Most Reliable/Durable NTSC Dreamcast Revision?

Reserved for classic gaming discussions.
bronZfonZ1

Postby bronZfonZ1 » July 21st, 2014, 6:10 am

I just re-acquired a Dreamcast after 13 years, and I've read about the lens laser issues and the recommendation of having backup DCs.  The DC I just picked up is a Revision 1, and I've had no hardware issues so far. 

I've read on a GameFAQs thread that one should avoid getting a Revision 2 DC, while one poster on this forum recommended getting only the Revision 2 DC.  I've also read that the Revision 0 (the original) DC was the only version with a metal cooling fan -- among other parts metal -- while the other two versions had plastic cooling fans.

So, which Dreamcast Revision models do you guys own, and had that model given you any hardware issues?  I'm also curious what revision is the black, Sports Edition Dreamcast.  (BTW, the revision number is found in a circle on the bottom right hand corner of the big sticker on the underside of the console.)

ptdebate1

Postby ptdebate1 » July 21st, 2014, 11:41 am

[QUOTE=bronZfonZ]I just re-acquired a Dreamcast after 13 years, and I've read about the lens laser issues and the recommendation of having backup DCs.  The DC I just picked up is a Revision 1, and I've had no hardware issues so far. 

I've read on a GameFAQs thread that one should avoid getting a Revision 2 DC, while one poster on this forum recommended getting only the Revision 2 DC.  I've also read that the Revision 0 (the original) DC was the only version with a metal cooling fan -- among other parts metal -- while the other two versions had plastic cooling fans.

So, which Dreamcast Revision models do you guys own, and had that model given you any hardware issues?  I'm also curious what revision is the black, Sports Edition Dreamcast.  (BTW, the revision number is found in a circle on the bottom right hand corner of the big sticker on the underside of the console.)[/QUOTE]

Rev 0 is the best. It's the one I used to own. I used to have laser issues with my Sega Sports edition all the time, but the launch DC chugged away for a solid 14 years until I sold it.

ActRaiser1

Postby ActRaiser1 » July 21st, 2014, 6:20 pm

Hmm, that makes sense.  I've had a launch DC and never once had a problem with it.  I've always heard the DC was unreliable but so far in my experience that hasn't been the case.  That explains it though.  Cool info.

Rev1

Postby Rev1 » July 21st, 2014, 9:02 pm

I guess it really depends on how much you play your dreamcast because I have 2 backups and have never had one break on me (yet...).

Return to “Classic Gaming”