SNES Cleaning question

Reserved for classic gaming discussions.
Fingers dripping ink

SNES Cleaning question

Postby Fingers dripping ink » February 27th, 2016, 2:41 pm

I bought an SNES with, of all things, a temporary tattoo on it. I've read that nail polish remover is good for removing temporary tattoos, but that if applied to plastic it will melt/warp it. I don't want that to happen, so, any advice?

Rev

Re: SNES Cleaning question

Postby Rev » February 27th, 2016, 2:57 pm

Interesting... I didn't even know people were stupid enough to put a temporary tattoo on their consoles... I have zero experience with this type of issue but if it is anything like a sticker you might try the following options:

- a blowdryer- that would likely help heat up the plastic enough that the tattoo could safely be peeled off. Don't do it too long though.
- Goo Gone- This works for stickers so I think it would work for your console. The Goo Gone won't hurt the plastic as the SNES is made out of the same plastic as SNES games (I'm pretty sure), and I've Goo Goned, plenty of those safely. Basically spray over the tattoo, let it sit for a few minutes and then try to wipe it off with a cloth, baby wipe, wet paper towel (something so you're not trying to scratch the tattoo directly off the console, prevents scratches). make sure you don't spray anything other than the plastic with the Goo Gone. it can damage contacts and stuff like that.
-WD40- this works surprisingly well for residue. It probably isn't strong enough to tear through the tattoo by itself though.
-Rubbing Alcohol- this works sort of well. WD40 and Goo Gone work way better for removing residue.

I would recommend trying to blow dry it first, trying to scrape off the tattoo (once heated up) with a cloth, wipe, or paper towel, and then removing the residue with Goo Gone or WD40.

Things you definitely shouldn't use would be nail polish remover or magic erasers. Both will damage the plastic.

Fingers dripping ink

Re: SNES Cleaning question

Postby Fingers dripping ink » March 10th, 2016, 1:10 am

Thanks Rev.

Return to “Classic Gaming”