SG-1000 Video/Audio over RF question

Reserved for classic gaming discussions.
SilvaHaloOne

SG-1000 Video/Audio over RF question

Postby SilvaHaloOne » March 9th, 2016, 7:16 pm

Hi Critic (or anyone else who can answer this question)

I have long been interested in an SG-1000, but the one other person I know who owns one tells me that the quality of the RF output for his is terrible, like when compared to his Atari and ColecoVision consoles. Dull and muted is how he describes it. He feels this way to a degree that he has taken to playing his SG-1000 games on his Japanese SMS, which works fine but has a modified color palette compared to the original system. Did you notice anything like this with your SG-1000? How do you feel the RF picture and sound quality is from the system? Or is yours modded?

Thanks for your time and the site. I have been an avid reader for more than a decade now...

--SilvaHaloOne

scotland

Re: SG-1000 Video/Audio over RF question

Postby scotland » March 9th, 2016, 8:17 pm

I don't have an SG-1000, but RF quality is an issue on many systems. Here are some general thoughts, but someone like Marriot Guy will probably have better advice.

I have had good luck with those cheap modern RF diect connectors. RF shielding can be an issue but the only way I know to address that are to use toroid ferrite metal rings to help reduce radio interefence. The quality of the cable can play a part too. Check the tv coax in jack, especially if are joining a length of coax to the RF out cable. If the SG 1000 is designed for outside the US, it may also not be well tuned for US television frequencies. Some systems have potentiometers to adjust the signal. The RF board itself may just need some resoldering. Sometimes its that this stuff is old, and capacitors can breakdown over the decades.

SilvaHaloOne

Postby SilvaHaloOne » March 9th, 2016, 8:43 pm

Thanks scotland

The one thing you mentioned that I had not considered is the fact that the Japanese system might not be well tuned for a US television. As I understand it, he has RG 6 plugged into his TV and then an RCA to F- adapter at the end of that cable and he manually plugs in which ever system he wants to play at the time. I think all of his other systems are domestic or use composite A/V... so I'll be sure to pass your suggestions on to him. All that said though, his setup works pretty well and video/sound from other RF consoles is great, which is what leads me to believe that it is the SG-1000. I'm actually asking this for me, because if it is a systematic issue with the SG-1000, instead of just his system, I become less interested in getting one myself.

--silvahaloone

Marriott_Guy

Postby Marriott_Guy » March 11th, 2016, 6:21 pm

Scotland is correct - it sounds like your friend does not have his television tuned correctly.

The frequency that Japanese systems transmitted its RF signal is sent at 91.25 and 97.25 MHz, respectively Channel 1 and Channel 2 in Japan. The problem is that neither of these frequencies have a direct match with any standard North American station(s) - these fall in between 'conventional' channels. The closest channels on your NTSC-U set, frequency wise, are 95 and 96. Your television must be able to tune to one of these respective channels. Some televisions can perform per-MHz tuning when receiving a signal that is not identical to the channel. This feature is a great addition and will provide you with the best picture (in lieu of having a Japanese television).

Hope this helps.

Terry

Gentlegamer

Postby Gentlegamer » March 11th, 2016, 10:41 pm

The Critic doesn't have a SG-1000, he plays on a Sega Mark III.

SilvaHaloOne

Postby SilvaHaloOne » March 13th, 2016, 4:02 pm

Hey, thanks for all the responses. I have passed this information on to my friend and will keep in touch with him to see if that changes anything or his recommendation to not get the system and instead look for a Japanese SMS to play the SG-1000 games.

--silvahaloone

Return to “Classic Gaming”