Classic Games you have to review ASAP

Reserved for classic gaming discussions.
chuckee71

Postby chuckee71 » December 23rd, 2013, 10:21 am

Here are some good and great games that you must review for your old systems:

NES-Solstice: The Quest for The Staff of Demnos

SMS-Galaxy Force

C64-Starglider,Head Over Heels

SNES-EquinoxHyperzone

Genesis-Air Diver

GBA-Doom, Doom II, Scurge: Hive

PSX-Descent, Disruptor, Forsaken

Saturn-Sega Ages: Galaxy Force II

That is all you have to look at, and have a nice day!

Jon1

Postby Jon1 » December 29th, 2013, 2:06 pm

This is a great topic. A great thing about this site is that there are still some good/great games that the VGC has yet to review. There are also still a bunch of rarities that haven't been reviewed yet, although unfortunately a lot of them are expensive. I've always been intrigued by the Jaguar game Zero-5. It was released in 1996 right after the Jag got discontinued and was one of its last games. The reviews I've read are all over the map. Some say its one of the best game on the system, while others say it's just ok. Another Jag game, NBA Jam TE, is very highly regarded in the reviews I've read. Considering how weak the Jag's sports library is, it would be nice to see how good the game really is. 

chuckee71

Postby chuckee71 » December 29th, 2013, 4:56 pm

The VGC should know that both the GBA and GBC are backwards compatible with GB games.  The problem is, there is no b/w mode with a green tint (just a b/w mode, one of the several coloring modes for the GB games).  I just played an obscure GB game called Altered Space: A 3D Alien Adventure.  This game plays like Solstice for the NES except it's more of a platformer: an astronaut named Humphrey must escape a large spaceship and also collect oxygen to survive.  The level design is not as good as Solstice (and some puzzles are a mess), but still a cute isometric platformer.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » January 1st, 2014, 3:29 pm

I think I already own one or two of these, but will do my best to track down the rest and review them over time.

Thanks for the feedback - I didn't realize the Galaxy Force games I was missing.

Leo1

Postby Leo1 » January 1st, 2014, 4:29 pm

[QUOTE=chuckee7]Saturn-Sega Ages: Galaxy Force II[/QUOTE]

The PS2 Sega Ages 2500 release is actually the way to go for this one assuming one has a import setup for the PS2. It's a silky smooth 60 fps where as the old Saturn port is just 30 with regular dips. It also has an optional enhanced mode which improves upon the graphics. 

That one was just ported to the 3DS with further enhancements including a full 3D mode. But alas, it's a download exclusive although I'm crossing my fingers that Sega bundles all these 3D Classics releases someday for retail.  

Nice to see this game get some love after the horrible home translations it suffered from back in the day on systems like the Genesis. 

darkrage61

Postby darkrage61 » January 1st, 2014, 7:04 pm

One Genesis game you have to review is Thunder Force IV, easily one of the best 16-bit shooters out there. 

PSX1

Postby PSX1 » January 2nd, 2014, 12:33 am

Topics like this pop up pretty regularly, so I'm sure it must be impossible to get to try all the recommendations you receive.  But if you ever get the chance Critic, I've been hoping for years to see you give a review of "North and South" for the NES.  I feel like it's a game far too few people have heard of, as it seems to have completely flown under the radar of NES owners.  Personally, I think it's a hidden gem, worthy of at least a B-range grade, and I feel like if more people had tried it it may have attained cult classic status, along the lines of other NES games like Super Dodge Ball.  The game is set in the US Civil War, but it makes no attempt to be historically accurate (in fact, it makes no attempt to be serious at all, it tries to be more of a lighthearted and humorous game).  The game is unlike any other game I've played and impossible to classify in one genre.  Mostly, it is part strategy game, part action.  One player plays as the North, the other as the South, and the goal is to capture the other players territories until one side has all the territories and wins the war.  But it's not like an RTS game; instead, when you try to capture a territory you enter into a head-to-head battle.  And there are also opportunities to carry out robberies of your opponents trains and capture of their forts (while one player tries to carry out the robbery/capture, the other defends against it).  The games aren't long -- an easy game could be over in 15 minutes; while a game with two skilled opponents could last an hour or so.  It has it's flaws but they don't prevent it from being a lot of fun.  It's especially good with two players.  The game is more fun than this video makes it seem, but I've posted it because it's a hard game to describe with words alone:

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MSuVObFusDU[/video]

Sut1

Postby Sut1 » January 2nd, 2014, 7:26 am

North and South is a brilliant game, I have this on my Atari ST so it's probably better looking than the NES title but if it plays the same, then I'm in total agreement definitely and underrated gem.

Greisha1

Postby Greisha1 » January 2nd, 2014, 12:55 pm

North and South is awesome. I bought it thinking it would be akin to Romance of the Three Kingdoms, but it's a fast and squirrelly game. (Kinda like an interactive board game.)

PSX1

Postby PSX1 » January 2nd, 2014, 3:39 pm

Glad to hear I'm not alone on North and South.  I haven't seen many people who have heard of it, let alone played it.  And Sut, I actually didn't even realize it was originally a computer game, thanks for pointing that out.  I just looked it up on wikipedia, and I guess that it was released for a number of computers, but the NES was the only console that it was ported to.  I also watched a video of the computer version on youtube -- not sure which of the computers it was from, but yes you are right, it definitely was better looking than the NES game.  But from what I saw, they appeared to play identically. 

I think what made N&S stand out for me is that it's so one-of-a-kind -- if someone asked me "what game is it like?", I couldn't name another comparable game, past or present.  I always like that quality in older games.  The sidescrolling portions (train robbery/fort capture) are definitely average at best (and often annoyed me), but I think the rest of the game is gold.

Return to “Classic Gaming”