What game system's lack of sucess shocked you?

Reserved for classic gaming discussions.
scotland

Re: What game system's lack of sucess shocked you?

Postby scotland » December 10th, 2015, 7:46 am

Add in that the Game Gear could play Sega Master System games with a pin adapter.

ThePixelatedGenocide

Postby ThePixelatedGenocide » December 11th, 2015, 12:57 pm

I loved my Game Gear, but since it drank batteries like they were cans of beer at a frathouse party, you were forced to keep it plugged in. Too often, it was like playing a Sega Genesis Megadrive... with bonus sprite flicker, frame skips, and sub-NES sound, inside a soup of blurred pixels.

Great to have in the hospital, though. Columns, Streets of Rage I&2, Fatal Fury Special, Samurai Shodown, Road Rash, MK 2, the Sonic series...

So many memories. Especially since this all took place during a time when the Gameboy was the most popular portable system, and Tiger LCD was everywhere. Between this and the Nomad, which really was a Sega Genesis Megadrive hidden behind a soup of blurred pixels, it felt like looking into the future.

Or, at least, like looking into 2003, when the GBA SP was released.

SigSauerLover

Postby SigSauerLover » January 3rd, 2016, 7:19 pm

To be fair, I'd have to give my vote for a system that lacked success to the Master System. Sure, there was a monopoly, and that's likely why it failed, but damn could the Master System have thrived! The visuals were actually comparable to early Genesis titles. Multiplatform games between the NES and Master System clearly show the Master System edge. Rampage is far better on the NES due to graphics and gameplay, nearly arcade perfect. Shinobi was far better on the Master System as well. Most European games that never landed on the NA Master System that were multiplats also thrived better on the MS.

Had the monopoly not existed, I'm certain the MS would have been almost as successful.

Shapur

Postby Shapur » January 4th, 2016, 1:43 am

SigSauerLover wrote:Had the monopoly not existed, I'm certain the MS would have been almost as successful.

Some good evidence to back up your claim comes from our irmãos in Brazil, and across the pond where the SMS was more successful.

BlasteroidAli

Postby BlasteroidAli » January 13th, 2016, 2:10 pm

The Wii U. I would have thought that is would have sold more. So far it is a miserable seller and that is with the Critics ringing endorsement.
My local shop had 7 wii u titles to buy. Just 7. I hear sales of it are at the 11 million mark. Way below that of the wii, makes you wonder where all the nintendo fans gave gone.

I see people trying to sell those fitness boards that used to be the most own item and now they cannot give them away.

BlasteroidAli

Postby BlasteroidAli » January 14th, 2016, 4:55 pm

BlasteroidAli wrote:The Wii U. I would have thought that is would have sold more. So far it is a miserable seller and that is with the Critics ringing endorsement.
My local shop had 7 wii u titles to buy. Just 7. I hear sales of it are at the 11 million mark. Way below that of the wii, makes you wonder where all the nintendo fans gave gone.

I see people trying to sell those fitness boards that used to be the most own item and now they cannot give them away.

Also for me I do not think that Nintendo have believed in the system enough. I would have thought by this time they could have made up dates to the ssd. I would have thought they could have put in 64gb to the main one and 32 to the basic one. Maybe that is just me plus brought the price down a bit. The basic 8gb one had it's price discounted by the main one has remained at the £239/$300 mark in the UK. That pricing system means it is in the same price bracket as the ps4 (the elephant in the room) and the xbone.
For me I am still amazed by it's lack of success. My friend's boy has one and he plays it.

Oh for everyone saying Master system. It was HUGE in the UK. It was a big success.

Return to “Classic Gaming”