History of FPS article

Reserved for classic gaming discussions.
Luigi & Peach

History of FPS article

Postby Luigi & Peach » February 17th, 2016, 12:13 pm

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2016/02/h ... -shooters/

A really fascinating article that covers a lot of games over several decades.

scotland

Re: History of FPS article

Postby scotland » February 18th, 2016, 2:42 pm

Thanks for posting

Its a fun read. Innovations dont just materialize like Scotty telling you how to make transparent aluminum.

A few things jumped out at me. First, the FPS genre is still tangled up with anything from a first person view, like Star Raiders or Flight Simulator. The author briefly mentions and dismisses them, but you could just as easily be a flying guy as a plane. This also means he neglects mech games, which are still really too hard for a console controller. Another link are the dungeon crawlers, even if turn based or using static first person images are roots.

The comments debate whether FPS have to so violent to be successful. What do you think? Did Portal demonstrate that a FPS can be nonviolent and successful, or is that just a first person dungeon crawler again?

Luigi & Peach

Re: History of FPS article

Postby Luigi & Peach » March 14th, 2016, 5:37 pm

I've been pondering your question for awhile Scotland, which has been made slightly more difficult by the fact that I've never actually played Portal. Insomuch as I believe the game is realtime I would argue it's a FPS. I would also argue that any game where you're sole point of view is first person could be considered a FPS ( as long as it was real time). I can't remember if Descent included a 3rd person POV view option or not. Not sure about mech games either but I'd use the same criteria.

Return to “Classic Gaming”