If Nintendo didnt have great mascots and handhelds, would they even be around anymore?

Reserved for classic gaming discussions.
Rookie1

If Nintendo didnt have great mascots and handhelds, would they even be around anymore?

Postby Rookie1 » March 4th, 2016, 6:39 pm

I was thinking the other day that if Sega had a better mascot who didnt have a slew of terrible games, they probably would still be producing consoles

I feel like that is the only reason Nintendo still has home consoles. After the SNES, all of their systems have been pretty lousy in terms of sales (of course excluding the fluke that was the wii), pretty much due to poor choices and heavy restrictions on 3rd party support.

The N64 was pretty much DOA with its cartridge limitations, and it was extremely hard to develop for which turned off 3rd party support. Then PS1 creamed it.

The GameCube was actually a competitor in turns of hardware, but they went with that stupid mini disc which, again, turned off 3rd part support. Also no DVD support. Then PS2 creamed it.

The Wii was a total fluke. Just a GameCube with motion controls. I see them collecting dust at thrift shops all the time now.

The WiiU is pretty much done with. No great 1st party stuff for it, no great 3rd party stuff. Super expensive. 10 year old graphics capabilities when new consoles are showing serious power. Poor sales overall.

Without their solid money making handhelds, thats enough to kill a game company. Their mascots seem to be the only selling point for these consoles. Everyone flocks to the new Mario, LoZ, and Metroid games. Without 1st party titles like that, there would have been no reason to buy any of those. But even those titles werent enough to dominate the market.

Hardcore Sadism

Re: If Nintendo didnt have great mascots and handhelds, would they even be around anymore?

Postby Hardcore Sadism » March 4th, 2016, 8:20 pm

Let's hope Nintendo's next hardware doesn't ride off the Sony's PlayStation Vita's fumes...

I mean, let's hope it's an actual powerhouse in more than just hardware.

Voor

Re: If Nintendo didnt have great mascots and handhelds, would they even be around anymore?

Postby Voor » March 5th, 2016, 7:58 am

Speaking from personal experience, Nintendo is still the first brand I think of when it does to video games. I'm in my mid 30s, so the NES was a critical part of my childhood memories. The SNES came along and was amazing! Then, the 64 came out with tons of hype, and delivered--fewer games, of course, but they were revolutionary.

The GameCube had some success, but could match the social experience the other consoles had. The Wii was a gimmick console that pulled non-traditional gamers into gaming (for a short while), and the Wii U hasn't really had a clear goal.

So yeah, their success today comes largely from their legacy, but after a run of weaker consoles (combined with younger gamers who weren't around when there were no Xbox and Playstation), it's not going to be enough.

They really need to nail it with the NX. Once again, it looks like they are going a risky route (no physical media...if that's true), but it may pay off. We'll know in a couple of years.

Back to your point, it is largely try that Nintendo has relied heavily on their franchises (Mario, Zelda, etc), but so have the other consoles to a degree (Halo, etc)

Herschie

Postby Herschie » March 5th, 2016, 11:21 am

Sure they'd be around, and they'd be making a fortune off of their playing cards.

scotland

Postby scotland » March 5th, 2016, 1:14 pm

Voor wrote:it is largely true that Nintendo has relied heavily on their franchises (Mario, Zelda, etc), but so have the other consoles to a degree (Halo, etc)

Remember when consoles and computers had the same games but very difference experiences? Donkey Kong on Intellivision vs Donkey Kong on Colecovision, or Prince of Persia on the Genesis versus the SNES. Now, these multiplatform games, even on PC, are kinda on a par.

I think Nintendo is thinking that the leveling of multiplats makes their exclusive IPs all the more valuable. However, they use too few titles and use them too infrequently, except Mario himself. Aren't we still waiting for a new Zelda on the WiiU. Why not a WiiU Luigi's Mansion, and use that gamepad for ghost busting. I think Nintendo is trying new IPs like Splatoon, and using others on the 3DS, but its still not enough to drive sales at what Nintendo is setting their prices. I think the NX is a way to focus on one catalog of games, while leveraging their handheld market dominance.

Sure the other companies have exclusives, but they also have those multiplats, and very popular online gaming communities. Even if Halo 5 has mixed reviews, I don't think it will hurt the XboxOne like a Zelda title that is received in the same way.

Tron

Postby Tron » March 6th, 2016, 2:20 am

You make some good points, but Nintendo has got a lot of great IPs. Mario & Zelda are tops, but I buy Nintendo for Fire Emblem and Advance Wars. I imagine there are Nintendo fans just for games like Metroid and Pikimin. Oh yea, don't forget the Amibios!!!!

Fingers dripping ink

Postby Fingers dripping ink » March 9th, 2016, 1:29 pm

Rookie1 wrote:I was thinking the other day that if Sega had a better mascot who didnt have a slew of terrible games, they probably would still be producing consoles.

The WiiU is pretty much done with. No great 1st party stuff for it, no great 3rd party stuff. Super expensive. 10 year old graphics capabilities when new consoles are showing serious power. Poor sales overall.

Without their solid money making handhelds, thats enough to kill a game company. Their mascots seem to be the only selling point for these consoles. Everyone flocks to the new Mario, LoZ, and Metroid games. Without 1st party titles like that, there would have been no reason to buy any of those. But even those titles werent enough to dominate the market.

You make a good point about Sega...but one thing about them is they KEEP MAKING CRAPPY GAMES, not just Sonic.

If Nintendo didn't use their IP and stuck to making original games, while keeping up their level of quality, they'd be fine.

Maybe the Wii U is about done, but have you played it? Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze is one of the greatest platformers ever made, Zombi U is an amazing, strange first person adventure, and although I own a bunch of Wii U games I'm only listing two because frankly I think it's worth buying the system for only these two. I think the Wii U has suffered from poor (read: terrible) advertising and the number of great games on the system that I want to play vs PS4/XBone make it a must-buy.

Return to “Classic Gaming”