Doom Ports and Freedoom

Reserved for classic gaming discussions.
chuckee71

Doom Ports and Freedoom

Postby chuckee71 » April 21st, 2013, 5:18 pm

In your opinion, what is the best version of Doom that you have played?  I play the PC version all the time.  When I am on the go, I play the Game Boy Advance version all the time.  I often play the Playstation version too.  I never played the Jaguar version, but it is a very fun-to-play port.  
Have you ever heard of Freedoom?  It's a GNU/BSD licensed free game that has 3 versions.  Ultimate Freedoom is based on Ultimate Doom, FreeDM is deathmatch, and Freedoom is based on Doom 2.  I recommend that you run this on ZDoom.  Again, I have the Real PC Doom.  Remember, If you want to get Doom for free, get Freedoom.  Do not download Doom from a torrent site, or Id software's company will lose profit.  I bought mine from Steam.  You can extract the wad for Doom Builder 2 by going to c/Program Filesx86, Steam, steamapps, common, (game), base, and you can get the wad.  Master Levels for Doom 2 has the full doom2.wad bundled with it.  FreeDoom is actually based on the Doom source code, which is how the  developers were able to turn the game to a WAD file and mimic Doom's gameplay.  Remember, the bolded words are a reminder for the Video Game Critic to review the GBA version he forgot to review.  Bye!

LoganRuckman1

Doom Ports and Freedoom

Postby LoganRuckman1 » April 21st, 2013, 8:29 pm

I'm guessing you're a huge Doom fan.

Greisha1

Doom Ports and Freedoom

Postby Greisha1 » April 21st, 2013, 10:59 pm

I used to play the Ultimate Doom a lot for the PC, but no longer have a PC that can run it.

Algus1

Doom Ports and Freedoom

Postby Algus1 » April 22nd, 2013, 4:35 am

Whatever you're posting from now Greisha is probably enough to run Doom lol.  It has been ported to just about everything.   

I run it with prboom on my Chromebook via some hacking voodoo that gives me a Linux desktop.   Been playing Freedoom a bit, glad the levels aren't just clones of Doom levels as it gives something fresh to look at.  The visuals are hit or miss but the audio is decent.   

Every time I fire up regular Doom these days, it is massive nostalgia wave though.  I played the heck out of this game in the early 90s.  Unfortunately, that's not something Freedoom can replicate.

chuckee71

Doom Ports and Freedoom

Postby chuckee71 » April 22nd, 2013, 6:39 am

That's why there are source ports.  If doom can't run on the pc, take the wad and put it next to Zdoom, Prboom or something.

Sut1

Doom Ports and Freedoom

Postby Sut1 » April 22nd, 2013, 3:08 pm

I have a soft spot for the 32x version as that's the one I played when Doom was the big thing. Still think its one hell of a conversion now. Was going to get the Saturn version but by all accounts it sucks big time.

chuckee71

Doom Ports and Freedoom

Postby chuckee71 » April 22nd, 2013, 3:21 pm

The 32x version of Doom is decent, but SEGA should've left the BFG 9000 in the Refinery level in the Deimos part.

Herschie

Re: Doom Ports and Freedoom

Postby Herschie » April 28th, 2021, 11:27 pm

I recently started playing Doom 64 and I am absolutely hooked! Butchering enemies with a chainsaw has proven to be most satisfying. But I never got into Doom in the 90s because I'd get motion sickness.

So I figured that if I did a search that I could find everyone's favorite version. Apparently there are better Doom games out there than on N64 that now I must try.

But now that I've revived this thread I'd be interested to see what everyone's favorite version of Doom is.

Return to “Classic Gaming”