Kickman

Reserved for classic gaming discussions.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Kickman

Postby VideoGameCritic » July 30th, 2015, 5:28 pm

Most of the old arcade games I remember as a kid eventually arrived on consoles in one form or another. However, one game that I really enjoyed never found it way to any console, and that's Kickman.

It's a game where you catch balloon and periodically turn into a Pac-man to gobble up the balloons that have piled up. Can't say if it's aged well or not. Used to employ a track ball.

Not only have I not seen it for any console, but I don't think anyone has attempted a homebrew using the same formula. That's too bad.

The C64 Critic has provided me with a review of the C64 version which I will be posting soon. If anybody knows of any other Kickman versions (or clones) please let me know.

VGC

Atariboy

Re: Kickman

Postby Atariboy » July 31st, 2015, 3:01 pm

I don't know if it got a cartridge release, but there's a nice clone on the Atari 8 bits called Pinhead. I've emulated it a few times over the years and thought it played nice. If you ever bought and figured out that AtariMax multicart that you've posted asking about a few years back, you could probably load it up on your XEGS even if it was a disk or tape release.

Too bad that the early revision without Pac-Man that was titled simply as Kick never made the cut for any of the Midway compilations. Perhaps for the best I suppose, since it used a roller for control and probably would've suffered pretty badly with a modern console controller.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Re: Kickman

Postby VideoGameCritic » July 31st, 2015, 4:45 pm

Atariboy,
Thank you so much for this information! Pinhead does look like a close approximation.
I will check it out!

Return to “Classic Gaming”