MICROVISION (Milton Bradley, 1979)

Reserved for classic gaming discussions.
PSX1

Postby PSX1 » December 1st, 2013, 1:02 pm

Well, it's time for my next irrational console purchase.  For some reason I tend to gravitate toward the weirder and/or unique and/or obscure systems, even though I'm still missing a few better and more mainstream consoles from my collection (like Intellivision and Colecovision).  The candidate this time is the Microvision (for those who haven't heard of it, it's a primitive handheld with a very basic LCD screen, often considered to be the first handheld gaming system).  I was vacationing in New Jersey recently and went to the Digital Press store- they had a bunch of Microvision games for $5, so I picked up two (Blockbuster and Bowling) and now I'm compelled to get the system and more games.

As you can imagine, there aren't many reviews for Microvision games online (actually, I couldn't find any).  So, do you guys have any games that you would recommend?  Or wouldn't recommend?  And are there any other things I should know to be on the lookout for when buying the system (for example, any screen issues)?  Thanks in advance.

[microvision_box_small]

Sut1

Postby Sut1 » December 1st, 2013, 3:05 pm

Yes certain models have severe 'screen rot' where the LCD has bled. Apparently the later variation is the better. There is a decent video on YouTube by Ashens which is informative. The games are very, very basic.

http://youtu.be/Airzy8kTa0Q

Rev1

Postby Rev1 » December 1st, 2013, 6:21 pm

It's weird. I didn't realize there were so many consoles with "vision" at the end of them. Colecovision, intellivision, Microvision. Are there more?

Oltobaz1

Postby Oltobaz1 » December 1st, 2013, 7:23 pm

Just on top of my head, Watara's Supervision. To answer PSX, I own a Microvision, yet can't really think of any major issues I should bring up to the table, let's just say it's a great collectible, though there's not so much fun to be had there, I'm afraid.

Tron1

Postby Tron1 » December 1st, 2013, 11:04 pm

Nice thread, never heard of this before. Wonder why it didn't take off?

Oltobaz1

Postby Oltobaz1 » December 2nd, 2013, 4:03 am

Ah, just thought of a couple others, the Cassette Vision, and the Super Cassette Vision, from Epoch. 

Marriott_Guy1

Postby Marriott_Guy1 » December 2nd, 2013, 6:05 am

Some other consoles with that used 'vision' in the name : Bandai Super Vision 8000, Entex Adventure Vision, Gakken Compact Vision, Nichibutsu My Vision.

PSX1

Postby PSX1 » December 2nd, 2013, 6:24 pm

Thanks for the input guys.  And Sut, that video was def helpful (especially to realize that I should avoid Pinball at all costs).  I bought a Microvision online today.  Hopefully the screen still works well.  I added Cosmic Hunter, Baseball, and Star Trek: Phaser Strike to the games I already had, which were Blockbuster and Bowling.  I'm still open to any recommendations you guys might have.  Currently, the only two other games I plan to get are Connect Four and Mindbuster; they're both slow-paced and strategy/puzzle games, so I figure they might work well on an old LCD screen (similar to how slower paced games are the only ones that work well on Game.com).

For those interested in maybe picking one up, they're pretty cheap considering their age and significance as the first handheld system.  When I was searching ebay, a decent set seemed to go for like $40-$60 (i.e., system and several games).  They don't seem to be heavily collected or highly sought after, but it's also tough to find one in good working condition.  The system was designed by Jay Smith, who later worked on the Vectrex.  The games are almost all Pong-derivatives.  For example, Blockbuster is just a Breakout clone, Bowling is a game where your paddle moves really fast and you push the button at the right time to release the ball and hit the "pins", and Pinball is a lame game where you bounce your ball off your paddle (no flippers) and try to hit four bumpers on the screen to score points.  As far as I know, none of the released games are super rare and (according to Wikipedia) only 13 games exist for it, so it's not daunting to collect for.   Of course, it's more of a showpiece than a gaming system these days, as none of the games looked all that exciting in any of the Youtube videos I watched.

If that's not enough, though, the Microvision will also help you meet women.  I mentioned the system to my father to see if he remembered them from when he was younger.  He said he recognized it because he's a big fan of the Friday the 13th movies and the Microvision has a "supporting role" in Friday the 13th: Part II (1981).  I watched the scene.  Two of the teenagers are hanging out alone in a cabin -- one is a guy in a wheelchair and the other is a good looking girl.  So they're hanging out and then they start flirting with each other by playing Microvision games together.  I didn't keep watching to see if it worked out for the guy, but I think it's safe to assume they hooked up.  Lesson: chicks dig guys with Microvisions.

txsizzler1

Postby txsizzler1 » December 15th, 2013, 1:45 am

Here is another console with "vision".. TandyVision! The Intellivision clone! Don't forget all the game companies with "vision" in their titles... TigerVision, Activision, Spectravision, SierraVision, etc.

goldenband1

Postby goldenband1 » December 16th, 2013, 12:55 pm

I picked one of these up recently at a yard sale, along with a pretty much complete set of CIB US releases. So far I've only played a couple of the games, partly because my system seems to have a problem where the paddle/dial becomes very twitchy after 1-2 minutes of play. (It might be a low battery issue -- I hope so, haven't tried a replacement yet.)

It's a very crude system, but vaguely entertaining. It's allegedly very vulnerable to static electricity discharge, so it might be better not to play it much in the winter! [eek]

BTW one more system with "vision" in the title: the very rare Entex Adventure Vision.

Return to “Classic Gaming”