NFL Blitz (N64)

Reserved for classic gaming discussions.
jon

NFL Blitz (N64)

Postby jon » April 24th, 2015, 6:35 pm

I saw yesterday that one of the lowest rated N64 games is NFL Blitz Special Edition. I always loved the original NFL Blitz for the N64. It's got great arcade like gameplay. It's funny too because it was made the year Peyton Manning and Ryan Leaf got drafted. And they made Ryan Leaf ridiculously good, I think better than Manning. The Chargers ended up being a really good team even though Ryan Leaf ended up being one of the biggest busts ever.

LoganRuckman

Re: NFL Blitz (N64)

Postby LoganRuckman » April 26th, 2015, 6:34 am

Yeah, this game is good times. And I don't even like football games, or real football, for that matter. But this game was just crazy enough to be fun. The "spiritual successor," Blitz The League and it's sequel were pretty fun, especially the gruesome injuries, but this game still trumps them. I just wish EA didn't have such a monopoly on football games, I'd love to see a new game.

Rev

Postby Rev » April 26th, 2015, 9:52 am

I have a lot of found memories of the Blitz game on the PS1. I have never played the N64 version. I remember that I didn't have a memory card large enough to save my data on competition mode because it took so many save blocks, so I had to to play through the entire 3-4 hour season in one session. The Blitz series is a ton of fun and really feels like the NBA Jam of football games- pure arcade action. The overdone violence was probably my favorite part of the series; watching 4-5 football players dog piling on top of a player who is already down and out was extremely satisfying.

jon

Postby jon » April 26th, 2015, 10:55 am

I've only played the N64 version, but I've heard the N64 version looks better, which is hardly shocking considering how ugly the PS1's graphics can be. Add in no load times and how poor the PS1 has aged, and I'd think this is probably the best version. Also, it fills a void in the N64 library.

Luigi & Peach

Postby Luigi & Peach » August 26th, 2015, 6:36 pm

I remember this game being played on the PS1 a lot in my dorm for bragging rights freshman year (along with Goldeneye and Mortal Kombat 4). Maybe it was my ignorance at the time or just bad memory, but I don't recall thinking the game had lag issues. I do remember the game being very fun and conveniently fast-paced. My biggest issue was that the Browns were excluded because they'd been ruthlessly stolen by Baltimore (that's right, I'm calling out your team VGC). A great game though otherwise. Not sure how it's survived the test of time though.

jon

Postby jon » August 26th, 2015, 10:38 pm

The PS1, I mean if there's a choice to play a game on a PS1 or another system, at this point one should take that other system, in this case the N64, for NFL Blitz. I've never played the PS1 edition, but cmon. That system just looks worse and worse every year. It's the system that's aged the worst. Far worse than any other system I can recall. In fact, most just get better as time goes by, not the PS1. On to the N64, this game really fills a void in an otherwise putrid football library, and bitterly disappointing overall sports library. In hindsight, there's a good dozen or so real winners in the N64 library. Of course I still remember the horrors of being an N64 owner in the late 90s when they put out like 5 games a year, a lot of them kiddie games and almost everything was terrible.

Return to “Classic Gaming”