The King of [insert game here]

Reserved for classic gaming discussions.
Viper821

Postby Viper821 » April 24th, 2014, 1:17 pm

Super Mario World (SNES): I have never met anybody who could do better than I. I figured out all the secret levels without any help and found the whole game (even the "super hard" secret levels) to be a complete joke. Even the first time I played it at Kmart I had a crowd watching me: I was just a natural!

Blades of Steel (NES): While my brother is compatible in skill level with myself (how many 1-0 games did we have?) I will never forget everyone bragging how good they were back in the day. One of my brother's older friend laughed at me when I challenged him. Beat him 17-4. The trick is using the arrows (not the goalie) to make saves and making use of the pass button for an easy rebound goal.

Galaga (Arcade): Once got to level 16 without having to put in a second quarter. The trick is to allow one of your ships to be intentionally captured and recover it for double damage. Makes the game SO much easier since you can take out half the enemy ships right away. The downside is you are a bigger target but it's well worth it. I wasn't a legend but I almost cracked the top 10 (in those days, as a child under 10 HUGE deal).

BanjoPickles1

Postby BanjoPickles1 » April 27th, 2014, 4:58 am

Two games come to mind:

Punch Out (nes): I can normally get to Tyson/Mr. Dream without getting knocked down. On top of that, nearly every opponent is downed in the first round. On top of that, I can usually down Tyson/Mr. Dream (not always) by the second round. There were two times that I beat him by decision, which I later found out isn't all that difficult.

Ninja Gaiden I (nes): I can usually beat the game with two- to- three lives. I don't normally die until the fight with Jaquio, which definitely requires the fire wheel and enough ammo. The last boss is fairly easy.

I've tried getting as good at NG3, but that game is flat out CHEAP in spots! Good luck plowing through the final stage, where the toughest enemy is the timer itself!

Sut1

Postby Sut1 » April 27th, 2014, 8:05 am

Revenge of Shinobi - Mega Drive

I had this down to a single credit at one point and if memory serves I made it through once losing just one life (that damn pixel perfect water jump).

wgames771

Postby wgames771 » June 13th, 2014, 4:09 am

MVP Baseball 2005 on the PC. In the Dynasty mode, I always at least make it to the World Series. I'm also pretty good at Katamari Damacy on the PS2 in its multiplayer mode. I can usually roll up my opponent pretty easily there.

ActRaiser1

Postby ActRaiser1 » June 13th, 2014, 11:31 am

I used to be an animal on Goldeneye.  I could decimate anyone in multiplayer.  Now, I realize I was a cheap bastard and would camp out by the health and bulletproof jacket.  I'd just ran back and forth between the two.  With those two items and a rocket you were invincible.

Contra III - back in the day I'd start on Easy and then finish the game on Hard all in a single play session wrapping from one to the next.  Good times.

Street Fighter II SNES.  The best I ever did was losing two rounds total.  I think once to M.Bison and maybe once to Vega although my memory is probably a little fuzzy on that one.  Either way, in the original without all the extra "stuff", CE, Hyper, etc.  I was unstoppable as Ken/Ryu.  It was pretty easy to guard then counter.

velcrozombie1

Postby velcrozombie1 » June 13th, 2014, 11:39 am

I can beat both the original Castlevania and the arcade version of Golden Axe without using a continue. I'm a cool guy, right?

Gentlegamer1

Postby Gentlegamer1 » June 13th, 2014, 4:57 pm

Street Fighter II, SNES - I used to so dominate my friends that I offered to play with only one hand on the controller, and I still won.

Return to “Classic Gaming”