I just bought a Saturn and Dreamcast, advice?

Reserved for classic gaming discussions.
matmico399

I just bought a Saturn and Dreamcast, advice?

Postby matmico399 » January 9th, 2016, 7:38 pm

I got the two for around a $100 on Ebay. And against the VGC's advice I also bought Quarterback Attack. I'm sure it's a lousy game but I luv football and have a fondness for FMV games from my Sega CD years about two decades back.

Okay for the Saturn I plan on buying Virtua Cop 2 and one of the Panzer Dragoon games. Does anyone know where I can buy a cheap light gun for the Saturn? All the ones I have seen are quite expensive except for those sent from Japan, and I am leery of that. Also what other games would you all suggest?

I am into action, suspense, survival horror and mysteries. I luv sports as well but can get far better ones on my 360. Platformers are okay. Not into RPGS or fighting games much except for brawlers like SOR2. One on one not so much.

For The Dreamcast I have only bought Crazy Taxi. Gamers what are you suggestions for Dreamcast games? Already looking at Looney Tunes Space Race and Star Wars Jedi Power Battles.

Rev

Re: I just bought a Saturn and Dreamcast, advice?

Postby Rev » January 9th, 2016, 10:22 pm

For a Saturn, if you want to shell out less money, I'd recommend getting an Action Replay Ram Cart so you can play import games on your Saturn. This would save you quite a bit of money by allowing you to get imports of U.S. games which are more affordable (although they are going up as well). For the Saturn there are all the classics like Nights into Dreams, Shining Force, etc. I would recommend getting the 2D games over 3D games as the Saturn is a 2D powerhouse and those games have aged much better than the 3D games. I would recommend getting a Saturn 2 controller if yours came with the standard one, much more comfortable and often thrown on "best controllers" lists. The Saturn is one of the most expensive consoles to buy for so you have a few options to save money - buy discs instead of complete copies (I don't do this but if you don't care this is a cheaper option), get your Saturn modded to play burnable discs (excellent option and also allows you to play imports without the Action Reply), fork out a lot of cash for the good games. Since you got the Saturn, I highly recommend finding some way to import as the U.S. games are missing a lot of the best games.

Gentlegamer

Postby Gentlegamer » January 9th, 2016, 10:36 pm

Get Dreamcast games while they're still cheap.

Saturn has been collectarded so you'll need to be able to play burns.

Rev

Postby Rev » January 9th, 2016, 11:28 pm

Gentlegamer wrote:Get Dreamcast games while they're still cheap.

Saturn has been collectarded so you'll need to be able to play burns.

I don't think the DC will ever be as expensive as the Saturn for a variety of reason- 1. Saturn games are hard to find complete due to fragile cases, which are often broken or severely worn down while DC games are much easier to find complete, 2. a lot of Saturn games were only ever released on the Saturn while many DC games have sequels or ports on other consoles, 3. the Saturn sold worse than the DC and had many more games with smaller print runs, 4. #2 x 1000.

The dreamcast games have risen quite a bit compared to the early 2000's, where you could find a ton of games really cheap. However, they are likely to not be as "collectarded" as the Saturn, but still quite expensive. Being Sega's last console, a common system for homebrews, and still not selling that well will probably keep prices up but I don't think it'll ever be as bad as the Saturn. Collecting for the Saturn requires pulling out a second mortgage on your house...

Shapur

Postby Shapur » January 10th, 2016, 3:25 am

Just get the Sega Smash Pack for the Dreamcast. It has a Virtua Cop 2, that is if you find the DC guns easier to track down.

If you only get one Panzer Dragoon game go for Zwei II, but they are both worth it imo.

Rookie1

Postby Rookie1 » January 10th, 2016, 8:57 am

Unless you have the extra cash, burning your own ISO's is the way to go. I picked up a 3DO over the summer and was shocked at some of the game prices. For something that most people dont know about, and most of the games suck butt, they sure fetch a premium even for loose discs.

I have since burned 20 or so games and made custom cases for them. I usually want the actual games, but as most of these games arent very good, I am ok with this method.

Rev

Postby Rev » January 10th, 2016, 9:51 am

The Saturn is known for it's shmups and fighters so games that would fit your criteria on the Saturn include:

(these are ones I own, I'm still missing a few titles here and there that I'd want to add to my collection):
1. Akumajo Dracula X (Import)- inferior to the ps1 version however you get an extra character (Maria) who plays completely different than the PSP port.
3. Astal- one of the cheaper (although not so much anymore) Saturn titles. 2D platformers.
5. Batsugun (Import)- If you like shmups this is one of the better Saturn titles.
6. Battle Garegga (Import)- On the more expensive side of things, excellent shmup.
7. Blazing Heroes- Action Game, under $100 last time I checked.
17. D- This is one of your very few options for survival/horror on the Saturn. I didn't like this one but you might. One of the cheaper Saturn games.
18. Darius Gaiden- Solid horizontal shmup.
19. Dark Savior- Action/RPG, spiritual sequel to Lodestar or something.
21. Daytona USA Championship Circuit Edition- cheaper end of games, fun racing game. One of the better racers on the Saturn.
22. Deep Fear (PAL Import)- Super expensive but probably the best original horror title on the Saturn. The PAL is in english, Japanese is not, however I believe the Japanese has some english here and there.
24. Die Hard Arcade- One of the better 3D brawelers on the Saturn (probably the most well known).
27. Duke Nukem 3D- FPS, probably the best FPS on the Saturn.
28. Dungeon & Dragons Collection (Import)- excellent beat 'em up on the Saturn, although all the menus are in Japanese so that sucks. You can download this on your newer consoles though, in english.
29. Earthworm Jim 2- best port of the game, minus load times.
30. Elevator Action Returns (Import)- expensive as heck now. Awesome sequel to the original.
31. Enemy Zero- another of the few survival horror titles on the Saturn. Dave's review I felt was too harsh. Saturn exclusive, in English. Probably best English survival horror title exclusive.
36. Grid Runner- Action title, more affordable on PS1.
37. Guardian Heroes- super expensive, best beat em up on the Saturn released in the U.S.
38. Herc's Adventures- Basically a Zelda like title. Cheaper on the PS1.
39. House of the Dead, The- light gun game, bad port, very expensive.
40. Hyper Duel- Super expensive, but very good, shmup on the saturn. $300+.
41. In the Hunt- Metal Slug in the Water, cheaper on the PS1.
48. Legend of Oasis, The- Sequel of Beyond Oasis on the Genesis. Excellent title, more affordable compared to other games on the system. Saturn exclusive.
49. Magic Carpet- Okay game, Saturn exclusive.
50. Magic Knight Rayearth- Very expensive, 2D, overhead, action/rpg title.
54. Mega Man 8: Anniversary Collector's Edition- Best version of the game, super expensive.
55. Mega Man X4- best version of the game, saturn exclusive, expensive.
56. Mr. Bones- excellent game, Saturn exclusive. Reasonable price.
58. Nights Into Dreams- Used to be a cheaper Saturn title, has gone up. Saturn Exclusive.
59. Pandemonium! - 2.5D platformers, also on PSX with sequel.
60. Panzer Dragoon - good game, probably stick with the sequel though, unless you gotta have both.
61. Panzer Dragoon II: Zwei- excellent game. Reasonably priced. Both Saturn exclusives.
64. Powerslave- Top 3 FPS on the Saturn.
65. Princess Crown (Import)- Fan translation in the works, excellent title. Currently need a guide to play though. Saturn exclusive.
66. Quake- Top 3 FPS on the Saturn.
67. Radiant Silvergun (Import)- crown jewel of Saturn shmups. Very expensive, although not as bad as the more obscure titles.
69. Resident Evil- one of the best survival horror titles on the Saturn, reasonably priced, more content than PS1 title, worst graphics.
70. Salamander Deluxe Pack Plus (Import)- A triple pack of shmups. Solid games. Lifeforce on NES. Expensive.
72. Saturn Bomberman- Best bomberman title, expensive. Saturn exclusive.
73. Sega Rally Championship- Another good racer released in the U.S. Saturn Exclusive, sequel on DC.
79. Shining Wisdom- Zelda like game, Genesis quality graphics. Very expensive.
80. Shinobi Legions- Overlooked action game on the console. High end of reasonably priced games.
82. Silhouette Mirage (Import)- Excellent title, better than the port on the PS1.
83. Sonic 3D Blast- best version of this game, lonnnnnnggggg loading times. Reasonably priced.
84. Sonic Jam- Saturn exclusive, excellent ports of the original titles Sonic 1-3+Knuckles.
85. Sonic R- Sucks... Saturn Exclusive racer. Reasonably priced.
87. Steep Slope Sliders- Only option for a Snowboarding game on the Saturn. It's okay, Coolboarders on PS1 is better
91. Tempest 2000- Reasonably priced port of the Jaguar game Tempest 2000.
92. Tetris Plus- It's tetris.
93. Three Dirty Dwarves- Beat 'em up, excellent, much better than Dave's opinion on the game. Higher end of reasonable.
96. Tomb Raider- Tomb Raider, cheaper on the PS1. Low end of reasonably priced.
98. Virtua Cop- good game. Cheap.
99. Virtua Fighter 2- good game, reasonably priced.
100. Virtual On: Cyber Troopers- Mech combat, it's okay, Saturn exclusive. Reasonable.
102. Winter Heat- Excellent winter sports game. Reasonable priced.
103. Wipeout- PS1 port is cheaper and probably better.
104. Worms- PS1 has ports as well, fun party games.

-That should be a lot of the bigger titles for the console. My Saturn collection is fairly decent sized. I omitted fighters completely from the list, I tried to stick with the more well known, better, shmups since I wasn't sure on your opinion. Removed RPG's and SRPGs completely.

Sut

Postby Sut » January 10th, 2016, 10:27 am

Great list Rev ! I love the Saturn, only games I would add is Manx TT especially if you like Sega arcade racers and Athlete Kings which is a fun arcade sports title.

Shapur

Postby Shapur » January 10th, 2016, 4:30 pm

matmico399 wrote:For The Dreamcast I have only bought Crazy Taxi. Gamers what are you suggestions for Dreamcast games? Already looking at Looney Tunes Space Race and Star Wars Jedi Power Battles.

Shenmue! Just kidding, it is not for everyone but I love both of them especially 2. Very slooooooow games.

For survival horror:
Blue Stinger and Carrier - Not super well thought of
Resident Evil Code Veronica - Reasonably priced, and I quite liked it
Resident Evil 2 and 3 - Much more expensive than the PS1 versions
Alone in the Dark New Nightmare - haven't finished it yet but it's alright so far
D2

Even if you don't like one on one fighter I'm still recommending Power Stone 2. Best as a 4 player fighter, and has a fun pick up and play style many of the complicated 1 on 1's are lacking.

Dynamite Cop - beat'em up
Zombie Revenge - beat''em up
Sword of the Berserk - beat'em up with great graphics and one of my favorites

Jet Grind Radio - cel shaded skate boarding action game. Not perfect but a must have for a DC collection. Very cheap.

I still say get the light guns for the DC
Virtua Cop 2 (via Sega Smashpack)
House of the Dead 2 - Best lightgun game evah! And waaaaaaaaaaaaay cheaper than House of the Dead 1
Confidential Mission - Bought, haven't played it yet but VGC gave it C+

On the Saturn:
I'd only recommend Tomb Raider as a collectors item. The PS1 version is both cheaper and better. That game is ugly on the Saturn.
Dracula X/Symphony of the Night looks a bit better on the PS1 but I'd say the extra stuff makes the Saturn version worth it. Well worth it if you've got like an extra 50-60 bucks, so maybe not.

matmico399

Postby matmico399 » January 10th, 2016, 6:08 pm

Wow guys/gals thanks for all the advice! I'm actually going to print out this whole email so I can have it with me when I go to my retro stores and look on Ebay.

Man I have read every one of Dave's console reviews but I overlooked the Saturn console review when I purchased it. Good gracious Saturn games are expensive! If I had I may have reconsidered, but oh well I will see what I can get. I just started becoming a retro collector about 18 months back. It is fun and exciting but I obv have a lot to learn. But all the info has been so helpful!

A special thanks to Rev for the amount of time and energy he wrote on a long game list I will investigate title by title. I now know. And to Shapur for his advice on the DC Smash Pack. It seems like a great value and DC light guns are a heck of a lot cheaper than Saturn ones! I can't wait for these to arrive!

Return to “Classic Gaming”