have to agree with this. I would buy one and not even think twice about it if this were the case. Making it out of such expensive materials is just stupid and only limits the market to only the people with deep pockets.

El_Shamro1

Postby El_Shamro1 » May 17th, 2014, 9:07 am

The fluff makes this thing unnecessarily expensive. The idea behind the design on the internals is fine, but designing it with a superfluous "luxury" exterior makes it less desirable.

Return to “Classic Gaming”