Magnavox CD-i

Reserved for classic gaming discussions.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Magnavox CD-i

Postby VideoGameCritic » January 19th, 2016, 11:15 pm

I just noticed that my "Philips" CD-i player says "Magnavox" on the front! In 15 years I never noticed.
This begs the question, should I change its name on my site to just "CD-i"?

Shapur

Re: Magnavox CD-i

Postby Shapur » January 20th, 2016, 12:27 am

I don't think so. It was still Phillips system. Magnavox was just another manufacturer of it.

After all it is still the Sega Genesis even though JVC and a couple of others made some compatible models.

scotland

Postby scotland » January 20th, 2016, 8:26 am

I believe Philips bought the Magnavox consumer electronics division in the mid 1970s. The original Odyssey was all Magnavox. Most or all of the pong Odyssey machines, like the Odyssey 100, were probably made after the acquisition by Philips. By the Odyssey 2 it was clearly a Philips product. In Europe, the Odyssey 2 was called the Philips Videopac. In the US, they kept the Magnavox brand. In Europe, Philips has sometimes used the Magnavox name when it suited them. Sometimes they even use Philips Magnavox. So no difference, its still a Philips even if called Magnavox. A rose by any other name.

Retro STrife

Postby Retro STrife » January 21st, 2016, 1:51 am

I'd agree with sticking with "Philips CD-i" because that's how it is colloquially known among gamers, even if certain models are labeled as Magnavox (which is just a subsidiary of Philips anyway). Most reference sources, such as Winnie Forster's Encyclopedia of Game Machines and the Digital Press Collector's Guide, refer to it as Philips CD-i as well, so it's a safe bet. In that sense, the CD-i situation is different than, say, 3DO.

But I recently had this same thing happen to me too, Critic. My CD-i is currently in storage, so I can't say for sure, but I have a feeling it's a Magnavox model. But, like you, I always thought of it as having the Philips name on it. Then, a few months back, someone posted a question on these forums asking which CD-i model to get. I own the CD-i 550, and recommended that one, because I like its appearance and its controller. But, as I was searching for a photo to post, I was suddenly noticing that every 550 model that I came across had the Magnavox name on it. I was really surprised, and now I'm betting mine is the Magnavox model too.

According to Wikipedia, Philips used the Magnavox name on certain electronics in the 80s and 90s in the US because it has better name recognition here. If so, maybe that's the explanation for the Magnavox versions of the CD-i.

Return to “Classic Gaming”