Just got a 2600

Reserved for classic gaming discussions.
rift1

Just got a 2600

Postby rift1 » August 9th, 2013, 8:57 pm

...now what? 

My family owned one when I was very young, and I owned one again when I was 10 or 11 but haven't had one in 20ish years.  

Are there any must-have peripherals or games I should know about?  Bitd I don't think I ever really got past the super common breakout/defender/ET/pacman/combat etc stuff. 

scotland171

Just got a 2600

Postby scotland171 » August 10th, 2013, 8:08 am

I enjoy using a slik stik third party controller. The joystick is smaller and quite sturdy and responsive. None of the larger joysticks have held up for me.

For games, there are often very large lots of game carts on ebay that may be a good foundation of a collection for a reasonable price. I have also used atari2600.com as a reliable seller.

For individual games, the critic seems to have grown up on the 2600 and I love his take on the library overall. Warlords, wizard of wor, adventure,...lots of A range games on his list.

snakeboy1

Just got a 2600

Postby snakeboy1 » August 10th, 2013, 9:19 am

My #1 suggestion is:  Buy a Harmony Cart.  If you get one, you will instantly have access to virtually the entire 2600 catalog.  And the thing is incredibly easy to use.  You simply download the game roms, load them onto an sd card, and then plug the sd card into the cartridge.

Now if you want to collect the actual carts, that's fine.  What kind of games do you like?  Fast-paced shooters?  Maze games?  Sports?  My personal favorite 2600 game is Millipede--just as good as the arcade version, if you ask me.  There is a ton of great games, and of course, you can just head to the Critic's 2600 section, look around, and find a game or two that piques your interest.

Next I would visit Atari Age and check out the homebrew scene.  One of the great things about the 2600 is that games are still being made for it all the time.  And these games aren't second-rate hacks--they are some of the best games for the system, period.  You can download roms for lots of homebrews, but I would suggest actually buying a few to support the people who work hard to make these games.

So...what style of system did you get?  What controllers did you get with it?  If you want a good solid stick, I would suggest buying this Wico bat-handle stick from atari2600.com (fyi, this is a great site for classic game collectors).  If you would prefer using a d-pad, remember that Genesis controllers are compatible with the 2600.  And if you don't already have paddle controllers, you should invest in a pair.

Well, hoped that helped some.  Along with the NES, the 2600 is my favorite system of all time.  Any other questions, just let me know.  Have fun!

pixelated1

Just got a 2600

Postby pixelated1 » August 10th, 2013, 9:45 am

Must have peripherals? Joysticks and a pair or two of paddles. Pretty simple.

Games? I'd say these are solid essentials:

Pitfall
Pitfall II
Yars Revenge
Missile Command
The Empire Strikes Back
Enduro
Berzerk
Keystone Kapers
Moon Patrol
Battlezone
Frogger
Spider Fighter
Warlords
Kaboom
Atlantis
Dig Dug
Ice Hockey
Cosmic Ark
Centipede
Ms. Pac-Man
River Raid
Dragonfire

These are just some of the excellent games on the system. I'd recommend getting some or all of them.

I don't know what your opinion of E.T. is/was, but I'd honestly pick that up too. It's worth owning. To me, it's not a terrible game, it's not a great game, it's just mediocre. But it's a fascinating game that for whatever reason I can't get away from.

rift1

Just got a 2600

Postby rift1 » August 10th, 2013, 11:01 am

Yeah I plan on picking up E.T. and the rest of the games I had from childhood, as well as branching out into some of the better stuff this time.  

I wasn't sure if the trackball was worth getting or if many games support it.  

I picked up a 6 switcher...even though now that I think about it I believe I had 4 switchers growing up.  

Not as interested in the arcade ports since I have the real thing of most of them but will definitely pick up Warlords since it's so fun and will be a lot cheaper than the arcade cocktail...

snakeboy1

Just got a 2600

Postby snakeboy1 » August 11th, 2013, 2:39 pm

[QUOTE=rift]I wasn't sure if the trackball was worth getting or if many games support it.  
[/QUOTE]

The trak-balls for the 2600 simply work as a substitute for the digital joysticks rather than offering real mouse-like trak-ball control.  The first-party Atari trak-ball has a switch that allows you to put it in trak-ball mode, but none of the original games even supported it.  The only game that I know of that supports it is the Missile Command trak-ball hack (that can be purchased in the Atari Age store if you're interested).

[QUOTE=rift]Not as interested in the arcade ports since I have the real thing of most of them but will definitely pick up Warlords since it's so fun and will be a lot cheaper than the arcade cocktail...[/QUOTE]

In my opinion just because you have access to the real thing, it shouldn't deter you from owning the 2600 ports.  I remember back in the day being disappointed by some of the 2600 arcade ports because they were different (some quite a bit different) from the arcade versions.  But over time this has turned out to be a blessing in disguise--since they are so different from their arcade couterparts, it actually makes them all the more worth owning.  They all have their own unique look and feel, making them very different from what you will find anywhere else.

Oh yeah, and many of them are really, really fun in their own way, some just as fun as what you'd find in the arcade...at least that's one man's opinion

rift1

Just got a 2600

Postby rift1 » August 17th, 2013, 4:44 pm

So the system has come along with 5 games so far.  Something funny is going on with the picture right now...not as clear as it should be and it looks like there is a really faint fuzzy rolling bar.  Haven't had much play time with the games yet but here are my initial one-play thoughts

Chopper Command - this is going to be fun. Nice graphics
Starmaster - don't have this one quite figured out yet, need to read the manual
Dark Cavern - The first stage seems really dark. Also not sure if sound is messed up or is supposed to be that horrible. Really hard but fun
Space Attack - can't get this cartridge to work
GI Joe - graphics are great, but I don't have paddle controllers yet so can't play it

rift1

Just got a 2600

Postby rift1 » August 28th, 2013, 2:23 am

update:  been playing this non-stop since the monitor I use for all my other systems broke and I have the 2600 plugged into its own commodore monitor.  Favorite games so far are Chopper Command, Kaboom, Vanguard, and GI Joe Cobra Strike.  I think the critic should give GI Joe another look. It is so much fun. 

Return to “Classic Gaming”