Caution about Reproductions

Reserved for classic gaming discussions.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Re: Caution about Reproductions

Postby VideoGameCritic » October 2nd, 2015, 2:32 pm

Thanks for the 32X offer Wally but I already got a new one, so I'm back in business.
I still plan to review the repos (via a Game Genie) and appreciate you recommending them.
I think the odds of a repro damaging a system is low, but people should at least be aware of the risks.

Atariboy

Postby Atariboy » October 2nd, 2015, 8:05 pm

Stuff like this is frankly why gamers would be wise to invest in an Everdrive for their Genesis instead of bothering with reproductions.

The Everdrive maker's work isn't sloppy (No out of spec cartridge boards here), they're extremely intuitive to add games to and use, and they offer a lot of neat capabilities such as how the various Genesis options include 32X and SMS rom support.

You'd of made the expensive world of homebrews, prototypes, translations, imports, overly expensive classics, and such open to you on genuine Genesis hardware with a single purchase. It's expensive on the surface since none of us are particularly used to $78+ purchases for our classic systems, but it's such a bargain in the long-run.
Last edited by Atariboy on October 4th, 2015, 8:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wallyworld

Postby Wallyworld » October 2nd, 2015, 10:21 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote:Thanks for the 32X offer Wally but I already got a new one, so I'm back in business.
I still plan to review the repos (via a Game Genie) and appreciate you recommending them.
I think the odds of a repro damaging a system is low, but people should at least be aware of the risks.

Looking forward to your reviews! I think both the games you bought are real gems.

Wallyworld

Postby Wallyworld » October 5th, 2015, 7:22 pm

A little more info on these repros I wanted to share. Today I received the retron 5 I ordered. I tested all my repros on it and had no issues. They fit in the cartridge slot and boot up fine. It's also cool that I finally got to finally play my famicom games I've had for years. My famicom 60 in 1 cart didn't work though.

UPDATE:

I've changed my mind about using repros with the retron 5. Do not attempt to use them with the retron 5. They do work with it but the cart slot on it feels flimsy and tight. Pulling a cart out I thought I broke it. It's didn't break but still I won't do it again. I tried using the game genie with it and it has the same problem as the repros it gets stuck in the cart slot. Only use OEM carts with the retron 5 is my best advice and no game genie.

Rookie1

Postby Rookie1 » October 5th, 2015, 10:51 pm

Wallyworld wrote:A little more info on these repros I wanted to share. Today I received the retron 5 I ordered. I tested all my repros on it and had no issues. They fit in the cartridge slot and boot up fine. It's also cool that I finally got to finally play my famicom games I've had for years. My famicom 60 in 1 cart didn't work though.

UPDATE:

I've changed my mind about using repros with the retron 5. Do not attempt to use them with the retron 5. They do work with it but the cart slot on it feels flimsy and tight. Pulling a cart out I thought I broke it. It's didn't break but still I won't do it again. I tried using the game genie with it and it has the same problem as the repros it gets stuck in the cart slot. Only use OEM carts with the retron 5 is my best advice and no game genie.

The retron 5 is extremely tight. Im not sure why they made it like that? I struggle with getting games out even using their suggested method. I feel like I am going to crack the system in half every time.

Return to “Classic Gaming”