I ordered a Superpad 64 and a Hori mini pad.

Reserved for classic gaming discussions.
porynog1

Postby porynog1 » February 12th, 2013, 1:29 am

I bought a Superpad new back in the '90s and out of the box it didn't even work. It actually (somehow) freezes my game when I plug it in.

michaeld1

Postby michaeld1 » February 12th, 2013, 1:30 am

[QUOTE=rift][QUOTE=steephen]Tell me how many N64 games really USE the D-pad. And for those games the original D-pad works just FINE. It is the plastic base on the analog stick that makes the original break so easily. 
[/QUOTE]

The super pad doesn't have a plastic base, hence why it's so good.  Some really good N64 games use d-pad for movement, such as WCW/NWO: Revenge.  How you would play that on that Hori pad I have no idea.  [/QUOTE]

N64 games that use the D-Pad significantly? Kirby 64, Mischief Makers, the Pokemon Stadium games, Jeopardy, THQ's WCW and WWF wrestling games, Magical Tetris Challenge, The New Tetris,, Pokemon Puzzle League, the Mortal Kombat games, Dr. Mario, and basically every puzzle game and fighter on the system (except Super Smash Bros, of course).  A lot of those (but not all) are really good pick-ups for the system that are better suited to other controllers due to their D-Pad requirements.  That being said, if the analog stick is all that matters, the Hori-Pad still looks like a good bet.  I'd probably want to pick one up to get a sense of it, if only for the stick.

Leo1

Postby Leo1 » February 12th, 2013, 3:09 pm

[QUOTE=rift]The hori pad on the other hand renders the d-pad completely useless - look at it and tell me how you're supposed to play games that use the d-pad for movement??[/QUOTE]

In those rare instances, you plug in your 1st party gamepad with the wore out analog stick. Nothing wrong with the stock d-pad.

The placement on the Hori makes it more convenient when used for a secondary function in a game. I'm glad it's the way it is.

rift1

Postby rift1 » February 12th, 2013, 5:37 pm

and I'm glad there are controllers on the market that give you both.  

Oltobaz1

Postby Oltobaz1 » February 13th, 2013, 3:40 pm

http://zoki64.deviantart.com/art/custom-NES-themed-N64-controller-3533650054

I'd totally get this one, amazing paint job!

steephen1

Postby steephen1 » February 14th, 2013, 10:06 pm

My SuperPad has made me very happy today

While it was weird at first (the controls are SLIGHTLY tilted to the right) it became very responsive! It's so nice having a joystick recenter this quickly on the n64! The Controller Pak slot on the controller is a little tight, but otherwise it works just fine. I'm happy to say that it isn't as awkward as one would think. Even though the Z button is TINY. But at least I can FINALLY play racing games without destroying the controller. I can't wait for my HoriPad!

Burk1

Postby Burk1 » February 18th, 2013, 11:05 pm

I was never aware of hori controllers until your post. After checking them out,I must have a mini for my n64. Unfortunately they do cost a lot,so I will have to save up a little.

steephen1

Postby steephen1 » February 23rd, 2013, 11:53 am

My Horipad came in a little late, but I can't say that I'm not happy. Now, there are a few problems. First off all, sometimes the analog stick lingers around a bit, I'll have to get inside and clean it. Second, I have very large hands, so the controller to me feels like a gameboy micro to alot of you. But, it seems to have quality written all over it. Though I should have ordered a Red one, this Green is UGLY

Oltobaz1

Postby Oltobaz1 » February 23rd, 2013, 12:10 pm

So, which one do you prefer, then?

steephen1

Postby steephen1 » February 23rd, 2013, 12:34 pm

For platformers and the Zelda games and such, there really is no competition, the hori beats the SuperPad out. However, for racing games, Resident Evil 2, and Paper mario, I like the superpad better. It has just the right amount of "give" to feel great for those games. Both are top of the line. I'd recommend both of them Oltobaz, each has their advantages and disadvantages, and for games that need the D-pad for good control, I'd say stick to the original controller 

Return to “Classic Gaming”