No Love for Alone in the Dark?

Reserved for classic gaming discussions.
Rookie1

No Love for Alone in the Dark?

Postby Rookie1 » August 25th, 2015, 5:50 pm

Started playing Alone in the Dark (3DO) the other night, what an exceptional game for its time. Im trying to be unbiased with it, and play it strictly from a 90's POV, it I cant imagine what people thought back then. Fully rendered backgrounds with 3D polygon graphics? Must have blown people's minds!

Anyways, its not a bad game at all. The pacing is slow, yes, but considering when it came out I am pretty happy with it. I never knew how much of an inspiration this game was to RE.

Pretty happy with it overall.

The VGC gave it a D. Anyone love it/hate it?

scotland

Re: No Love for Alone in the Dark?

Postby scotland » August 25th, 2015, 6:06 pm

http://videogamecritic.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=202512&t=13326

We had a Best of the 90s list going and I got the game on GOG for PC to try it. I wanted to like it and put in some time on several sessions, but the controls and gameplay mechanics were too steep a climb and I moved on. I have several others in the series left totally unplayed.

Glad it has a defender, but for me being unfun to play (not unplayable just so cumbersome as reduce the fun to nil) I would agree with the D.

Shapur

Postby Shapur » August 25th, 2015, 9:38 pm

Rookie1 wrote:Started playing Alone in the Dark (3DO) the other night, what an exceptional game for its time. Im trying to be unbiased with it, and play it strictly from a 90's POV, it I cant imagine what people thought back then. Fully rendered backgrounds with 3D polygon graphics? Must have blown people's minds!

Anyways, its not a bad game at all. The pacing is slow, yes, but considering when it came out I am pretty happy with it. I never knew how much of an inspiration this game was to RE.

Pretty happy with it overall.

The VGC gave it a D. Anyone love it/hate it?

I haven't played the original in years but as a kid not really understanding what the big deal about polygons were I thought the game was ugly as sin. Obviously I get the technical merits of it now, but back then all I could think was how much better PC adventure games looked than these new weird blocky games everyone was psyched about.

Rookie1

Postby Rookie1 » August 27th, 2015, 8:41 am

Shapur wrote:
I haven't played the original in years but as a kid not really understanding what the big deal about polygons were I thought the game was ugly as sin. Obviously I get the technical merits of it now, but back then all I could think was how much better PC adventure games looked than these new weird blocky games everyone was psyched about.

I was blown away at FMV as kid. And even more blown away by polygon graphics. When SNES and Sega started putting out polygon games I was so excited. I imagine I would have been amazed by this game when it came out, considering I didn't have a computer or access to anything comparable.

Adamcomputer

Postby Adamcomputer » August 28th, 2015, 6:24 pm

I really loved the game. It was one of the first games I played for the 3DO. I rented it and I became frustrated with the controls and gave up on it. I can't remember if I rented it again or bought it but this time I really got into the game. I beat the game twice as Edward Carnby but I don't think I've beaten the game as the female.
I remember being really impressed with the graphics. I never played a game where you were in a 3-D world. Anyway, it's still one of my favorite games and I plan on playing it again around Halloween.
P.S. I think Alone in the Dark 2 was better on the Sega Saturn than on the 3DO. Its not titled AITD 2, it's AITD Jack's Revenge. The game seemed to control better on the Saturn and have less slowdown.
Adamcomputer

Rookie1

Postby Rookie1 » August 29th, 2015, 8:29 am

Adamcomputer wrote:I really loved the game. It was one of the first games I played for the 3DO. I rented it and I became frustrated with the controls and gave up on it. I can't remember if I rented it again or bought it but this time I really got into the game. I beat the game twice as Edward Carnby but I don't think I've beaten the game as the female.
I remember being really impressed with the graphics. I never played a game where you were in a 3-D world. Anyway, it's still one of my favorite games and I plan on playing it again around Halloween.
P.S. I think Alone in the Dark 2 was better on the Sega Saturn than on the 3DO. Its not titled AITD 2, it's AITD Jack's Revenge. The game seemed to control better on the Saturn and have less slowdown.
Adamcomputer

The controls took a little getting used to, but I can cycle through them pretty easily now. Seems like they could have mapped them out a little better, utilizing the shoulder buttons, but its not a big deal.

CaptainCruch

Postby CaptainCruch » September 1st, 2015, 5:22 pm

I loved the game back in the days, played it a lot on my Macintosh. I especially like the atmospheric music and creepy audio. However, I don't think the game has aged very well.

Rookie1

Postby Rookie1 » September 2nd, 2015, 6:53 am

CaptainCruch wrote:I loved the game back in the days, played it a lot on my Macintosh. I especially like the atmospheric music and creepy audio. However, I don't think the game has aged very well.

When I play these games I try not to compare them to anything else. I find that very few games like this have aged well unless they are the games that actually defined the genre.

On a related note, I just discovered a 3DO game called Doctor Hauzer that seemed to further bridge the gap between AITD and RE. Im going to need to pick that up, but it looks like only a japanese version was made.

scotland

Postby scotland » September 2nd, 2015, 10:35 am

Rookie1 wrote: When I play these games I try not to compare them to anything else. I find that very few games like this have aged well unless they are the games that actually defined the genre

Comparing graphics or complexity or other functions of technology may not be fair, but criticising game controls is. The PC version had even at the time had frustrating and crude controls.

Adamcomputer

Postby Adamcomputer » September 2nd, 2015, 6:01 pm

Rookie 1,
I have seen video of Doctor Hauzer on Youtube. It looks like a slower version of AITD. I was interested in it but it being Japanese I didn't know if it was worth the expense and being in Japanese seems like it would be tough to play. I haven't played much 3DO since the spring but these post make me want to hook it up and play Need for Speed or Road Rash again.
Ah, what memories, what memories! :D

Return to “Classic Gaming”