question about the nes

Reserved for classic gaming discussions.
mbd36

Re: question about the nes

Postby mbd36 » February 1st, 2016, 7:02 pm

SigSauerLover wrote:The toploader IMO is a pretty lame console. I'm actually going to be writing about it this week over on Happy Katana. The jailbars and RF only, as well as the washed out look of games is really distracting. And the dog-bone controller isn't as comfortable. Not to mention, unless you can afford an ultra-rare adapter, the game genie won't work! Only thing I could see being worthwhile would be to AV mod the bastard and stuff it into a retron 1 case.

There are some issues, but the most important thing is that it's reliable. I care about the gameplay of NES games most of all. And the jailbars are more noticeable with some games than others.

No having to open it up and do a bunch of stupid repairs on the 72 pin connector, and then it still might not play. I don't regret buying mine for a second.

scotland

Postby scotland » February 1st, 2016, 8:11 pm

I replaced the pin connector after the blinking light issue. I remember it being a very easy fix. The toaster has worked just fine since.

Just like a first edition has merit, I think the side loader is 'the classic system' of perhaps the most celebrated console of them all. I will champion that original design.

Breaker

Postby Breaker » February 2nd, 2016, 10:38 pm

I bought a Retron 2 about 2 years ago, and while I don't play NES or SNES super frequently, it has worked beautifully for me. Plus the trusty yellow/red/white jacks made it a snap to route through my video selector and into my receiver for good 8- and 16-bit tunes. If I hadn't already had 2 Genesiseseseses, I probably would have gotten the Retron 3.

No, it's not the original hardware, but it fires up every time with clean video and good sound. No complaints from this guy.

imderfnz

Postby imderfnz » February 2nd, 2016, 11:55 pm

well i decided to get the real nes so its on its way to me.

snakeboy

Postby snakeboy » February 3rd, 2016, 10:25 pm

imderfnz wrote:yeah it costs too much for me to get the top loader nes and it cant play the game genie in the top loader one and what about the clone nes console the mascot edition one that plays the nes and snes games does it work good ?

If you have a Game Genie, here is a little trick that I used so that my toaster NES played games more reliably:

First, you clean the Game Genie really, really well to make sure you get a really good connection between it and the system so that games will start up on the first try. Insert the Game Genie into the system, and then just leave it there and never take it out. Just disconnect the game you've been playing and insert another, leaving the Game Genie where it is. Of course you will still want to make sure you keep your games clean, but they won't have to be absolutely spotless to insure they will work most of time like they would if they were plugged directly into the console.

I used this method for quite a while, and it worked really well for me.

Rev

Postby Rev » February 4th, 2016, 1:14 pm

snakeboy wrote:
imderfnz wrote:yeah it costs too much for me to get the top loader nes and it cant play the game genie in the top loader one and what about the clone nes console the mascot edition one that plays the nes and snes games does it work good ?

If you have a Game Genie, here is a little trick that I used so that my toaster NES played games more reliably:

First, you clean the Game Genie really, really well to make sure you get a really good connection between it and the system so that games will start up on the first try. Insert the Game Genie into the system, and then just leave it there and never take it out. Just disconnect the game you've been playing and insert another, leaving the Game Genie where it is. Of course you will still want to make sure you keep your games clean, but they won't have to be absolutely spotless to insure they will work most of time like they would if they were plugged directly into the console.

I used this method for quite a while, and it worked really well for me.

Actually that is really smart. Good idea!

Return to “Classic Gaming”