The other E.T. games

Reserved for classic gaming discussions.
scotland

The other E.T. games

Postby scotland » February 27th, 2016, 12:26 pm

Did you know there are other E.T. games, contemporary to the infamous 2600 version?

Remember how Nintendo handled selling rights to Donkey Kong in the early 80s? They sold the home console rights to Coleco, who used it to good effect, but sold the home computer rights to Coleco's competitor Atari. Coleco saw their console as a possible root component of a larger system. (That was pretty common...even the NES is the 'control deck' and the SMS is the 'power base', which shows the idea was still around for Ninty and Sega too). When Coleco ran a version of Donkey Kong on their Adam, Atari saddled up the lawyers.

It seems that Spielberg might have done the same thing. He sold Atari the home console rights, but Texas Instruments got the home computer rights. There are several versions of E.T. games for the TI/99, but I have not played any of them. There are 2 videos on YouTube of games running on MAME. One is called E.T.'s and his adventures at sea. It comes up on Ebay on floppy disk. It may be an educational game. Atariage has a thread on a prototype game called E.T. and his adventures on land. Maybe there are others.

The most interesting one is called "E.T. The Extra Terrestrial", has a TI cart number of PHM 3125, dated 1st quarter of 1983, but may never have been released. Its a Frogger knock-off.
et3.png
et3.png (1.54 KiB) Viewed 1430 times

Retro STrife

Re: The other E.T. games

Postby Retro STrife » February 27th, 2016, 9:51 pm

Interesting. I didn't even realize that there were E.T. games for TI/99. Are they all just prototypes or did any get an actual release?

I bought an Atari XEGS a month or two ago, and bought E.T. Phone Home with it based on the VGC's review. Sounded interesting in his review, but I haven't tried it out yet.

Perhaps the most interesting Atari E.T. game is "E.T. Go Home" for the Atari 2600, which I think was only released in Europe. I had never heard of it until about a month ago when I was researching the E.T. Phone Home game. For anyone interested, I've attached a picture of it.
Attachments
et.jpg
et.jpg (22.46 KiB) Viewed 1405 times

CaptainCruch

Re: The other E.T. games

Postby CaptainCruch » March 1st, 2016, 3:23 pm

Besides the Atari 2600 game, I think the most well known is 'E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial' for Game Boy Advance, a kind a (spiritual?) sequel. A list of another E.T. games you kind find here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/E.T._the_Extra-Terrestrial_in_video_games.

Return to “Classic Gaming”